NBA 2018 - Soup's on!

Jaime L

1 hour ago, SkynJay said:

Love the nuggets win, but it was a race to see which center was going to foul out on BS calls by the end, both KAT and Jokic were getting stupid calls in the second half.

Word. The refs were awful. 

Damn, I know it's Friday but c'mon.  I'm hyped up because I've been saying for the past week that this game is the most influential Sixers game in 15 years!  And it turned out to be a great game.  Tyrone Lue is suspect.  I was shocked that the Cavs didn't hack Simmons.

Good lord the Nuggets are still in the hunt.  One game playoff on Wednesday.  I am in shock, has completely written them off.

And man i wonder how good they would be if Nurkic had been willing to come off the bench rather than quit on them.

7 hours ago, SkynJay said:

Good lord the Nuggets are still in the hunt.  One game playoff on Wednesday.  I am in shock, has completely written them off.

And man i wonder how good they would be if Nurkic had been willing to come off the bench rather than quit on them.

That quirk of scheduling is truly amazing.  To play 81 games and have it come down to the last game and the two teams just happen to play each other?  That’s awesome.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

That quirk of scheduling is truly amazing.  To play 81 games and have it come down to the last game and the two teams just happen to play each other?  That’s awesome.

yeah its pretty amazing. When was the last time this happened?

10 hours ago, SkynJay said:

Wednesday means war!  

29 minutes ago, sperry said:

And the game isn't even on TV. Thankfully, I have league pass and will be able to watch, but otherwise you're SOL.

Which blows my mind that they can't shuffle the schedule and get this one on TV.

It's on TV here, but I agree, it should be a nationally televised game. 

In other news, I heard a really interesting take today on something we've discussed recently: The Decision. Bomani Jones was arguing that it's actually one of the most important positive events in the history of the NBA, and it has nothing to do with basketball. In the post Decision landscape, we've gotten so much more access to athletes, and they've been more than happy to reciprocate.

He's got a point. 

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's on TV here, but I agree, it should be a nationally televised game. 

In other news, I heard a really interesting take today on something we've discussed recently: The Decision. Bomani Jones was arguing that it's actually one of the most important positive events in the history of the NBA, and it has nothing to do with basketball. In the post Decision landscape, we've gotten so much more access to athletes, and they've been more than happy to reciprocate.

He's got a point. 

The Decision has nothing to do with why we have more access to athletes, though. It's the introduction of new and better communication channels, i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. The Decision was an ill-conceived publicity stunt on an old-world media platform. It was a rip-off of the "hat dance" that college football recruits had been doing on TV for 5+ years at that point.

8 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

That was a horrible inbound play anyway.  This is killing me.  Barton has given away the nuggets' chances on multiple occasions. 

Murray seems like the guy to trust in big moments. 

Jokic is a great offensive talent but he's no threat on the other end.  And he played soft late in this game.  There's a reason why defense wins championships.  Refs won't give you those easy calls in big games and he was constantly looking to be bailed out and earn two at the line.

9 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Jokic is a great offensive talent but he's no threat on the other end.  And he played soft late in this game.  There's a reason why defense wins championships.  Refs won't give you those easy calls in big games and he was constantly looking to be bailed out and earn two at the line.

That is a great hot take for the AM radio show.  A couple cliches and saying not much at all.

Jokic is not much defensively, that is true, though he at least is a rebounding machine down there.  But he is not just a great offensive talent he is a game changing talent.  He carried a team that couldn't shoot all night.  I am not going to cuss about the refs because they allowed maulings on both ends but he wasn't looking for 'easy calls,' early in OT KAT racked a forearm across his nose as he went up for a no call ( the airball that ended up being reviewed for a shot clock violation).

To say he played soft is silly, he played the same game is always does.  He isn't a muscle you out of the way guy and he can barely jump; he wont take over the game powering in and throwing down a monster jam.  He did however clear a space and feed a wide open Will Barton to tie the game back up late in OT...who missed a floater. 

The Nuggets got 8 games better this year with their free agent signing out over half the season and their leading scorer down during the final stretch.  Jokic and Harris are 23, Murry is 21.  I don't know if Jokic can take Denver to a championship; this is the NBA after all.  But I doubt the Nuggets will miss the playoffs again for as long as Jokic is on the team. I am damn pissed this morning and can name a couple of bench players that need to be swapped out but this is a very young team that I will gladly take the future of. 

And Jokic should be the third team all NBA choice for fives; he outplayed KAT last night but didn't have anyone step up to be his Jimmy Butler.  Neither center could stop the other one from scoring so it wasn't defense that defined that matchup. 

1 hour ago, SkynJay said:

I am not going to cuss about the refs because they allowed maulings on both ends but he wasn't looking for 'easy calls,' 

Dude, he was complaining all night long and he got away with 20+ offensive fouls. He hooks guys every time he goes into the post. I have no idea how he gets away with that.

Archived