Petyr Baelish and his Whore-net

Damon_Tor

11 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

shucks, I had to go google that neologism word, learned nuttin. :whip:

It means a 'made-up' or newly coined word ('neo-' means 'new'), e.g. 'nennymoan' or 'smokeberry.'  'Weirnet' is also a neologism, as is 'warging' ;).

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I did give it a 2.3 second thought to start calling it "KILS", as a sort of play in words with the band name KISS, and the idea paranoid parents had when they thought it meant Knights In Satans Service. 

I figured KILS as a double entendre acronym that means Knights In Littlefingers Service. 

But that is as far as I went :dunno:

The KILS-net

This shows how old and innocent I am. Whacha talkin' bout. :blushing:

10 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

All true enough. It's a meta argument, but a strong one. What kind of reveal could there even be for something like this? This might just kill it for me.

The risk of staying in King's Landing was too great, and his plan requires him to move on. It's going to limit Bran's power when he has to leave the cave as well (assuming he ever will).

Imma 'bout to make dinner, but I'll get back to you on these. (Yes, late again!) 

10 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

IIRC, the time he thought he was having sex with Cat was before his NDE.

This part kinda goes along with my trying to understand this. He would know he didn't have sex with Cat because he doesn't have a psi-link to her. He would have one to Lysa, which could add to why and how he manipulated her the way he did, but it also should reveal to him that he never did IT with Cat. 

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

This part kinda goes along with my trying to understand this. He would know he didn't have sex with Cat because he doesn't have a psi-link to her. He would have one to Lysa, which could add to why and how he manipulated her the way he did, but it also should reveal to him that he never did IT with Cat. 

Maybe he wasn't even capable of forming a psychic link before the NDE, or at least maybe that's what he told himself.

12 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

This shows how old and innocent I am. Whacha talkin' bout. :blushing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_(band)

(I am also too young for this, but I have several older siblings and older close cousins that talked about it. I just happened to remember it) 

2 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Yeah, it's implied he might have had the opportunity-- when Lysa paid frequent visits to his convalescence tower to comfort and 'nurse' him (*cough*) back to life..!

When would you say she conceived their bastard child (the first one, that is...)?

I don't think Bran connected with Jon from the crypts, given the warg-blocking barrier posed by the Wall.  See my argument above!  

Oh, I just always assumed LF would not have been strong enough to have sex during that period of time. Hoster sent him away as soon as he was strong enough to be carried off in a litter, which is not very strong. And it took him 2 weeks just to get to that point. And I assume the maester (Luwin?) was frequently checking in, which would be another small obstacle to sexy time.

They certainly could have had sex during that period of time though. But if not, Lysa could have gotten impregnated just from their first night together, which is what happened with Cat and Ned. lol the "first" one :P (cough.. cough.. LF was in KL with Lysa for years.. cough..)

Your argument about Bran contacting Jon through time from BR's cave makes a lot of sense, but it is contradicted a bit by this quote from Bran:

He remembered who he was all too well; Bran the boy, Bran the broken. Better Bran the beastling. Was it any wonder he would sooner dream his Summer dreams, his wolf dreams? Here in the chill damp darkness of the tomb his third eye had finally opened. He could reach Summer whenever he wanted, and once he had even touched Ghost and talked to Jon. Though maybe he had only dreamed that.

• 10 months later...
On 8/1/2017 at 12:23 PM, Damon_Tor said:

... I've been wrestling with the idea that Petyr could have access to magic of some form or another. Now, I've believed for a while that Petyr knows about magic and carefully takes magic into account in his schemes but the idea that Petyr has, himself, some kind of magic at his disposal didn't sit well with me, and at first I dismissed it.

One of the points the OotGH made that I took issue with: they claim that Bran's infiltration of Jon's wolfdream is evidence that psychic contact doesn't need a "net" because Bran did this while neither he and Jon were in proximity to a weirwood. The problem here is that Bran explicitly uses the native psychic connection between Ghost and Summer to enter Jon's dream. And because Petyr has no psychic network, he can't make telepathic contact, making it hard to swallow that he orchestrated the attempt on Bran's life and debunking the core of the magic Baelish hypothesis. Right?

The whores.

In other words, could Baelish be using his whores to create a psychic network, spreading his influence to patrons of his whorehouses?

I just followed the link you provided in the Knight of the Seven Kingdoms discussion - thanks for that. It is helpful to see the broader discussion and I realize I was imagining something different than the psychic connection people were discussing here. I know I am late to this discussion and everyone else may be completely done but I'll just throw in my two cents.

Littlefinger and the Kindly Man seem to be parallels to me. One is manipulating Sansa and the other is manipulating Arya. One of the things Arya is taught to do is to keep her eyes (or other senses) open for new things each day and to report back to the Kindly Man. I was picturing Littlefinger's network operating more like that, with each sex worker gathering info and reporting back to a madame who would feed the information to Littlefinger. I thought maybe the prostitutes themselves have the psychic link - if they have sex with a man or other partner, maybe they can "download" information from the person's brain and report it back to headquarters.

An in-world analogy might be a raven that is carrying a message intended for one person but making a stop along the way to share that message with Littlefinger. He isn't the tree or the raven, he is the guy with handfuls of corn. He doesn't have to have sex with every prostitute for this system to work - he gets his information the old fashioned way - hearing or the written word - not through a psychic connection to each prostitute. Maybe he had sex with a few of the sex workers to launch the process. Based on what we know of Jeyne Poole's experience, there is also violence involved in getting the girl to cooperate. :(As those initial women train the next generation of prostitutes, the bond and the loyalty are extended and the network grows.

(Regarding Bran's connection with Jon when Bran was in the crypt and Jon was beyond the Wall: Ygritte tells Jon a story about free folk following a tunnel under the Wall that lets out at Winterfell. The unique connection between Winterfell's crypt and the Otherworld has been forgotten, since no one goes into the lower levels of the crypt, but Bran's greenseer powers could have traveled through this tunnel. Alternatively, the connection might have involved the Milkwater river, over which Jon is standing when he sees "his brother" in the tree - the person he sees or senses is not specifically identified as Bran, as I recall. The river could be the connection that allows the brothers to communicate. But I digress.)

On 8/3/2017 at 5:54 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

There is nothing special enough about the brothels to put them in the same terrain as caves, hollow hills, magic gates, etc. The prostitutes come and go and there is only one such establishment that has anything special to it, Chataya's with her "hand's tunnel". A hotly debated hole right there.

I think that inns are major nodes or magical gateways (or whatever you want to call them). We have a number of POV characters meeting up with important guides at inns, learning important information, eating stuff from bowls, changing paths, killing someone, etc. Inns are linked to brothels by this conversation between Arya and Gendry at The Peach:

... Arya remembered what Syrio Forel had told her, the trick of looking and seeing what was there. When she looked, she saw more serving wenches than any inn could want, and most of them young and comely. And come evenfall, lots of men started coming and going at the Peach. They did not linger long in the common room ... The wooden steps were old and steep, and creaked something fierce whenever one of the men took a girl upstairs. "I bet this is a brothel," she whispered to Gendry.

"You don't even know what a brothel is."

"I do so," she insisted. "It's like an inn, with girls."

(ASoS, Arya V, Chap. 29)

Archived