Ball, Ball, Ball, Footie, Footie, Footie

Paddy

Thread title inspiration courtesy of:

Ronaldo just wont stop scoring. Ok, the first was a penalty and the second was a deflection and a dodgy one by the keeper (ball slid under his body), but he's just ratcheting up the goals.

The game was actually much closer than the scoreline (or Tottenham's record at Old Trafford) suggests. They had loads of great chances in the first half. Rooney cleared a Berbatov header off the line, Van Der Saar made a fantastic, low, finger-tips save to deny Jenas after a fantastic run and in the second half, when chasing the game, Wes Brown did enough distract Berbatov so his shot his the post rather than go in.

The game was turned on a simple hand ball and red card by Michael Dawson. A huge kickout from Van Der Saar to Rooney, Dawson misjudged the ball first time and jumped under it. Trying to recover the bounce against Rooney, he tripped and, seeing Rooney poised to strike (and likely score), as he was falling, he nudged the ball away with his hand (points for jerking his head to try to make it seem like a header :P).

The referee got it right, but it was a split second reaction from Dawson. A hard sort of thing to control, though he probably should have done better with the initial ball.

Spurs have got to be happy with the performances of Jenas, Lennon (except for his squandered shot at the end of the 1st half, where he really should have laid the ball off to the striker on his left), Marlbranque and Keane.

Special mention must go to O'Hara. I'd never seen him before, but the young left-back held his own against the blazing Cristiano Ronaldo. Granted he always had help from his team mates, but he never flustered and made good decisions.

I didn't get to see any other matches this weekend, but noted that Keegan's got a lot to do with Newcastle. And Adebayor is having a great season.

ronaldo is a pleasure to watch. sometimes it looks like the 3 years older guy who used to play football with us when we were 8. and he does that in premier league. awesome

teresa,

Postiga came in as a sub in the 85th minute. needless to say he didnt have time to do anything. however our strikers lost so many chances in this game too thats its unthinkable that he wont start next week. we ll see.

Thread title inspiration courtesy of:

Ronaldo just wont stop scoring. Ok, the first was a penalty and the second was a deflection and a dodgy one by the keeper (ball slid under his body), but he's just ratcheting up the goals.

The game was actually much closer than the scoreline (or Tottenham's record at Old Trafford) suggests. They had loads of great chances in the first half. Rooney cleared a Berbatov header off the line, Van Der Saar made a fantastic, low, finger-tips save to deny Jenas after a fantastic run and in the second half, when chasing the game, Wes Brown did enough distract Berbatov so his shot his the post rather than go in.

The game was turned on a simple hand ball and red card by Michael Dawson. A huge kickout from Van Der Saar to Rooney, Dawson misjudged the ball first time and jumped under it. Trying to recover the bounce against Rooney, he tripped and, seeing Rooney poised to strike (and likely score), as he was falling, he nudged the ball away with his hand (points for jerking his head to try to make it seem like a header :P ).

The referee got it right, but it was a split second reaction from Dawson. A hard sort of thing to control, though he probably should have done better with the initial ball.

Spurs have got to be happy with the performances of Jenas, Lennon (except for his squandered shot at the end of the 1st half, where he really should have laid the ball off to the striker on his left), Marlbranque and Keane.

Special mention must go to O'Hara. I'd never seen him before, but the young left-back held his own against the blazing Cristiano Ronaldo. Granted he always had help from his team mates, but he never flustered and made good decisions.

We really deserved a draw but individual errors cost us dearly.

O'Hara is our find of the season and of a few seasons. He's not a left back but handled being played out of position really well.

Ronaldo just wont stop scoring.

25 in all competitions, is it? Really a phenomenal player.

Spurs have got to be happy with the performances of Jenas, Lennon (except for his squandered shot at the end of the 1st half, where he really should have laid the ball off to the striker on his left)

Both Lennon and Jenas had moments when they should have passed instead of attempting a shot, I think there were at least two more, very similar scenes. Van der Saar may not be the world's greatest goalkeeper, but non of those long distance efforts presented any kind of threat.

What about the next round in the FA cup

Man Utd - Arsenal on Old Trafford

Liverpool - Barnsley

Chelsea - Huddelsfield Town

Chelsea and liverpool are lucky again.

C.Ronaldo is the best now and he will beat George Best scoring record.

Dunno about lucky. United have a pretty strong record of drawing Premiership sides in most rounds of the FA Cup.

I'd say it was just Arsenal who were the unlucky ones to get United :P

The Best record looks likely to be beaten, but there's still about 7-8 goals to go.

I have been telling you about Cristiano Ronaldo´s potential as a goalscorer (look, we don´ t really do strikers much lately. and he had like 400+ goals for sporting´s youth teams. AND his debut was sort of premonitory in a whole lot of ways) for years. Though to be fair, he has always been pretty consistent for Portugal since he was just a puppy ( I remember euro2004 for example, 3 goals I think, greece, russia and holland), in the beginning far better than for his club (who gave him a lot less freedom to shoot) but OTOH his current stats are something new indeed. :stunned: I am worried, his form is always brilliant this time of the year, but June is when it matters ( or for the club april/may) , not sure anything human can hold on to this sort of form for so much longer. But still we will see, and he is so much fun.

Things are looking slightly more interesting in the portuguese league. National side, Portugal got a friendly Carnaval tuesday, Italy in Zurich. Last year it was almost to the day Brazil in London, and some players got colds! I mean, why?!? pfh.

As my scouse colleague said to me today: I always worry when we draw these mickey mouse teams in the cup. :) It isn't always lucky to get non-PL opposition, if you think that you don't know much about the FA Cup.

Well Dennis Wise has screwed us over. After Gus Poyet left he was saying how he was in for the long haul and wouldn't leave until he saw us back where we belong a.k.a the Premier League, but now he's left to become director of football for Newcastle. I'm not sure exactly what that involves but it doesn't look like much of a step forward in his career in my opinion except that he'll be part of a Premier League side.

There's no doubt that he's done a good job for Leeds in eliminating the 15 point penalty so quickly and getting us into a play off position and for that he deserves thanks, but I'm just worried that our season is going to fall apart...

We'll see

Wise and Keegan. :stunned: Apart from the incongruity of seeing that collection of letters in the same sentence as 'Keegan' regardless of the context :P, I really don't see this as a marriage of minds. What is it, a good cop-bad cop act?

There's no doubt that he's done a good job for Leeds...

Was Wise that successsul at Leeds? IIRC Kevin Blackwell took them into the playoffs in the season before Wise got them relegated. Though maybe they had to sell some players. Hmm...

And Nigeria make it to the next round thanks to a very strong Côte d'Ivoire. Looks like Drogba and friends are the best bet to win this tournament, not spectacular but very effective against a strong Mali side and this even though they rested several players.

Was Wise that successsul at Leeds? IIRC Kevin Blackwell took them into the playoffs in the season before Wise got them relegated. Though maybe they had to sell some players. Hmm...

Yeah well with all the administration crap at the start of this season, Wise was only able to start buying players a few days before the transfer window closed so most of his initial targets were gone so he had to scrape together what he could. Then we went on an undefeated streak of 13 games which was a decent effort. Currently we're in the play off poisitions and were it not for the 15 point penalty we would be 3 points clear at the top of the table.

Oh well we'll see how Gary McAllister goes. He was the fans' choice but I'm not entirely convinced...

Archived