The Most Deserving of Mercy?

Roswell

10 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Second, the man was no threat to Arya.  Had done nothing harmful to Arya. 

No one ever implied he did? The world doesn't revolve around Arya alone. He harmed other people. Including one who was willing to pay the price to have the FM take him out. Well deserved. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mine in order from Most deserving of mercy to least, excluding Lady

1) Stannis soldiers burned to death for eating their dead. They were starving for Stannis, because of Stannis. They were given one of the worst deaths imaginable IMO. I don't feel like they should have been put to death at all let alone a torturing death. 

2) Merret Frey hanged by the brotherhood without banners after being promised safety. He didn't participate in the RW & was promised safety. The Stark's were also promised safety & were slaughtered at the Twins. I get the want for revenge on every Frey but it would have been much more satisfying had it been a Frey that actually did something at the RW. 

These two are the only ones IMO that didn't have to be put to death.

3) Gared beheaded by Ned Stark for deserting the Night's Watch. The punishment for deserting the NW is death. Ned had to kill him. Gared had a duty to return & tell them what he saw. However he was undoubtedly confused & scared shitless. What he did was understandable by pretty much anyone when they know the reasons. At least he got a quick death.

4) Elderly insurance underwriter poisoned by Arya under orders of the Faceless Men. I put this one here for lack of a better place to put him. It sounds like he was a pretty nasty dude & someone thought he was nasty enough that they were willing to pay a very high price to have him killed. Arya was operating under orders so I don't necessarily think she is in full blame here either. However, I don't feel like I have enough information about the man to say he deserved the death he got. A heart attack could be a very painful way to die. 

5) Dareon killed by Arya for deserting the Night's Watch? Again the punishment for desertion is death. It wasn't Arya's duty to provide that death though. Doesn't mean he necessarily deserved mercy but it does make the kill less justified. That & while we know he left Sam & co. to starve she didn't know that, her motives could have been as simple as wanting his boots. (I'm just joking... kinda. Part of her motive was definitely his desertion but Arya is a little nutty. She is probably my favorite character though)

6) Mirri Maz Duur burned alive for crimes against the Khal & possibly his unborn child. This one is so tricky because the khalasar had raped & pillaged her people. She had every reason to be angry & exact revenge. BUT Dany stopped them from continuing to rape her so why pick her to get revenge on? I think probably because that's where the opportunity presented it's self. That being said Dany was trying to help her whether or not MMD felt like it was "help" & she killed everything Dany held dear. Dany then had every reason to be angry & exact revenge. 

7) Janos Slynt executed by Lord Commander Jon Snow for insubordination. This one is easy to me. Janos was given an order by his LC several times. He knew the punishment for disobeying the order & did it anyway. Edd, fetch me a block. 

Cannibalism isn't just punished for the crime but the precedent it would set throughout the camp. It's a rot that needs to be cut off at the source, elsewise you do risk people being killed for meat. 

Burning alive is horrendous though. I doubt many will resort to it again. 

5 hours ago, TeethGrinder said:

Cannibalism isn't just punished for the crime but the precedent it would set throughout the camp. It's a rot that needs to be cut off at the source, elsewise you do risk people being killed for meat. 

Burning alive is horrendous though. I doubt many will resort to it again. 

I totally get it. They just incite the most sympathy from me. They didn't hurt anyone & acted out of starvation. I understand where it could have led if it was left unpunished but they didn't kill anyone & were just used as an example. 

On 7/8/2017 at 10:26 PM, The Transporter said:

Which one of the following is most deserving of mercy from their executioner(s)?  Please justify your choice.  And please, only pick one.  Pick only from this list.  This is meant to be a hard choice.  Thanks

(1)  The soldiers that Stannis burned to death for the crime of eating the dead during a period of starvation.

(2)  Merret Frey was hanged by the Brotherhood Without Banners after promising him safety and stealing the ransom money.

(3) Gared was traumatized by what he saw and was probably suffering from PTSD when Eddard executed him.

(4) Janos Slynt was executed by Jon Snow for initial insubordination and disrespectful behavior.

(5) Lady was executed by Eddard to appease the Baratheons.

(6) Mirri Maz Duur was executed by the Khaleesi for the murder of Rhaego and the treason against Khal Drogo.

(7) Daeron was killed by Arya Stark in Braavos.  The reasons behind the execution are not very clear but he was probably in the act of deserting the N-W.

(8) An elderly insurance underwriter-salesman-agent was executed by Arya in Braavos.  The man was allegedly guilty of refusing to pay out claims to the insured.

#8. The insurance agent.  Arya had no right to murder that man. 

Archived