Rickon's role to play

3 hours ago, Chris Mormont said:

But I agree that Manderly is planning for his granddaughter to marry Rickon.

and he has every right to do this, if rickon accepts or not is a different story

3 hours ago, Chris Mormont said:

Whether Davos finds him or not is another story.  Even if he does trace them to Skagos, I don't think Osha will be quick to accept Davos and his story.  I think this is where something goes terribly wrong and Rickon dies, accidentally. 

i agree, hell even if he is alive is unknown, davos could find osha with a dead boy.

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

For Manderley, maybe? 

Yeah, that is my thought.  I think Rickon existence at this point is for a narrative reason similar to the hill clans fighting for Stannis.  They go to war, explicitly to die in fact, to save "the Ned's" little girl.  All of this is meant to show, thematically, that while Ned may have lost the game of thrones when he lost his head, his legacy is one that lives on and continues to inspire both his children and his people.  Similarly, Manderly is risking his life and his family to put a Stark back in Winterfell; contrast it to Tywin Lannister, who "won" the war but whose brutality and cruelty and emotional abuse of his children is destroying his family and his legacy - even his corpse was literally rotting on its bier.

4 hours ago, Chris Mormont said:

Where have I seen this before?

On 22/03/2018 at 8:36 AM, chrisdaw said:

I think Rickon's role may be for Jon to let him die. Obviously I'm borrowing from other media to come to this conclusion.

On 4/18/2018 at 5:21 PM, Euron Lannister said:

i still would like to see a Rickon vs Sansa council vote, so i'm happy that george consider him major

the second one is interesting, i would like to see a Myrcella-rosamund swap by doran martell and her being major lets me hope

while barristan, he's a pov in the upcoming Meereenish pov-zoo, of cause he is major, but it also speaks for him not dying during the battle, which i would like. especially to read Barristan-Victarion-Tyrion scenes ^^

Me too. I've been mentioning that here and there for a while. Seems like the value of a nearly identical cousin for a stunt double has escaped a lot of people.

Another good option is Arys having switched the girls before they even got to Dorne. 

Either one leaves Myrcella and her burgeoning beauty intact, something that could be an issue with Cersei who is starting to lose her own looks. Myrcella could even be the YMBQ.

9 hours ago, Chris Mormont said:

Whether Davos finds him or not is another story.  Even if he does trace them to Skagos, I don't think Osha will be quick to accept Davos and his story.  I think this is where something goes terribly wrong and Rickon dies, accidentally. 

I would agree if I hadn't found that interview. It was one of his more recent ones. I don't really see Martin assigning "major" character status to Rickon if he's killing him off shortly after putting him the page again.

Not saying he'll be standing over everyone else's corpses at the end of the series, but there's a good chance Rickon is at least making it back home before he dies.

Archived