Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Datepalm

Public Transport in AMERICA

62 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Lord of Oop North said:

I think he has a good a shot as any. When Byford was brought on to Toronto, our system was not as bad as yours but it certainly wasn't running great. He also had a very hostile government to deal with. In the time he's been here, we haven't got a perfect system, but it has certainly improved a lot. 

Mostof all, I think that he really improved working relationships both within the Byzantine TTC and between the TTC and th city government. It is pretty impressive  considering that he was a complete outsider (came to Toronto via Australia). That experience should really help him in NYC.

And what hasn't improved and is causing the big crisis isn't really his fault anyway (Bombardier being late on streetcar deliveries).

I just read a New York Times article about him, if he can make congestion pricing happen, and get tolls on the East River bridges he might have a chance of getting the money he's going to need to accomplish something halfway positive, he's going to find out PDQ that talk, or even mention of the possibility of closing the subway at night on a permanent basis isn't going to go over well. Bombardier lost the chance to build the new subway cars here because of that.

On 2018-01-10 at 4:20 PM, SpaceChampion said:

I wish we had more a extensive subway system in Toronto, but apparently the soil / bedrock is swiss cheese with underground ravines, so it is impractical in most places.

Well, decades of underinvestment will give that impression. 

Newfoundland doesn't have much of any public transit apart from buses in St John's. We once had a railway running all the way across the province, but the feds pulled the plus on it around 1990 with the promise of reinvesting in the Trans-Canada Highway. I suppose it's better than it was then, but passing lanes here and there don't make up for the ruts from the trucks, especially when said lanes are plowed more in theory than in practice in the winter...

Anyway, rail is viable when you want it to be viable.