Ball, Ball, Ball, Footie, Footie, Footie

Paddy

In a sense, no, it isn't: the rule has been there for a while. But other than Andy Webster, no player has tried to use it. This is the first time it has been enforced. And the key part, the level of compensation payable, has not been decided until this case. So this is something new, in effect.

seriously ? thats the first time? i thought it happened a lot. maybe its because i ve been doing it in football manager for years :D

basically you can offer a player a three year contract and on the end of the second year offer a new one. no bonus on signing just modified wages (or the same wages) . and this can go on. so the player is set for three years and the team can be safe too . most players on most teams are not liable to use this clause anyway.

again i dont say its a positive thing but we ll have to see what happens.

question : if you are an accountant , can you buy out your contract with a firm?

There's no point in a club offering a deal longer than a player can actually be held to.

Except that if you offer someone over 28 a two year deal, they can begin talking to other clubs 6 months before their contract runs out. If you offer them a 3 year deal then they have to wait until 2 whole years of the contract have elapsed before dealing with other clubs. So there's a point to 3 year contracts.

(Simply add one to the years for under 28s)

I think this is right?

seriously ? thats the first time? i thought it happened a lot. maybe its because i ve been doing it in football manager for years :D

I don't think you have... we are discussing players walking away from existing contracts, not clubs renewing contracts. That has not happened before.

again i dont say its a positive thing but we ll have to see what happens.

question : if you are an accountant , can you buy out your contract with a firm?

Not as a rule. But accountants are rarely on fixed-term contracts anyway. Sport, as has been recognised by the courts throughout, is a special case in employment law.

Except that if you offer someone over 28 a two year deal, they can begin talking to other clubs 6 months before their contract runs out. If you offer them a 3 year deal then they have to wait until 2 whole years of the contract have elapsed before dealing with other clubs. So there's a point to 3 year contracts.

(Simply add one to the years for under 28s)

I think this is right?

The three year deal would technically offer six months more protection against 'tapping up', but as we all know that's theoretically true of contracts now and yet it's rife. Besides, in the Webster case, the situation was that he had decided to walk away long before the second year was up and simply refused all offers to renew his contract, sitting tight for a year until he could walk away. This is going to happen a lot.

I don't think you have... we are discussing players walking away from existing contracts, not clubs renewing contracts. That has not happened before.

seriously man, it was an existing law and so it was possible to do it in football manager. and in real life it happens too. i know i told you that it doesnt happen a lot here but its more common in international transfers. maybe we could check out the details on sotiris kyrgiakos transfer to rangers to make sure. he was in the second year of his 3 year contract. we loaned him on january to rangers for 6 months with a transfer clause. after the six months rangers just offered him a contract and panathinaikos went to fifa. they just had to pay his remaining contract (one year's wages) instead of the transfer fee. and this year i m pretty sure we bought Dame N'Doye from a portuguese club this way. sometimes the clubs instead of going to fifa for compensation (cause it takes time and energy) they agree to a small transfer fee. ronaldinho signed a new contract this year because he would be available for something like 20 million euros this summer. there is always the possibility that i am wrong but i dont think so this time i do , i do ;)

Not as a rule. But accountants are rarely on fixed-term contracts anyway. Sport, as has been recognised by the courts throughout, is a special case in employment law.

i dont understand why sports is entitled to different working relationships than other sectors. maybe its fifa's influence who are a bunch of money grabbing bastards aNyway. isnt there any european laws to equalize all employee rights in the union?

edit: i ve been reading and it seems the difference is that this is an official sports court desicion and it will affect all future transfers. it will speed up the procces of moving clubs. we had it coming i suppose.

I know I'm late on this one, but I just read that Spurs paid £8million on Jonathon Woodgate??

He's alright, but surely he's not £8m. I recall him being roasted multiple times by Cristiano Ronaldo last season.

Woodgate is a fantastic defender and when fit, easily one of the top 7 or 8 center backs in English football at the moment.

Given that he is injury prone £8million may be a bit high but if the gamble pays off and he stays largely fit and healthy, it will be a bargain.

As for Ronaldo roasting him, there a very, very few players in the world that he wouldn't roast when in form (I assume that you mean on-field roasting and not the off field version :P).

Woodgate had a really good game against Man Utd. But it's a lottery with him, as you never know just how many games you're going to get out of him.

Agbonlahor went off injured today, just when he looked ilke he might get his first England cap. I hope the injury isn't too serious so he can still play on Wednesday. Otherwise England will be down to just three striker - Crouch, Owen and Rooney, only one of whom has been a regular player this season. We really need some more strikers to come through. Defoe hasn't cut it at international level yet, Ashton's not playing enough and neither is Darren Bent. Owen's always injured, so is Heskey at the moment. And that leaves ... Dave Kitson, anyone? :P He's the highest scoring Englishman in the premier league at the moment, so why not?

And in other news, Newcastle actually score a goal under Kevin Keegan! Still couldn't win though. And I still can't believe they hired the psycho midget as "executive director". What the hell was that all about?

Dave Kitson may be the highest scoring Englishman in the Premiership this season - but the same could have also been said of Kevin Philips a few seasons ago, and look where his career went. Half a season does not make someone a great goalscorer. Especially when they've only scored 8. Marcus flipping Bent is only one behind.

Woodgate had a really good game against Man Utd. But it's a lottery with him, as you never know just how many games you're going to get out of him.

Agbonlahor went off injured today, just when he looked ilke he might get his first England cap. I hope the injury isn't too serious so he can still play on Wednesday. Otherwise England will be down to just three striker - Crouch, Owen and Rooney, only one of whom has been a regular player this season. We really need some more strikers to come through. Defoe hasn't cut it at international level yet, Ashton's not playing enough and neither is Darren Bent. Owen's always injured, so is Heskey at the moment. And that leaves ... Dave Kitson, anyone? :P He's the highest scoring Englishman in the premier league at the moment, so why not?

And in other news, Newcastle actually score a goal under Kevin Keegan! Still couldn't win though. And I still can't believe they hired the psycho midget as "executive director". What the hell was that all about?

Defoe has been called up as a replacement for agbonlahor.

I have actually been very impressed with Kitson this season but he needs to perform over a couple of years and not half a season before being considered for England.

The man I would like to see called up is Ashton. He's a complete striker, very much in the Shearer mould.

The man I would like to see called up is Ashton. He's a complete striker, very much in the Shearer mould.

Nah, Ashton can't run at all. Shearer in his early years wasn't a flier but could still shift.

Woodgate is a fantastic defender and when fit, easily one of the top 7 or 8 center backs in English football at the moment.

Given that he is injury prone £8million may be a bit high but if the gamble pays off and he stays largely fit and healthy, it will be a bargain.

As for Ronaldo roasting him, there a very, very few players in the world that he wouldn't roast when in form (I assume that you mean on-field roasting and not the off field version :P).

Woodgate is a huge risk considering Ledley King is equally injury prone. As for Ronaldo, one of the few players who consistently get the better of him is Ashley Cole. For Arsenal, Chelsea and England he consistently keeps Ronaldo quiet.

Which leads me to the question: Who is the most odious cheating egomaniac, Cashley or Ronaldo? Its a tough decision.

Final thoughts on Nigeria after bowing out to the host nation Ghana in the QF's of the African Cup 2-1.

It was clear that John Utaka and Obafeme Martins were overhyped footballers who are not the type of players who can effectively be called upon to be the primary focus of attack in major games.

It was also clear early that Yokubu, Odemwingie and Mikel would have to lead the Nigerian attack and the guys who we thought would play major roles were garbage. All in all, I'm glad to see that we are sorting out the wheat from the chaff now and not at the ACN in 2010. The biggest positive surprise that I have gotten from this tourny was the play of Odemwingie, his runs down the wing at times breathed life into a stagnant offense.

Nigeria's defense should not be underestimated and they seem to be the only team capable of holding Cote d'Ivoure to under 3 goals. I'm proud of the players who stepped on the field today. They have gone a long way towards removing the sick feeling in my stomach from the Mali game. They have work to do, but the importan ACN, to me, will be the one in 2010 going into the South African World Cup. All the best African nations must have thier eyes on that year to break through and Africa's talent level has never been stronger.

So I go from being pissed off after the Mali game to being much more contemplative following this loss and considering that we now know that we do have some players. Obi Mikel will have two years in which to mature into the type of leader that this team needs. And we really need to find a ball handling wizard who can create when there is nothing going on around him. I thought that Nsofor looked like it at times against Mali, but what do I know. I haven't seen him since.

Oh well, with this latest installment of West Africa's greatest derby, I am not happy, but thier play in their final two games leaves me with much optimism for 2010. :thumbsup:

By the way, the Côte d'Ivoire won 5-0 over Guinea for a grand total of 13 goals thus far in 4 games of the tournament. Only one of those came against Nigeria. Drogba scored again. Kalou scored twice. CIV may just be giving the world a sneak preview of what to expect in 2010 in South Africa. Much more optimistic about Africa's chances to take the "Big One" after seeing the form of some of the NT's than ever before. FORZA!

I can't believe someone is advocating Marcus Bent for England. That shouldn't even be a joke. It's just plain wrong.

But Kitson is ginger.

I'm someone who'd like to see Ashton get his time in the England team as well.

But Kitson is ginger.

I'm someone who'd like to see Ashton get his time in the England team as well.

I'm not a fan of Kitson but at least he has a real hair colour. Unlike Ashton...

Personally, I think Defoe will be a success provided he keeps playing regularly for Portsmouth. Its absurd the number and quality of strikers they have.

Archived