Football thread 15

kuroishi

Laszlo has quite an interesting personality. I found it amusing when he claimed he was 'surprised' he wasn't even mentioned in the running for the Celtic job. But he does seem like a good enough guy, with some nice experience, so why not?

Shame he wasn't given money to invest in the Hearts team this year. Would've been fun.

My favourite quote from him was in the radio interview after the rearranged game against Kilmarnock. Hearts won the match but David Obua had missed a great chance and Csaba hit the dug-out shelter thing in frustration so after the game he had an ice pack on his finger. He told the interviewer "Yes, I usually have to put ice on my head after a game like that, no?". :)

Laszlo has quite an interesting personality.

If you mean 'he's bonkers, but in an entertaining way', then I agree. ;)

But he does seem like a good enough guy, with some nice experience, so why not?

You have seen the Hearts results since he took over? OK, he did reasonably well at first but if I'm slating Calderwood for underachievement, Laszlo is no better. We're floundering this year, we've done very badly in Europe, and his 'experience' is totally inadequate. He's not really qualified for the Hearts job, let alone Scotland. (Which is why he was picked for the Hearts job, after all. Doesn't do to have a successful manager, they wind up thinking they're in charge. Mad Vlad doesn't like that.)

If you mean 'he's bonkers, but in an entertaining way', then I agree. ;)

Hehe, I did mean that, yes.

I know Hearts aren't doing so well, at the minute, but I figure that's more down to the playing squad. And when I heard Laszlo complain about the lack of funds, as the explanation to when the team had moved backwards, rather than forwards, I felt he was right.

*shrugs* Yes, the money is tight. But it's not significantly tighter than at Hibs (currently third), nor as tight as the budget at Motherwell (8 points ahead of us), and it's miles better than that at Killie, Hamilton or St Johnstone (1 point behind us).

Frankly I wish the budget was tighter. The idea that we owe Mad Vlad's bank thirty million quid does not comfort me.

So...

Ranking to be used for the Uefa Euro 2012 qualifying draw:

POT ONE:

Spain

Germany

Netherlands

Italy

England

Croatia

Portugal

France

Russia

POT TWO:

Greece

Czech Republic

Sweden

Switzerland

Serbia

Turkey

Denmark

Slovakia

Romania

POT THREE:

Israel

Bulgaria

Finland

Norway

Republic of Ireland

Scotland

Northern Ireland

Austria

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Erm, how do we find ourselves in pot three? Surely we should be ahead of at least a couple of the nations in pot two?

But he does seem like a good enough guy, with some nice experience, so why not?

Do you really think that being Lothar Matthäus’ assistant and managing Uganda taught him valuable lessons that would help him improve Scotland’s national team?

Is it based on that?

In that case, I'd say Russia are lucky to be in Pot One. Their last three major tournament qualifications have been: 2nd, 2nd and 3rd. In Pot Two you have Czech Rep (3rd, 2nd, 1st) whose recent qualifying should place them ahead of Russia.

Ser Ren,

All the Pot 2 teams (ex. Turkey and Sweden) have finished top of their group at least once in the last three campaigns. Ireland haven't.

The seeding is based on:

2006 World Cup (qualifiers and final tournament) - 20% of total weighting

EURO 2008 (qualifiers and final tournament) - 40% of total weighting

2010 World Cup (qualifiers) - 40% of total weighting

So reaching the final of Euro 2008 explains why they are in pot 1.

According to this site, Ireland scored even worse than Norway.

Oh, come on. Israel, Finland, Norway, Bulgaria, Romania, Slovakia...

We need to play in another tournament while the WC is on to get ourselves a few more points on the table.

Seriously though, the only one I can think of would be this 'Celtic' cup thing that has been touted, involving the home nations. Wasn't that supposed to happen? When? I googled for information, but all I could find was this old news story.

Oh, come on. Israel, Finland, Norway, Bulgaria, Romania, Slovakia...

We need to play in another tournament while the WC is on to get ourselves a few more points on the table.

Seriously though, the only one I can think of would be this 'Celtic' cup thing that has been touted, involving the home nations. Wasn't that supposed to happen? When? I googled for information, but all I could find was this old news story.

Gordon Brown backed it, thereby consigning it immediately to oblivion.

Aye, I would not mind Portugal at all. And Croatia, as well. They've had their moment (happens once a decade?), and I wouldn't expect them to reach such heights any time soon. Out of pot two, I'd want to be avoiding Serbia, as well, but the rest we could take. I know we played the Czechs recently and beat them. They're on the downward spiral, along with the Swedes and the Danes haven't had a good team since '98. Turkey would be tricky, and Slovakia possibly so, but screw it. We didn't qualify for the WC, so we'd damn well better qualify for this. It'd be a great achievement, as well, considering how the European championship is a tougher competition to win, than the World Cup.

Archived