NBA Thread

Caliban

link

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA has spoken with the Los Angeles Lakers about a sexual reference coach Phil Jackson made in a comment following Tuesday night's game in San Antonio.

The Spurs made 13 3-pointers in their 107-92 victory, and Jackson was asked if too much penetration was leading to open outside shooters.

"We call this a 'Brokeback Mountain' game, because there's so much penetration and kickouts," Jackson said. "It was one of those games."

The 2005 film, which won three Oscars, depicts two cowboys who conceal their homosexual affair.

"The remarks are in poor taste, and the Lakers have assured us such remarks will not occur in the future," league spokesman Brian McIntyre said.

I found this to be quite amusing.

Well this certainly seems a little premature...

07 Celtics vs 96 Bulls

That's AWESOME. I love that it says "On Pace to Finish: 82-0" Wow...is nothing else happening on the east coast that they can report? I mean I know they can't see past Chicago as far as sports, but wow.

Haven't seen this report anywhere other than Rotoworld, but it looks like Kobe might have been traded to the Pistons....until he vetoed the deal.

Rotoworld sources are relaying that Detroit radio station 1270 AM reported Wednesday that the Lakers and Pistons had a "done deal" as of 6:45 PM on Tuesday that would have sent Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Amir Johnson and a first-round pick to the Lakers for Kobe Bryant.

Both teams had reportedly agreed to the deal, but Bryant alledgedly vetoed it with his no-trade clause, apparently not wanting to go to a depleted Detroit team. It will be interesting to see how the Pistons' players mentioned in the deal react to this news.

Haven't seen this report anywhere other than Rotoworld, but it looks like Kobe might have been traded to the Pistons....until he vetoed the deal.

That'd be a horrible deal for the Pistons. Give up Tayshaun and Amir for that ball hog cry-baby rapist? Not a good move.

I didn't see any recent posts about KG...;)

Im now firmly in the I fucking hate the Celtics crowd. Fuck the Celts.

The current populous of Boston Sports Nation has to be the biggest collection of pieces of shit ever. Im not saying you are a piece of shit Week because you pull for Boston teams. But you are a piece of shit anyway. Shithead.

Im now firmly in the I fucking hate the Celtics crowd. Fuck the Celts.

The current populous of Boston Sports Nation has to be the biggest collection of pieces of shit ever. Im not saying you are a piece of shit Week because you pull for Boston teams. But you are a piece of shit anyway. Shithead.

:cry: ::runs away crying from NBA threads forever..::

:P

The games are unbelievable to watch so far this season. Such a great, selfless team. In some ways they are the antithesis of what I hate about basketball. Also fun to watch some of the young guys that are left get better like Rondo (jumper is improving) and Perkins (improving his feel in the offensive end, also we know call him Kendrick Ramses the III because his beard makes him look like an Egyptian king). Also, Posey is the man, just pure hustle player off the bench....and also Leon Powe will be getting much more time per game by the end of the season, what a skillset he has.

Both teams had reportedly agreed to the deal, but Bryant alledgedly vetoed it with his no-trade clause, apparently not wanting to go to a depleted Detroit team. It will be interesting to see how the Pistons' players mentioned in the deal react to this news.

That's interesting. If true, I wonder what kind of a deal Kobe is hoping for. I don't think there are many potential matches (teams that are both willing and able to come with a package appealing to Lakers), that's why we keep hearing Chicago again and again. Nobody is trading Lebron or Wade to get him (only T-mac makes somewhat sense, even that should be long shot). Whereever he goes, it will almost surely be for a number of players, leaving the recipient team depleted.

The situation is Detroit with what's left of this deal is actually quite decent. He will end up with 2 bona fide All-Stars (admittedly old, but can still play at a high level) and a bunch of decent role players. I don't know if he can get much better than that. Only thing I can assume is, he has an opt clause after next year and Detroit probably wanted some type of a gurantee for an extention. Given the ages of Billups and Rasheed, that team could probably contend for a championship for 2-3 years, but will probably turn into the current Miami Heat after that. Maybe he was not willing to commit for too long. Still, I would have taken those two years. He can always whine his way out after that. ;)

That'd be a horrible deal for the Pistons. Give up Tayshaun and Amir for that ball hog cry-baby rapist? Not a good move.

Dude....If you are a Pistons fan, I can understand overvaluing your own players, but come on now. I know everybody and their mother is hyping up Amir Johnson, but he hasn't shown anything yet. Did he even appear in 20 games in his career? Pistons would come out like robbers if this deal hapenned.

Thomas made an interesting comment about Marbury: ""My goal is to try to win a basketball game," Thomas said. "I've played with people I don't like, I've won with people I don't like. We're a professional basketball team. My job is to try to win a basketball game.

"However I feel about a person, that doesn't matter. We're trying to win. Whatever happened in the past is in the past and we move forward."

Really must help team unity and atmosphere of family.

For the C's - was nice to see the rest of the team show their game on a night when the big 3 didn't have their normal numbers. They're still playing the 2nd tier, but so far they've got the best shooting defense in the league.

The Zen Masters "Brokeback Mountain" apology was classic.

I'd really love to see the Knicks lose 20 straight this year at some point.

Eventually, the Lakers will realize that nobody is going to give them appropriate value for Kobe AND retain a team that Kobe won't veto going to, and will either A) just fucking deal with it, or B) take the Bill Simmons trade and send him to Phoenix for Marion, Bell, and Atlanta's first-round pick this year.

Yeah, is there a bigger trainwreck than the Knicks right now? Heard rumors about Marbury confronting Thomas after losing his starting spot saying "you can't bench me, I'll share the things I know." Some quality guys there.

Raises the question I can't wrap my mind around: what the hell is wrong with James Dolan?

Yeah, is there a bigger trainwreck than the Knicks right now? Heard rumors about Marbury confronting Thomas after losing his starting spot saying "you can't bench me, I'll share the things I know." Some quality guys there.

Raises the question I can't wrap my mind around: what the hell is wrong with James Dolan?

Here's the quote:

"Isiah has to start me," Marbury reportedly said, according to the Daily News. "I've got so much [stuff] on Isiah and he knows it. He thinks he can [get] me. But I'll [get] him first. You have no idea what I know."

:cry: ::runs away crying from NBA threads forever..::

:P

The games are unbelievable to watch so far this season. Such a great, selfless team. In some ways they are the antithesis of what I hate about basketball. Also fun to watch some of the young guys that are left get better like Rondo (jumper is improving) and Perkins (improving his feel in the offensive end, also we know call him Kendrick Ramses the III because his beard makes him look like an Egyptian king). Also, Posey is the man, just pure hustle player off the bench....and also Leon Powe will be getting much more time per game by the end of the season, what a skillset he has.

It must be good to be a Boston fan right now. The Red Sox, the Pats and now the Celtics. They also have the Revolution in the MLS cup.

At least the Bruins still suck (they do still suck don't they? If not, the world must be coming to an end).

Not a good time to be a NY sports fan. The Giants look to be the Giants, the Jets look to be the Jets. The Knicks were a possible playoff team but seem to be screwing it up. The Rangers were a preseason pick to win the Stanley Cup and can't score. The Yanks just weren't that good this year and may lose A-rod. (and the MLS team is called the Red Bulls).

Dude....If you are a Pistons fan, I can understand overvaluing your own players, but come on now. I know everybody and their mother is hyping up Amir Johnson, but he hasn't shown anything yet. Did he even appear in 20 games in his career? Pistons would come out like robbers if this deal hapenned.

Actually... I don't know why the hell it says Amir in my post. I meant for it to say Tayshaun and Rip Hamilton. But it'd be confusing as hell if I went back and edited it now...

Bottom line... yes, if we're talking individual players... Kobe is far and away the best player in the NBA and I don't even think its close. Scoring, defense, and the ability to take over a game are unmatched. If we're talking about players who can lead you to a title... not gonna be Kobe by a long shot. If Detroit made that trade, it would change the whole dynamic of the team and set them back by 5 years.

Archived