mad men

dornish prince

"For Those Who Think Young" is Mad Men's [url="http://www.lippsisters.com/2008/07/28/double-the-pleasure-double-the-fun/"]highest rated episode yet[/url], more than double the average rating for season one. Given the buzz, the Emmy nominations, the $25 million promotional budget from AMC, and just that so many people didn't get into the show until after the first season was over, that's not wholly surprising, but gratifying. It's still less than half of the Burn Notice audience, so still fairly modest even by the relaxed standards of cable dramas that air during the summer; but given that Mad Men also attracted more than double the number of sponsors from last season, I'm guessing that consistent numbers along these lines will be sufficient to get a third season.

Speaking of sponsors and advertisers, I was intrigued by BMW's approach to advertising the show. I've seen Ford give us season premieres of 24 with no commercial interruption, but to see BMW do it was interesting to me. I'm certainly no advertising guru like Blaine, but I do have a rudimentary understanding of demographics and other factors and I would assume that BMW must see a higher earning demographic that watches a show like this. I also thought that by throwing in the man that came up with the slogan as part of the ad was a way of advertising their car directly at some of the advertising people that I would assume flock to this show. Interesting stuff.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1460074' date='Jul 28 2008, 22.26']That 160/100 BP may have something to do with his impotency :stunned: Although, storywise they seemed to be implying that he was bored or stuck-in-a-rut with only has his wife to sleep with imo.[/quote]

that's the vibe that i was getting as well. i think that whomever receives that book is gonna end up meeting with DD and ending his coital woes; all speculation on my part though. i really feel that it's one of those kick off the season arcs that'll end in the first few episodes.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1460560' date='Jul 29 2008, 09.17']Speaking of sponsors and advertisers, I was intrigued by BMW's approach to advertising the show. I've seen Ford give us season premieres of 24 with no commercial interruption, but to see BMW do it was interesting to me. I'm certainly no advertising guru like Blaine, but I do have a rudimentary understanding of demographics and other factors and I would assume that BMW must see a higher earning demographic that watches a show like this. I also thought that by throwing in the man that came up with the slogan as part of the ad was a way of advertising their car directly at some of the advertising people that I would assume flock to this show. Interesting stuff.[/quote]
I'm no guru, I'm just a Peggy (actually more of a Paul) in the world of advertising. Except I don't even work on Madison Ave. But I do try to know my ad history, just because it's fascinating.

BMW is a smart sponsor, according to their demographic. As would Volvo or Cadillac or any other higher end automaker.

Mad Men has tried to approach advertising in a unique way from day one. In Season 1, they attempted to throw in "ad history trivia" to make the ads more integrated to the theme of the show. They also, I believe, had Jack Daniels as a sponsor and used them as product placement in the show, but I don't think that went too well.

Weiner actually made a few waves in an Advertising Age interview a while back when he told them that he really doesn't like commercials - especially commercial breaks. He'd like to take the show in the direction that this year's premiere did. Feature one advertiser per episode, as a "sponsored by." Surprisingly a lot of people in the industry feel the same way. With TiVo and DVR's out there, regular commercial breaks annoy people more than they sell, if they're seen at all.

If every episode was presented like last week's, I think it would work. The trick is getting greedy clients and networks to go for it.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1461629' date='Jul 30 2008, 00.03']Did Jackie O scare the shit out of anyone else?

Like she was a zombie or a stepford wife or on some kind of drug, very strange.[/quote]

It felt like a very affected performance. If you didn't know otherwise, I think it would have been hard to peg her as one of the most revered First Ladies in this country's history.

A stronger episode than the premiere, I think. There's a lot of emotions packed into a tight little space; much more than FTWTY, I want to see this again because I feel like I might have missed a lot of nuance. Spoilers for "Flight 1" starting now:

My second successful Mad Men prediction, after Sal getting married, was Paul dating a black woman. He struck me as exactly the type to advertise his open-mindedness by picking a girlfriend entirely based on her race; Joan's reaction was spot on, as you could tell that she had never before dealt with a black woman on a non-customer/clerk basis, and her quick deflation of Paul's pretensions later was stinging.

There's a moment where Pete is shown with the camera focusing on the back of his head, the archetypal Mad Men shot that Alan Taylor originally used to enter into the character of Don Draper (hence the end of the opening sequence, the beginning of the pilot, several shots in Nixon v. Kennedy, etc.). It made me think of Don talking about being a pall-bearer in "The Long Weekend", and how he felt as if he just went up a notch. I get that sense with Pete in this episode, for a lot of reasons. (Lisa Albert, who co-wrote this episode with Matt Weiner, also wrote last year's "Babylon", the other Pete-heavy episode.)

Carlton's fat make-up looked a little fake to me, but I like that he's put a lot of weight on (and his complaint: I've stopping actively seeking an affair, can't I openly ogle fourteen-year-old girls at least?). The best part of the scene was Sally Draper, child bartender; it's a skill that will serve her well in the Draper household.

I'm not sure what to say about the American Airlines storyline yet; it's clearly a running thing, so we'll have to see where it leads.

ETA:

Finally, [url="http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc275/thehousenextdoor/2008/Mad%20Men/Episode%202%20Season%202/IMG_6173.jpg"]check out that jacket[/url] on Pete Campbell. I feel like his next job will be seventies game-show host.

I enjoyed last night's episode. I especially liked the scene where Pete comes out of his office and asks his secretary to call his wife... then he cancels that. Then he looks at Peggy and makes eye contact... then turns away. Finally he turns to Don and gets brushed off... I thought that whole sequence said a lot about how Pete's been developing.

Don having to be the brush off man for Mohawk was a good scene as well.

Betty makes me uncomfortable now with almost every scene that she's in... I suppose that's a good thing and it means she is a good actress.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1467480' date='Aug 4 2008, 07.33']I especially liked the scene where Pete comes out of his office and asks his secretary to call his wife... then he cancels that. Then he looks at Peggy and makes eye contact... then turns away. Finally he turns to Don and gets brushed off... I thought that whole sequence said a lot about how Pete's been developing.[/quote]

Me too. It effectively conveyed exactly how alone Pete is. He's trying to decide who to talk to about a serious personal issue, and what options does he have? The woman that he slept with and then spurned? His wife, seemingly unable to say anything other than a cliche? The man he tried to blackmail just seventeen months ago?

[quote name='Spiro T. Agnew' post='1467242' date='Aug 3 2008, 22.17']My second successful Mad Men prediction, after Sal getting married, was Paul dating a black woman. He struck me as exactly the type to advertise his open-mindedness by picking a girlfriend entirely based on her race; Joan's reaction was spot on, as you could tell that she had never before dealt with a black woman on a non-customer/clerk basis, and her quick deflation of Paul's pretensions later was stinging.[/quote]

Seeing Joan lay in to Paul was probably my favorite part of the episode. The beard, the pipe, the neckerchief... somebody needed to tell him he's a giant poser.

This was a good episode for Pete, all around. His reaction to losing his father, his interactions with Draper and Duck - each one them showed where he was in the grieving process. Excellent work from Kartheiser. My wife and I disagreed about the ending. She thought Pete had sold what was left of his soul by trying to land American. I thought he was doing the only positive thing he could and trying to move forward. It struck me as something the young Don might've done. Because, when you think it about it, it's hardly different than abandoning your family and stealing someone else's identity to get what you want out of life.

[quote]Carlton's fat make-up looked a little fake to me, but I like that he's put a lot of weight on (and his complaint: I've stopping actively seeking an affair, can't I openly ogle fourteen-year-old girls at least?). The best part of the scene was Sally Draper, child bartender; it's a skill that will serve her well in the Draper household.[/quote]
Heh. That kid's awesome. But not as awesome as Carlton talking about fresh pie on the windowsill.

Still, as much as this was the Pete episode, we saw a lot more of Peggy too. I was impressed with her handling her suitor in the hallway. Very liberated and decisive. I was also surprised to see the Mom & Aunt situation. The end of the last season had me convinced she'd given the child up for adoption. A line or two in this episode intimated that perhaps her mother intervened legally ("the state of New York said you couldn't make you own mind" or some such).

That scene with her having to hold the child she didn't want in the church was classic. Talk about penance.

[quote name='Blaine23' post='1467650' date='Aug 4 2008, 11.01']This was a good episode for Pete, all around. His reaction to losing his father, his interactions with Draper and Duck - each one them showed where he was in the grieving process. Excellent work from Kartheiser. My wife and I disagreed about the ending. She thought Pete had sold what was left of his soul by trying to land American. I thought he was doing the only positive thing he could and trying to move forward. It struck me as something the young Don might've done. Because, when you think it about it, it's hardly different than abandoning your family and stealing someone else's identity to get what you want out of life.[/quote]

I agree with you about Kartheiser. I've always had reservations about his choices, because I didn't like what he did with Connor on [i]Angel[/i], but I'm coming around on that. As for the question of Pete's intent, I'm with your wife. I've always assumed that one of the things Weiner wants to do is show guys with a conscience like Don fading out and people like Pete taking over. Sort of like the transition from a dude like Avon to Marlo on [i]The Wire[/i].

So i havent seen the latest episode yet but did anyone else here think that all the drama and what have you in the season 1 finale drag the show to the ground? I was REALLY into it untul the sudden shift in tone.

I dunno if I feel the same Relic. For me, Season 1 got off to a great start with the pilot... then it slows to a near crawl for several episodes... then picks back up with eps like Shoot, Hobo Code, Red in the Face.

If anything, I like the second half of the season more than the first, maybe for the plot momentum picking up. Weiner seems to be taking his cues from his time on the Sopranos and those seasons were often structured simlarly. Last season even had the main built up climax (Don Vs. Pete on his identity) happening in the next to last episode, which was a David Chase standard.

Of course, if you're talking about Peggy's pregnancy... you wouldn't be the only person to find it a drag. I didn't mind it, but several people have told me they thought it was too unrealistic or too soap opera and I get that.

[quote name='Blaine23' post='1468061' date='Aug 4 2008, 16.24']Of course, if you're talking about Peggy's pregnancy... you wouldn't be the only person to find it a drag. I didn't mind it, but several people have told me they thought it was too unrealistic or too soap opera and I get that.[/quote]

i was more talking about the drama regarding Draper's past. Teh first half of that election episode was awesome (office party with the election as the background) but then i started rollin my eyes alot. I liked how Peggy got chubbybut then she comes back and predictably is all skinny again. Did i miss something there or did they just want their lead females skinnier? Drapers wife lost a bunch of weight too, she's all bones now.

[quote name='Relic' post='1468090' date='Aug 4 2008, 16.43']I liked how Peggy got chubbybut then she comes back and predictably is all skinny again.[/quote]

Umm... did you watch the last five minutes of last season's finale at all? The reason for her to be chubby was pretty clearly explained. (And in retrospect... her chubbiness was obviously a fat suit as the season went on.)

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1468117' date='Aug 4 2008, 17.00']Umm... did you watch the last five minutes of last season's finale at all? The reason for her to be chubby was pretty clearly explained. (And in retrospect... her chubbiness was obviously a fat suit as the season went on.)[/quote]

The weight loss, i mean. Is she not having the kid? I think i might have missed something.

So what happened to Betty revealing to the shrink that she knows about her husband's infidelity? There has been zero indication that Don is aware she knows (other than when he tells her he isn't going to fight, ostensibly about something else).

I understand the idea that they act as if nothing has happened, but there should be some private moment that let's the viewer know that Don is at least aware.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1468448' date='Aug 4 2008, 22.49']So what happened to Betty revealing to the shrink that she knows about her husband's infidelity? There has been zero indication that Don is aware she knows (other than when he tells her he isn't going to fight, ostensibly about something else).[/quote]

Zero indication? Everything with Carlton and Francine, and then in the fight afterwards, made it clear to me that he knows and that he's been in the same boat as Carlton, trying to make up for years of infidelity.

I agree. Betty's line "I don't need you to tell me about what little boys do" was clearly directed at Don. With Don acknowledging it. Betty is clearly pissed with Don and Don seems to be paying some sort of penance to try and hold the family together.

But it's been over a year since Betty told the shrink she wanted Don to be faithful. My guess is that [i]something[/i] happened in the meantime. Possibly a big blow up, a confession, Don or Betty threatening divorce... either way, it's clear that Betty isn't really forgiving him.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1461629' date='Jul 30 2008, 00.03']Did Jackie O scare the shit out of anyone else?

Like she was a zombie or a stepford wife or on some kind of drug, very strange.[/quote]

Jackie O always scared the shit out of me - even when she was older. She definitely had specific mannerisms and was always very aware of appearances. Actually, she spoke a lot like Marilyn Monroe did. Marilyn at least had an excuse - she overcame a stuttering problem by speaking in that breathy way.

Even now, I'm not sure what was up with Jackie.

Archived