NBA Thread

Caliban

:rofl:

I would too. Question is, how does Wade heal? I honestly haven't heard any word so I got no clue.

Teams that I'm highly curious about: Seattle, Houston, Boston, New York (Oh fuck yes), Golden State. BTW, I'm still pissed about Oden's injury. Was really looking forward to see him play. So cross Portland off the list.

Teams I'm sick of: San Antonio, Cleveland, San Antonio, Detroit, San Antonio, LA Lakers, San Antonio, New Jersey Nets, San Antonio. Also want to mention the Spurs.

Is it bad that I'm rooting for two things to happen this season? The Suns to win the championship, since they're the most exciting team (NJ or Toronto would also be acceptable, I'm a homer), and for the Knicks to go 0-82? Or is that allowed?

Why are people laughing that Gordon's intense offseason that included regular pilates would lead to added explosiveness.

Also Longboader,

Deng gets to the hoop off ball as good as any 3 in the league.

Does anyone here get NBA League Pass?

I dont, and I really like watching NBA basketball. The thing is, I get a bulls game ever other night almost and then 2 great matchups ion Thursday night for the TNT broadcast. Also you have the network televised weekend matchups. The matinees. Thats pretty much enough NBA for me in a week.

If you root for an out of market team, then the league pass might be a must.

Dick Lance,

No team in the East matches up the Bull. Your thirty nminutes of the big 3 are met with 30 minutes of a 10 man rotation. What makes Skiles a great coach? The fact that he makes 10 guys on a team erxtremely important. Ben and Noah can can play good post defense, and if Garnet faces the basket from 16, Noc can man him up. Pierce has never had a cast. You dont know what he can do with a cast. Im nnot certain he wont Stackhouse. Allen is old and can create shit for himself anymore. You have two old peremeter shooters and one of them cant create for himself. You really think the Bulls can defend the Celts? All three guys have lost a step, and all three guys have been perenial losers. You have a team of old losers facing a team of hungry young winners. Bulls will hammer any team out of the East with exception to the possibility that Lebron will take over a game. That said, Lebron wont take over 4-7 games against the Bulls. Deng.

Bulls take the East. Beat the Mavs in 6.

Hee.

Seriously, though. After watching the first preseason games, no one looks old yet. Shit, Tony Allen's coming off his second knee surgery and he still looked good going up on a dunk. He was scared to come down, but still. There are dudes in their 30s playing good ball in the NFL, linebackers even, in a sport where decline sets in much more rapidly. Given how well Allen, Pierce and Garnett take care of themselves, I'd expect each to be able to play at a high level offensively until they are all 34 or 35. Obviously barring unforseen freak injury or if Pierce/Allen's injuries from last year develop into something chronic. D would be the first thing to go and it's not like Allen and Pierce ever relied on their D to be successful anyways. I'd give them until 2010. Worst comes to worst, Allen expires that year, Pierce in 2011 and KG in 2012.

One of the cool things about the "Big Three" is that Allen doesn't need to create for himself, really, because he allows Pierce to focus on getting to the hoop. In the past, Pierce has had to be everything for the Celtics. An inside threat, a midrange threat, an outside threat, he had to handle the ball constantly and bust his ass on defense. Now, with Garnett and Allen, he can be free to be Paul Pierce. And, obviously, Pierce and Garnett free up Allen to do what he does best. Just like with every team in every sport, it will come down to injury. If Pierce, Garnett and Allen are healthy and rested for the playoffs, it should be good. Pierce took a bunch of scrubs and a fat chucker as his second option to the ECF. Garnett went to the WCF with an old Sprewell as the third best player, dude averaged like 15 RPG in those playoffs. No matter what angle you come from, a recently turned 32 year old Ray Allen coming of a 26 PPG season is better than a 33/34 year old Sprewell.

I'm not worried yet. But, you know, recent team history sucks. Two players have dropped dead, two lotteries have gone the wrong way, Pitino went against the scouts and took Ron Mercer over TMac, or where M.L. Carr told Ben Wallace during his stint with the Celtics that he had to become a 3 if he wanted to "make it" in the league, the 2001 draft (where the C's told Gilbert Arenas they were going to pick him and then, you know, picked Joe Forte instead. After already drafting Kedrick Brown) and just a bunch of other shit. I'm sure all three guys will suffer career ending injuries at some point this season.

[snip]

No, no...I'm a fair-weather Celtics fan...I need you to reassure me and tell me this team is going to be great with no heartache. I actually wouldn't call myself a fair-weather fan because I never really liked basketball and I really just started getting into it and the team mid-way through last season. Weird time to start becoming a fan, but I really enjoyed all the young players and was really excited about seeing them develop. Fortunately, losing the young kids wasn't so bad, obviously, although a part of me does wish we could have just watched this team develop all together. Still, we have Rondo to enjoy watch become a great all around player..other than shooting, which is better but not great still. This team will do big things, now Scal is even an asset as off the bench...I mean before, ugh, who wants a big goofy Irishman with bitch tits as a starter. Off the bench he can bring a lot of intensity, some solid D, and will drain a couple 3s from near half court. It will certainly be an interesting season...this is all a result of my roommate who is an ENORMOUS Celts fan and has been for some time, so he is obviously going nuts with excitement now.

Does anyone here get NBA League Pass?

I'm trying to decide whether its worth getting but the descriptions are vague about whether I will get all the games for my team.

They show all the games that are not on national TV. Games of local teams (that are on some local channel anyway) are blacked out, but if you have basic cable (ESPN, TNT, FSN) + league pass, you had each NBA game covered.

(NBA TV started showing regular season games as well. From what I understand, they plan to show 1 game pretty much every day and the games there are technically are not on the league pass, but AFAIK, they throw in a free NBA TV subscription when you get the league pass, so you'll get those covered as well.)

I bought it 2 years ago and it's definitely worth the money IMO. It just takes way too much time for me, I'm tempted to watch all the games they show, so I'm not getting it anymore.

I would too. Question is, how does Wade heal? I honestly haven't heard any word so I got no clue.

I've read a little about it, and sounds like he's doing well. Shoulder and knee are coming along, and he's only supposed to miss the first 2 weeks of the season.

We lost Kapono, Posey and Eddie Jones and had no draft picks. Our only acquisition was Penny Hardaway, who's washed up and Smush Parker (hate that guy).

But Marcus Slaughter looks like he might make the roster an and young guys like Daquan Cook, Wright, may get a chance to earn some minutes now. I like the team.

Also Longboader,

Deng gets to the hoop off ball as good as any 3 in the league.

I'm really glad you told me this. I've been wondering how good Deng was off-the-ball for years now. It's a relief to hear that he's good at it.

I ordered NBA league pass but it doesn't look like they will show any preseason games.

I used to get League Pass, but had to cancel it this year. Just can't afford it. Do you actually want to watch preseason games? That's some serious dedication right there.

I used to get League Pass, but had to cancel it this year. Just can't afford it. Do you actually want to watch preseason games? That's some serious dedication right there.

Im currently watching the Bulls Bucks game.

And I swear to god, Loul during this post went give and go and two hand slammed it. He can get to the damn rim off ball.

Also, its 58-56 Bulls with 5 left in the 3rd. Im not going to go nuts about it, but ya, I want the W. God damn right I want the W.

ETA: Im pretty sure Ive posted about how when I was 18 I got kicked out the UC during a preseason game. Thats 100% true.

And I swear to god, Loul during this post went give and go and two hand slammed it. He can get to the damn rim off ball.

Also, its 58-56 Bulls with 5 left in the 3rd. Im not going to go nuts about it, but ya, I want the W. God damn right I want the W.

I don't want to put too much on this game. But we could be witnessing an Eastern Conference Divisional Playoff matchup.

I don't want to put too much on this game. But we could be witnessing an Eastern Conference Divisional Playoff matchup.

I totally agree. The Bucks have some great young talent and Michael Redd is the type of player that gives the Bulls trouble on D. Liek I said, it doesnt mean much to me, but Id like to a see a victory tonight.

ETA: Thomas Gardner just postered Yi. I love this game!

How does Yi look?

Big deal. I can dunk it too. With two hands, even.

ETA: Im pretty sure Ive posted about how when I was 18 I got kicked out the UC during a preseason game. Thats 100% true.

Never heard that story. What for? Who were you heckling?

How does Yi look?

Not good. 5 fould in 16 minutes. He had a one on one break on Noah and Noah stripped him.

Never heard that story. What for? Who were you heckling?

I was yelling at an official. I dont remember what we thought we saw that the ref didnt, but it created enough of a scene to get us expelled. I also remember an usher yelling at us too.

I was yelling at an official. I dont remember what we thought we saw that the ref didnt, but it created enough of a scene to get us expelled. I also remember an usher yelling at us too.

I'll bet it was Ron Garretson you were yelling at. That's just the kind of dick move that I can see him doing: tossing out some kids for heckling him at a preseason game.

A little off topic, but I got suspended from school and thrown off the basketball team when I was a sophomore in high school. Me and my buddy got it into our heads to egg the track team when they were having their end-of-season awards ceremony in the gym. So we dressed up all in black, put pantyhose over our heads, ran in and each threw about a dozen eggs, then took off. Of course, geniuses that we are, we didn't realize that egging the TRACK team was a bad idea.

About 20 guys took off running after us. We split up. My buddy got away but I got outrun and gangtackled in about 30 seconds (damn pakalolo!).

Of course, geniuses that we are, we didn't realize that egging the TRACK team was a bad idea.

About 20 guys took off running after us. We split up. My buddy got away but I got outrun and gangtackled in about 30 seconds (damn pakalolo!).

:rofl:

Did you go after the riflery club next?

hey people,

any houston fans ? everybody else should be a little interested too . tomorrow houston rockets face Panathinaikos B.C. the european champions on a club level (and the team of my heart :D ) its a friendly game but i hope that it will be a good game and the teams will perform their respective abilities though its so early in the season. I dont know much about the rockets other than yiao ming but if you want ot watch the game i can tell you where you can keep your attention. Last year panathinaikos won a triple crown and dimitris diamantidis was voted the most valuable player of the euroleague tournament (thats the top european club competition) he is the soul and engine of the team . a playmaker of incredible versatility , he passes , he scores, he defends and he is the epitome of the european basketball player , crafted and nourished by the greatest coach that graces european courts , zelimir Obradovic. we lost one of our most useful players of last year Siscauskas but he is replaced now with Giasikevicius. A player who left europe as the MVP and winner of three triple crowns but never played his basketball on your side of the sport(or pond). i imagine that he might want to prove something in this game and he will be extra determined. Another important figure will be Vassilis Spanoulis. He spent last year in the rockets but he was never given a chance to play, too. he decided to come back to us and the style of basketball he understands perhaps. i really thought that he would be ok in NBA but either his fault or his former coach he "failed".

lastly i want you to witness what has obradovic made of Mike Batist. thats where i think you can see the most distinctive differences. when he came to greece he was the usuall american center. a few years later he is a player with deep understanding of european basketball who can play all 3 tall positions.

i didnt mean to overtone the meaning of the match , i m just excited that we will eventually play this game and i think that other than the entertaining factor it will be a very interesting clash.

Archived