Sweet 16

Gold Storm

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1289538' date='Mar 26 2008, 18.07']I mean, yeah. Sometimes, male athletes at school who aren't on the bball team play off against the women's team (no. 5 in the country), and it's not even close, it's just a massacre (some of these guys could have played D1 hoops, but are playing football or whatever instead, but still).[/quote]

It's not too much of a surprise. No matter how skilled the women are, the male athletes are going to be bigger and stronger. It's a fact of biology.

It'd be like me training and getting really good, [i]fundamentally[/i], at boxing. Then putting me up against Lennox Lewis. I'd be somewhere in the vicinity of welterweight - middleweight and the only way I'd make it a single round would be through divine intervention. Well, maybe that's an over the top comparison, but you get the idea.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1288660' date='Mar 26 2008, 07.28']You're like the girl in the hot tub Gameday commercial that has Bilas, Davis, and Digger's heads coming out of your arms too!!![/quote]
You know, I had that same thought when I saw the commercial. :D

[quote]In my impatience for Thursday, I decided to spend last night watching Syracuse blow a huge second half lead to UMass in the NIT. Absolutely amazing. I've watched "The Cuse" exactly twice this year and the other game was Pittsburgh... and they blew a huge lead there too!!! You think Boeheim has them practice that?[/quote]
I watched a part of that game too. I thought Cuse had it in the bag when I switched channels. I came back to it and saw that they had blown the lead. They always seem like one of those teams that have the capability to be decently good, but every now and then Boeheim will lose a game just like that and it re-confirms my perceived notion that they do indeed suck. (sorry to any Cuse fans I've offended)

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1289039' date='Mar 26 2008, 13.05']Thursday is far off, its taking forever to get here. I think these games coming up will be very good. If WAZU can slowdown UNC and hold the final score below 60, I think they can upset the Tarheels.

Cowherd uses blogs and messages boards a lot. He got in trouble a couple years ago when he used a bit taken from a blog without crediting the blog. He likes to rip on message boards a lot, but he is always talking about them. I think that he is a secret member of them and posts a lot on them.

People from the media do get read message boards. Robert Gates (the States Secretary of Defense) read and posted on message boards when he was the President of Texas A&M.[/quote]
Eh, that's pretty unethical on Cowherd's part if he did it intentionally. Now I know where he falls on my spectrum of credible analysts. Still, I wouldn't be surprised that he posted on forums at all. A guy like that, you know he's the type to get involved in a heated debate. Sports message boards can provide a good amount of entertainment (meltdowns, etc), but I wouldn't say its a credible place to gauge overall fan reaction. It's the die hards that usually post on those places and of course their reactions are usually the most extreme. Some of the reactions after a loss on those boards are downright embarrassing sometimes. But honestly, I attribute most of it to all the male testosterone and adrenaline. ;)

Thursday is almost here. Go HEELS!

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1289165' date='Mar 26 2008, 20.22']Yeah for Friday's games I think Mich St has good potential for an upset. Izzo is a good tournament coach (I never really thought I would think of a coach as a good 'tournament coach') and I'm excited to see what he will do.[/quote]

I never really thought of it myself either but I would have to agree with the Izzo thing.

I'm hoping for an upset...Go Spartans!

[quote name='dalThor' post='1290098' date='Mar 26 2008, 23.18']I never really thought of it myself either but I would have to agree with the Izzo thing.

I'm hoping for an upset...Go Spartans![/quote]

Izzo is a good tourney coach, he likes the live or die nature of it. He will be prepared and he will know how to exploit the weakness of Memphis. I think Michigan State can take them.

The countdown is on for tonight games I am thinking that WVU, UCLA will win, I have been going back and forth about the Tennessee and Louisville game. I think the Volunteers will win in a very close game; and what the hell I will stay with the PAC 10 and pick Washington State tonight for the upset.

Its almost game time tonight.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1290421' date='Mar 27 2008, 10.13']Izzo is a good tourney coach, he likes the live or die nature of it. He will be prepared and he will know how to exploit the weakness of Memphis. I think Michigan State can take them.

The countdown is on for tonight games I am thinking that WVU, UCLA will win, I have been going back and forth about the Tennessee and Louisville game. I think the Volunteers will win in a very close game; and what the hell I will stay with the PAC 10 and pick Washington State tonight for the upset.

Its almost game time tonight.[/quote]

I've got UCLA, Tennessee, UNC, and Xavier in my bracket. At this point though I am a little iffy on the UT and the X picks. Those games could go either way, imo.

I need someone to take UNC out for me, I'd prefer if it was Tennessee, but I guess WSU will work. I think UNC will be too much for WSU though.

SJ, Stewart Mandel [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/03/22/wvu.duke/index.html"]wrote an article[/url] about the rise of WVU basketball and football you might want to check out.

I'd say the rise in the basketball season started with that double overtime game with Pittsnogle against Chris Paul and Wake Forest. That game was nuts, best March basketball experience for me so far.

On "The Herd" today, Colin Cowherd briefly talked about the rumors that Bruce Pearl will be on the short list of candidates for the IU job. First, I'd like to say that any upper-tier school that has an opening would [i]of course[/i] put Pearl on their short list. He's a proven winner with an infectious personality... and a few other infectious things if the rumors out of Knoxville are to be believed. ;) Just because he's on the list, does not automatically mean he'd take the job. That said... you guys think he'd take the job? I'm not sure, but I can see the reasoning for it.

Cowherd made his usual asinine response about it. I like the guy most of the time... but he can make some idiotic statements. He compared Pearl to Urban Meyer being offered the Notre Dame and Florida jobs. He made the argument that Meyer was smart enough to realize that Florida [i]is[/i] the Notre Dame of today and that the Notre Dame that [i]was[/i] is no longer there. I think its a flawed comparison, the reasons the Notre Dame job isn't as attractive have nothing to do with basketball. Notre Dame has no conference and higher academic standards among other factors which make winning a national title there more difficult than at other schools. To say that Tennesee is the old Indiana of today is a blatantly ignorant statement.

At Tennessee he's probably fifth on the totem pole behind Fulmer, the offensive coordinator of the football team, the defensive coordinator of the football team, and Pat Summitt. Heck... name one other top ten team that plays their basketball on a court named after [i]the current women's coach!!!![/i] UConn sure doesn't (and isn't a current top ten team). It would also be easier to win routine conference championships in the Big Ten than in the SEC. There's a reason that Kentucky has more titles than the other eleven schools combined. In a good year, he still has to compete with Kentucky and Florida just to win the east division of the SEC and you can't count on the programs in Lexington and Gainesville to have many more down seasons like this one.

Indiana is the perfect situation for him. He got his start coaching by winning a Division II national title at the University of Southern Indiana. He has experience as an assistant coach in the Big Ten at Iowa. He's not having to be the guy to replace a legend at IU... ask Mike Davis about how fun that can be. He'd be stepping in to "save" a program from mismanagement and likely won't have to put up with any severe NCAA sanctions to do it. Lastly... this isn't a talent deprived team struggling to get by we're talking about. This is a school that was firmly in contention for the conference title and a top seed in the NCAA tourney before the Sampson problems.

Obviously, not a distraction that Pearl wants going into tonight's game against Louisville... but it will be an interesting dynamic to watch in the next few days if the Vols slip tonight.

Edit: Just came across this fantastic little blurb about [url="http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume7/2008-0326-duke.html"]Duke's latest recruit.[/url] :lol:

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1290677' date='Mar 27 2008, 13.57']SJ, Stewart Mandel [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/03/22/wvu.duke/index.html"]wrote an article[/url] about the rise of WVU basketball and football you might want to check out.

I'd say the rise in the basketball season started with that double overtime game with Pittsnogle against Chris Paul and Wake Forest. That game was nuts, best March basketball experience for me so far.[/quote]

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. More tourney wins than Duke in the last four years... that's crazy. That helps to frame Alexander's post-game comments a little bit.

Herbstreit claims that we should have been honored to play Duke. Yes, Duke is a great program, and one that I have a lot of respect for...... but this is a competitive sport! You bow down to no-one. At what point is WV allowed to stop being 'honored' for the privelage of beating a supposedly better program?

We've beaten Duke and UCLA (twice) in BBall over the past few years, we've had 3 trips to the sweet sixteen in 4 years. The year that we did not get to the sweet sixteen (2007) we [i]won [/i]the NIT. Not to mention the football team that has beaten both the SEC and Big XII champions and is 3-0 in bowl games over the past 3 years including 2 BCS victories. With these things in mind, why is it that we have to assume the humble position of the lesser program every single time? Let Alexander have a chip on his shoulder, he plays clean ball and he's earned it.

[url="http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=391683"]Here's [/url]another one that I liked. I won't pretend that WVU athletics has always been a powerhouse, but the last several years have been great. I'm soaking it up while I can and hoping it lasts.

At the start of the UNC-WSU game Bilas said that Hansbrough has shot more free throws than any player in ACC history. Is this correct? Surely he meant any other junior in ACC history, right? :stunned:

WVU needs to get it going (I'm about 30 min behind live coverage atm). I'm rooting for them even though I have Xavier in my bracket (over Duke - WTH was I thinking...)

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1290710' date='Mar 27 2008, 12.23']Indiana is the perfect situation for him. He got his start coaching by winning a Division II national title at the University of Southern Indiana. He has experience as an assistant coach in the Big Ten at Iowa. [b]He's not having to be the guy to replace a legend at IU[/b]... ask Mike Davis about how fun that can be. He'd be stepping in to "save" a program from mismanagement and likely won't have to put up with any severe NCAA sanctions to do it. Lastly... this isn't a talent deprived team struggling to get by we're talking about. This is a school that was firmly in contention for the conference title and a top seed in the NCAA tourney before the Sampson problems.[/quote]

I'd don't know about that, I'd say that Kelvin's reign at IU definitely reached [b]legendary[/b] status ;)

[quote name='CrimsonEyedJayhawk' post='1291136' date='Mar 27 2008, 19.22']At the start of the UNC-WSU game Bilas said that Hansbrough has shot more free throws than any player in ACC history. Is this correct? Surely he meant any other junior in ACC history, right? :stunned:

WVU needs to get it going (I'm about 30 min behind live coverage atm). I'm rooting for them even though I have Xavier in my bracket (over Duke - WTH was I thinking...)[/quote]

WSU's offense was really bad from what I saw. They also couldn't get a defensive rebound for shit. Either way, UNC scares the shit out of me right now.. I don't have them going to the FF in any of my brackets.

WVU just pulled out a solid play to go to OT. Things are very interesting right now.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1291195' date='Mar 27 2008, 17.25']WSU's offense was really bad from what I saw. They also couldn't get a defensive rebound for shit. Either way, UNC scares the shit out of me right now.. I don't have them going to the FF in any of my brackets.

WVU just pulled out a solid play to go to OT. Things are very interesting right now.[/quote]

Yeah, this is an exciting game. WSU got torched, though, was unhappy to see that (though at least they held Carolina to less than 70 points). Basically, WSU's offense works out maybe 35% of the time, and they would win by their D causing an offense that works out 45% of the time normally to only score maybe 25-30% of the time. But NC's offense is so good, they just went from like 60 to 45%.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1291195' date='Mar 27 2008, 18.25']WSU's offense was really bad from what I saw. They also couldn't get a defensive rebound for shit. Either way, UNC scares the shit out of me right now.. I don't have them going to the FF in any of my brackets.

WVU just pulled out a solid play to go to OT. Things are very interesting right now.[/quote]

I have Tenn going to the F4 in my bracket, and I'm not thinking they make it past Louisville the way both teams have been playing. Louisville--UNC would (probably) be a very good game.

I'm glad that WVU picked it up and turned this into a good game. Too bad that Alexander just fouled out.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/blog/ncaab_experts/post/While-Henderson-flops-Kyle-Singler-gives-out-a-?urn=ncaab,73656"]What the hell is Kzazdsxvsfzhajgdx teaching them at Duke.[/url]

This shit is ridiculous, Tennessee is getting [i]slaughtered[/i]. I know L'ville is good, they made us look pretty silly last year, but goddamn.

Finally, TN makes a field goal. After, what, nine fucking minutes?

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1291239' date='Mar 27 2008, 20.30']This shit is ridiculous, Tennessee is getting [i]slaughtered[/i]. I know L'ville is good, they made us look pretty silly last year, but goddamn.

Finally, TN makes a field goal. After, what, nine fucking minutes?[/quote]

I think I'm now more scared of Louisville than UNC - if we're lucky enough to make the F4. :stunned:

(at least against Louisville wouldn't Tyler "5 step" Hansbrough :P )

Tennessee is [i]finally[/i] making a run.

Anybody watching UCLA-WKU? How are those teams looking? I've got to watch 30secs of that one.

[quote name='CrimsonEyedJayhawk' post='1291292' date='Mar 27 2008, 22.25']What's up with Bruce Pearl's oompa loompa "tan"? Scary.[/quote]

I'm surprised he's not completely soaked in sweat yet.

Tenn has me worried. Louisville has led most of the game but this is March, the last few minutes is all it takes...

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1291307' date='Mar 27 2008, 20.40']I'm surprised he's not completely soaked in sweat yet.

Tenn has me worried. Louisville has led most of the game but this is March, the last few minutes is all it takes...[/quote]

I think the lotion he's using to get that "Volunteer Glow" has atrophied his sweat glands.

Good game so far; with Tennessee's foul trouble it looks like one of my F4 picks will be going down tonight.

Archived