Dragon Age

Werthead

[quote name='oar' post='1411800' date='Jun 23 2008, 13.15']I literally cannot wait for this game :)
The new beginnings and lack of evil/good swingbars sounds brilliant, you'll be able to properly role play without having to get your evil rating above a certain amount.. Also, with the number of times i've replayed BG2 and that has the same start no matter your character, this will be even more replayable. :)

I just hope the world is big enough for it, if its anything like morrowind with more diverse quests that'll be perfect for me :)[/quote]

The beginning is the reason I DON'T replay BG2, same as KOTOR2. It's so damn long/boring.

I'd like to say that I've gotten tired of the "WTF CRZY ALIGNMENT EFFECTZ BASED ON DECISIONS" garbage they pushed KOTOR/Fable/etc. with when all that happened was you looked uglier and got a slightly different endscene. There really wasn't a huge storyline shift that occurred based on your "WERLD ALLLTERING DECISIONS!11" It's good that we can steer away from a definitive "good/evil" meter with Dragon Age.

EDIT: "they" isn't referring to BioWare, I know they didn't make Fable, but game developers as a whole that subscribed to that trend.

Ha. The best alternate endings for a [b]Star Wars[/b] game were the ones for [i]Jedi Knight[/i], where the choices you made in the game (which wasn't even an RPG) determined if Kyle Katarn ended up a decent member of the nascent new Jedi Order, or if he actually became the new Emperor of the Galactic Empire.

[quote name='Krafus' post='1410812' date='Jun 23 2008, 08.23']It could be because Luca$Art$ sees more potential revenue in a competently-done MMORPG (which is what it would likely be, at the very least, with Bioware developing it) than in a single-player game. Remember, these are the same greedy [censored] who forced Obisidian's hand and had KotOR II go gold in time for the Christmas 2004 season even though the game needed months more of polish.

When KotOR II was first announced, I remember thinking with a worried frown "Even if Obsidian doesn't need to spend time on the engine, how can they possibly deliver a game as good as the first one in just a year?" As it turned out, Occam's razor, which says that the simplest solution is the best, applied. They couldn't, and all gamers were that much the poorer, in both gaming experience and money. :([/quote]

I agree that KoToR II had issues, for which I hold Lucas Arts and their rush to get it out responsible. But I really loved the story, what there was of it (and yes I know parts of it were unfinished). But the Obsidian team (who iirc are predominantly the former Black Isle team) write such fantastic material that I can live with what they did.

IMO it was so nice to see a game address the consequences of 'saving the universe', and the effects it has on the ordinary people. A bit like reading 'Arya's Endless tour of the Riverlands' to see the effects the war of the nobles has on the farmers and peasants really. Consequences and ramifications of epic stories are so rarely considered. Perhaps that is why 'The Scouring of the Shire' seems to be so unpopular with many readers - they have had their heroic ending, they don't care what the participants do the next day. But I think it is a fascinating - and important - part of narrative, and it is why KoToR II will always have a special place in my heart. And of course, it is the whole raison d'etre of the other magnificent Black Isle game, Planescape: torment. Which I assume everyone has played by now, but if you haven't, find a copy and do so stat! Graphics are dated now of course, but the story is so good it is still worth it.

edited to add:
I don't play MMORPGs. If they are doing one I hope it is a different game, and they still make a KoToR III

[quote name='Diva' post='1412479' date='Jun 23 2008, 22.59']I agree that KoToR II had issues, for which I hold Lucas Arts and their rush to get it out responsible. But I really loved the story, what there was of it (and yes I know parts of it were unfinished). But the Obsidian team (who iirc are predominantly the former Black Isle team) write such fantastic material that I can live with what they did.[/quote]

Well, you're a better person than I am. I still want to find whoever made the decision and use Force Choke and Force Lightning on him/her/them.

As for Dragon Age, count me in among those who'd like to see a few very well-developed characters rather than about 10 less well-done ones.

[quote name='Rimmer' post='1413682' date='Jun 24 2008, 18.52']Is that group of fans still working on fixing the ending of KOTOR 2?[/quote]

Yes. By the looks of things, and random drop-ins on forums, they should be done within a few months.

Yeah they are have actually finished the content etc and are now hunting down and fixing bugs sadly the bug counter seems to be going up as they find more when playtesting, but it will possibly be finished and out by August.

Features of Dragon Age that look good from the wiki page:

[quote]The character development is class-based; on higher levels, one can choose more specialized classes[/quote]

[quote]While there is no tracking of alignment as in previous BioWare games, the moral choices of the main character throughout the game will still affect the story. While you may save the world whether you are good or evil, the decisions you make in the process will change the world around you, deciding who will become King for example, and affecting nations and races and their places in the world.[/quote]

[quote name='Krafus' post='1412895' date='Jun 24 2008, 23.00']Well, you're a better person than I am. I still want to find whoever made the decision and use Force Choke and Force Lightning on him/her/them.[/quote]

doesn't that go without saying? :D

I played it on xbox, which was reportedly a lot less buggy than on pc. The only real issue I had was the unfinished storylines. Having said that, I thought what was there was fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Diva' post='1412479' date='Jun 23 2008, 21.59']Planescape: torment. Which I assume everyone has played by now, but if you haven't, find a copy and do so stat! Graphics are dated now of course, but the story is so good it is still worth it.[/quote]
Still worth it? This game will still be played in 100 years. At least.

Best RPG ever done. Its a shame I´ve finished it 3 times already.

Do you guys know that movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? I would erase my mind about this game every time I finished it.

EA screws up everything they touch.

But at the end of the day, i will be the only voice here that says they can do whatever the hell they please. All this talk of "they are doing this to fuck the fans" is ridiculous. Its as bad as the IMDB boards, whenever a remake is made, with loud proclamations about the end of the world and the implosion of the sun.

I have to be honest, if i was Lucas Arts, and i saw the sheer amount of fucking coin Blizzard is drawing in with WOW, i would try and get on board as well.

The one thing with fans is, you can't please all of them. In fact, you can probably only please a quarter of them, interest the other half, and burn the assholes of the remainder.

[quote name='burnt hound' post='1409273' date='Jun 21 2008, 02.38']Sounds great. And thanks to the Maker, I will be able to play it because of my new PC. Sweet!

They day Bioware announces KOTORIII, I will weep with joy :D :[/quote]

They have announced KOTOR 3. It's separate from the MMO they're working on.

[url="http://kotaku.com/355808/bioware-at-work-on-a-new-kotor"]http://kotaku.com/355808/bioware-at-work-on-a-new-kotor[/url]

[i]Dragon Age[/i] will now, henceforth, [url="http://dragonage.bioware.com/"]be known [/url]as [i]Dragon Age: Origins[/i].

OMGWTF! :unsure:

More interesting is the news that a trailer will be released on Friday or Saturday.

[quote][i]Dragon Age[/i] will now, henceforth, [url="http://dragonage.bioware.com/"]be known [/url]as [i]Dragon Age: Origins[/i].[/quote]

Something about that title reads [i]not a complete story[/i] to me... I hope I'm wrong about that. The cynic in me also thinks this may be signs of sequel-happy EA getting a little too involved.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1434713' date='Jul 10 2008, 06.52'][i]Dragon Age[/i] will now, henceforth, [url="http://dragonage.bioware.com/"]be known [/url]as [i]Dragon Age: Origins[/i].[/quote]

Worst. Countdown. Ever.

Seriously Bioware, are you stupid? Were you not paying attention to Blizzard like 2 weeks ago?

Diablo 3: How you fucking announce a game.

That's not really the point.

The speculation is that EA will cut the content in game uno to be able to cash in on the second game.

So get ready for Dragon Age: Urbz, Dragon Age: Pets, Dragon Age: Livin' Large, Dragon Age: Vacation, Dragon Age: Makin' Magic, etc.

Yeah, Bioware PR has some serious egg on its face after this debacle. It's not really that angering to have to wait another while for the trailer, but it was a misstep and it's a little frustrating how the Bioware employees in the forum are being defensive and fail to see how they just might have screwed up here despite the anger of 95% of the longtime forum-goers, who they've actually had some interesting discussions regarding the nature of CRPGs over the last 4 years. Of course, that remaining 5% of fanboys gargling on Bioware's wang isn't helping.

The whole problem is that stupid "More July 9th" teaser. If they never had that, and just unveiled the website without teasing it, then all the anticipation would have been properly placed and no one would be mad.

And yeah, I agree about the connotations of "Origins," but for now I'm going to assume that's just another marketing misstep trying to build hype for a sequel rather than them intentionally splitting the game in half.

Archived