Football thread 15

kuroishi

The one thing Scotland doesn't lack for is decent managers. Right now there are a few available: any of them would be worth a shot.

Would any of them be any better? Well, Alex McLeish and Walter Smith got better results from the same players, so potentially yeah. The funny thing about football is that sometimes, a manager (or a player) just doesn't 'click' in one job. I think Burley's still a good manager, but he hasn't ever really looked it with Scotland. It gives me no pleasure to say so, but right now the priority is to get rid, not to worry about who's going to replace him. We have plenty of time before the Euro qualifiers begin to find a new manager.

I'd be more than happy to have Walter Smith as manager, but he walked out once for Rangers, so I doubt that the blazers at the SFA would welcome him back or be able to pay his wages.

I wouldn't mind Gordon Strachan either, but he's just started in a better-paid job.

I'm definitely not prepared to let Craig Levein go yet as he still has to win the Champions League with Dundee United. :P I don't think he's quite ready for international management anyway.

Of Scottish managers who aren't presently working, Jimmy Calderwood is the obvious one who springs to mind but he has a poor track record in big games against crap teams.

Good God, no. Not Calderwood. I said decent managers. :P

Smith could walk back into the job whenever he wanted (and actually wages wouldn't be a problem - Walter is not on big money at Rangers even now, he made his pile the first time around at Ibrox). But he will not leave Rangers for at least another six months, and maybe longer.

Sadly Jim Jeffries' time has probably come and gone, but he would have made a terrific Scotland manager.

Ireland, unsurprisingly, didn't really have the quality to trouble France. We were never likely to be completely outplayed (at least, not for more than a few minutes at a time), but we were always less likely to score. A pity we didn't snag that early chance.

I'm sure there will be a passionate, high-tempo second leg. I would not be staking large amounts on our success though.

Yes, his contract ends in January. But it would take some really major development for Walter Smith to walk out on Rangers in mid-season. Nobody I know of thinks he will leave before the summer, even if he has to work without a contract for a few months or agree a six month extension.

Yeah, that's totally the same thing as lashing out at people and swearing at the referee non-stop.

I didn't say it was? I was just showing that he still isn't as mature as I would expect the captain of England to be. I was hoping that the captains armband would mature Rooney overnight, as such responsibility has done for people in the past, and on the whole I think it probably did. But this was only one game, and we'll see how things go in the future.

And New Zealand have qualified for the World Cup.

Every Cup needs its cannon fodder.

Six weeks is a lot better than I'd feared for the van Persie injury. At one point it was going around that a break would have ended his season, and ligament damage was a minimum 3 month injury. To hear he'll be back in six weeks for ligament damage is encouraging that it's not as bad as it could have been, but I hope they'll take precaution rather than rush him back. Arsenal tend to be quite good about not trying to rush players back into action, though.

We'll still miss him for some big games in the mean time. Chelsea at the Emirates and Liverpool at Anfield, and mathematically we're not out of our CL group yet. I wonder how Wenger will play things in the mean time... Push Arshavin up on his own and stick Nasri on the left on the triangle? Maybe. I'd rather see Eduardo in the out and out role with Arshavin and Rosicky providing strong support.

I don't think Eduardo or Arshavin are great lone strikers. Eduardo is a taker of chances and Arshavin is a creater or them, who will be ineffective if isolated. The two of them together might work ok, or stick Vela up there but loosing Van Persie creates a problem.

And Match of the Day will be more intersting as of next season

I think Eduardo will do a good job as the focal point of the team, with Arshavin and Rosicky/Nasri on the wings. When Bendtner comes back, he could possibly take over from Eduardo, though his passing would have to improve a lot.

I don't think Eduardo or Arshavin are great lone strikers. Eduardo is a taker of chances and Arshavin is a creater or them, who will be ineffective if isolated. The two of them together might work ok, or stick Vela up there but loosing Van Persie creates a problem.

So if they go with Arshavin-Eduardo-Rosicky, Arshavin can create them and Eduardo can take them. :)

Arsenal tend to be quite good about not trying to rush players back into action, though.

Um... what?

Arsenal are notorious for doing exactly that, and have done it with RVP himself.

But an even bigger test awaits Arsenal's medical staff, who must seek to make good on the club's six-week prediction without rushing his return in the self-destructive manner of two years ago.

As case studies go, it was not a flattering episode. Having suffered a recurrence on his first comeback in the middle of December, Van Persie's next return occurred against Tottenham in Carling Cup nine days into the new year. It lasted just 45 minutes and resulted in the striker missing another two months.

There are numerous other examples in recent years of Arsenal players returning after injury only to suffer a recurrence very shortly thereafter, suggesting that they were brought back too early.

I think Eduardo will do a good job as the focal point of the team, with Arshavin and Rosicky/Nasri on the wings. When Bendtner comes back, he could possibly take over from Eduardo, though his passing would have to improve a lot.

He'll need to improve his finishing as well.

He'll need to improve his finishing as well.

Tick. What? Liechtenstein count.

And his career international total is 18 in 28. Better than Peter Crouch!

But in seriousness, Eduardo's finishing is his deadly asset. He scored 83 in 111 for Dinamo Zagreb. I put his poor Arsenal stats down to not having a regular run in the team since he arrived. Let's see what he can do now.

Archived