True Blood II

Lupigis

The old thread has been closed for a while but since the new season is coming up I think it's time for a new thread.

The premiere date for the first episode of season 2 is said to be June 14 and over at HBO's website there is a trailer and a sneak peek.

The sneak peek uses all the tricks from Horror Movie 101 without actually revealing anything but the trailer looks pretty good.

I hope Sam gets lots of airtime and that we get to know some more of his backstory. The trailer hints that he will show some spine and up a bit of a fight against the mystery woman from the last episodes of season 1.

Unfortunately, it looks like Jason will feature prominently in season 2 as well. We can only hope that they choose to develop his character into something that is less cheesy comic relief...

During the first season it took me a while to adjust to the mood of the series and I'm still not happy with all aspects of it, but overall I am really looking forward to the second season.

What say the rest of you?

I think the show was finally hitting its stride towards the end and I'm looking forward to it hopefully picking up where it left off quality wise. I also hope for more screen time for Sam since he is by far the most interesting character on the show.

But I figure this can't be any worse than 24 and Heroes right now, so I will definitely be tuning in.

• 3 weeks later...
I got my blue ray of season 1 last week and after a very quick rewatch I'm extremely pumped for season 2.

Especially after seeing

. :D

That preview is so much better than any of the ones on HBOs website! Why doesn't HBO put all their trailers in one place?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing the new season, too. I've read the whole book series now, and I'll be interested in seeing how they pull things together (or in some cases apart).

I like the way the stories have gone in the books. However, Alan Ball has said before that as the books are written in the first-person (from Sookie's point of view), they are taking other characters and creating new things for them to do. That should still leave some uncertainty as to which way HBO will go with things.

Since we have a few posters that have read the books, how good are they? Do they have a romance novel feel to them (I'd rather avoid that)? Are they a little more subtle than the tv show?

Since we have a few posters that have read the books, how good are they? Do they have a romance novel feel to them (I'd rather avoid that)? Are they a little more subtle than the tv show?

But PLEASE remember to black out any spoilers from the books! If there are many boarders who have read the books and want to discuss how the series compares it might be better if you start a separate thread for that purpose.

I prefer book-Sookie to TB-Sookie; she's much more interesting, but I think that might be because it's the whole first person thing. I hate vampire romance with a passion, but Charlaine Harris actually pulls it off with not so much of the soapy froth - they're fairly compelling and she writes well. I read them a few months ago and lent the books to a friend so they're not to hand - but the events in the books are slightly different to the events of the tv show, so I can't really say if they're more subtle or not. Don't think so though. :D

I've enjoyed the books. They are not literary masterpieces, but they've kept me entertained. I agree with Raphaelite in that I like the book-Sookie better - her sense of humor, comments, opinions, and character are all endearing. RedEyedGhost, I would call them mysteries before I would call them romance novels. I have also told people if they liked the Twilight series, they would like these, but with the caveat that Charlaine Harris takes it up a notch to an adult level. Don't let that turn off you Twilight haters...there is no pining after a love interest the second they leave the scene and no "you are my soul mate forever and always and beyond and I'd rather die or be turned than be without you" crap. The Sookie character is much more practical and sensible and real.

As far as being more subtle, in my opinion Alan Ball has really exercised his creative liberties in the television series... keep in mind that the books only show things from Sookie's point of view, so there are a lot of scenes on HBO which were thrown in to develop other characters in the absence of Sookie's narrative. While HBO has followed the storyline in general, the books are definitely not written with the shock value the HBO series thrives on.

I will also say for the most part, HBO also did an excellent job at casting (it also gives me faith that the ASOIAF pilot will do the same!). A lot of the characters seem spot-on to me, like Sam, Jason, Eric (!), Pam. They were off a little on Sookie, who is described as curvy and very busty in the books, and definitely off with Tara, who is caucasian. The books go on to introduce some other integral characters, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what HBO does for them.

Also, I think I mentioned in the old thread...Season one left off the same place as book one of the series. There are now nine books out, and the series is not done, so True Blood has plenty of room to grow if it keeps the ratings.

If this got greenlit for a second season , all GRRM has gotta do to make GoT a tv hit is include at least ONE kinky sex scene per episode.

Seriously, the mind boggles that this got approved.

Thanks for the input! The reason I asked was because amazon has a pretty nice deal on books 1-7, only 31.88 for all of them.

I'm glad to hear that they're adult, but not romancy.

But PLEASE remember to black out any spoilers from the books! If there are many boarders who have read the books and want to discuss how the series compares it might be better if you start a separate thread for that purpose.

And yes, please no spoilers for the books.

If this got greenlit for a second season , all GRRM has gotta do to make GoT a tv hit is include at least ONE kinky sex scene per episode.

It's worked for The Tudors on Showtime.

Because it's a lot of fun :P

Not everything on tv has in depth and thought provoking to be good.

Like it or hate it, there's nothing mind boggling about True Blood getting approved for a second season. It got approved because it got good enough ratings. The same will apply for the ASOIAF series.

True Blood's a fun show, so neither strange that it had strong ratings (it actually climbed in the ratings pretty much through its entire run) nor that it was given a second season. And I expect it'll be getting a third if the ratings continued to trend as they do. Charlaine Harris has become a bestselling author several times over because of the series -- almost all of her back catalog was in the NYT bestseller list for awhile there, and her latest book hit #1 on the list, something which I don't think she'd done before prior to the series. This suggests interest is pretty strong.

Because it's a lot of fun :P

Not everything on tv has in depth and thought provoking to be good.

Yeah, sorry for sounding grumpy, I tend to watch most of my tv series in huge chunks,like 5 or 6 episodes in a row and I cant do that at all with True Blood. it just doesnt keep me hooked like others do. Different strokes for I suppose.

For me, True Blood is something good to watch while doing something else I suppose.

Will we ever get to see vampires that can change into animals? It was mentioned by Bill, but the book readers should know if we get to see them in the books.

Also, what about werewolves? And how strong ar they comapred to vamps?

Archived