ASOIAF Weight Loss Challenge

Seventh Pup

Tyria that is awesome that you've been walking. Everyone has a cheese puffs and chocolate milk kind of day. In fact I just had a 270 calorie cup of coconut yogurt. It was also divine, but not the best choice I could have made.

I just got back from the mechanics where I got screwed. I got screwed big time, I knew I was being screwed but couldn't do anything to stop it. So angry right now all I want to do is eat pizza; because nothing says revenge like putting yourself on the road to diabetes. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH. Having committed myself to not eating out a lone has totally been the only thing that is keeping from the pizza place that is down the block from me. Must stay strong.

In other news as you kind people have no doubt noticed I've been posting updates with awards. After the great and wonderful post that my computer ate I decided to get even more ambitious. I know that having a narrative, and getting rewards are both helpful to keeping people on track. It's taking a bit long then I thought it would, and I am choosing the order who I do at random. At then end of the challenge those who make it through will all have long sorted tales. I am really proud of all the Challengers.

ETA.

Raidne that is truly impressive, you have all weekend to think of the next tweak. You guys just keep kicking ass and taking names, truly motivating.

Proud of you as well Seventh. Sorry about having to take getting screwed by the mechanic. Stay strong though, the pizza will make you feel guilty. I have found that working out, I mean getting really sweaty, makes me feel better when I am angry. Better than a glass of wine or a beer.

And I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT A BEER. An ice cold draft beer.........

Raidne gets the Joseph Rock Award. (I’m on historical figures kick so sue me, only please don’t really Raidne I live in fear of your lawyerly powers.) Joseph Rock was the real life Indiana Jones, he did not let the fact that he was born in Vienna stop him from exploring the ends of the earth in pursuit of his passion. Much as Raidne is embarking on the adventure of this challenge. In fact she has started her challenge in much the same way Joseph Rock lived his life, by rafting, and zip lining herself across great expanses of wilderness. The first not life threatening step she’s taken in this adventure is to change her morning bagel to a morning yogurt. I'm sure it will be the most exciting yogurt ever.

Brady gets the Colonel James Award. Who the hell was Colonel James I here you asking. What does he have to do with the fact that Brady first week tweak was to give up sex, go running six days a week, and do either 30 minutes of push ups and sit ups six days a week or go cycling 30 minutes six days a week? What does Colonel James have to do with the fact the Brady next tweak was to cut back on his spreadable calories like peanut butter? Colonel James is actually Colonel James BOWIE. Who has a awesome real knife and a rock icon named after him. Brady is totally on the path to becoming the next Colonel James with his dedication to the challenge.

If I get a sweet ass knife out of this, I'll be pretty happy. Timely too, since I'm visiting home today, and my brother will be there. Waiting. And stabbing.

Great writeups SP!

I have not had a single beer all week long. Having a hard time brainstorming my next tweak, though...I think I'm going to have to put some kind of calorie count limitation on dinner...

I'm having trouble thinking of one as well. I'm leaning towards cutting down on cigarettes. But I'm so very, very scared of doing that.

Datepalm do you have a second week tweak? I have an awesome award for you if you do. I think you may have said you'll eat breakfast can I put this down?

Brady and Raidne do you guys drink enough water? Take a vitamin supplement? Stretch out enough? Have some obviously unhealthy food you can reduce in your life?

Brady had a really major first week change, think about the little stuff, (that stuff adds up). Could you add vegetables, fruit, omega three fats to your diet in any obvious places? I have faith in you that you will think of something!

Smegma gets the Ball of Twine Award. (I wanted to give her something her avatar could play with.) Smegma comes to the Challenge is the usual handicaps, she has some unhealthy habits that have lead to some unwanted weight. However she also comes to the challenge with an added disadvantage, she has a busted thyroid. Her own personal labyrinth, complete with a raging beast that can rear it’s ugly head at unexpected places; this is a health condition that is very hard to get a handle on. Unlike Theseus, Smegma is making her own clew, and this one is made up of a first week commitment of replacing one meal a day with a salad, and only having soda once a week. Her second tweak to her life style was to set a menu with her boyfriend every week, to eliminate the temptation of having take out, or delivery. That’s quite skein you making for yourself Smegma. :)

Thank you! What a great idea - how sweet?! That totally made my day.

Because I had the news about the gluten change, I took last weekend to really go hardcore at the things I would miss. This week was really my first week going full head-on into my new lifestyle. I've reduced my carbs, eliminated gluten, no pop all week, no caffeine at all. Mostly salads, a couple of Chipotle crunchy tacos (which I love and are gluten free), small portion of steak and lots of veggies. Lots and LOTS of water.

However, the sugar crash I experienced really took it out of me til today, so I didn't get any of the workouts that I wanted to in. I was sleeping like 14 hours a day and I couldn't figure out why, til I realized I was so sugar and caffeine loaded that I totally bottomed out. But I woke up today feeling better than yesterday (which was the toughest day, BY FAR) and I went on a two mile walk/jog. I used to be a big runner (All-State Track, etc) but with this added weight my chest has grown to a 36E. Running is almost ridiculous and obscene, even with a sports bra. I will be getting a good one to lock them down.

Total weight lost so far, 5lbs. Encouraging, but because I started a week late AND 10lbs heavier than I thought, definitely going to readjust my goal to go down to 140 by the end of the three months.

Brady and Raidne do you guys drink enough water? Take a vitamin supplement? Stretch out enough? Have some obviously unhealthy food you can reduce in your life?

Actually, I do need to drink more water, I pretty much always fall well short of the 2 litres a day that I aim for. So I'll make that my tweak.

The eating more vegetables and fruits has been going well enough, even if it's more fruits than veggies. I plan to continue with that. I've been very active lately, from raking up tons of dead leaves from my parents island cottage to really vigorously cleaning there for preparation of a big family get-together next week.Both my hands have blisters and one of them even broke. Ouch! I even managed to go to the sea three times and I just love swimming. We're back in town for a day and then we'll be headed out there again on Sunday and we won't be back until Tuesday night. I can promise you there's going to be tons of work to do, some of it under the burning sun, but I'll definitely be able to go swimming a couple more times. I'll try to be as good as possible with my eating. :/

For next week I'm going to start doing some stretching exercises daily. It's incredible how sore I feel all of a sudden, I know I had a rough couple of days but that's just ridiculous.

Smegma, that sounds so tough. At least the diet change should make you feel better long-term!

I used to be a big runner (All-State Track, etc) but with this added weight my chest has grown to a 36E. Running is almost ridiculous and obscene, even with a sports bra. I will be getting a good one to lock them down.

Have you tried one of those sports tops with in-built bra or chest support? Nowhere near enough on its own, of course, but I find that if I wear a reasonably tight one of those over a well-fitting sports bra, the result is far less bounce than with the sports bra alone.

My tweaks are currently breakfast (even if its just yoghurt), cutting out snacking and workouts. Next week should be very quiet and boring, so i'm adding either a workout or a long walk/run every day (depending on temperature and temperament and schedule).

The week after that I'm hopefully in Jordan, so all bets are off.

Smegma - I've found an elastic tank top a few sizes too small (with no sleeves so its not digging into anything) thats very strechy over a bra to be a good solution to all bouncing, er, issues. Its not comfortable for every day wear, but its perfect for running.

Smegma,

Thank you for your post in my other thread! Also I just wanted to mention, have you heard about Quinoa? It's a super grain and has completely no gluten. It's high in protein and other valuable nutrients and it's quite tasty. You can cook it like rice and serve it with meals but they also make quinoa pasta and bread and other things. Just do a search for quinoa on Amazon to see all the products they have.

Best of luck!

I feel like for the last couple of months I have been letting myself go a bit. Not too much, and I tend to let my weight fluctuate through the year with out much stress. My general feeling is that as long as I fit in my clothes I'm fine.

Then about and a half month ago I started my month of doom. In which my niece, my mother, my father, my grandma, my grandfather, and my uncle have all been hospitalized for very serious things. I also put my cat down.

When I get stressed out, I loose all of my energy, and simply want to sit and eat. (How I envy the people who get too stressed to eat...) Not the healthiest of ways to deal with stress, and I know I can do better. I had already been on the plumper side of normal before the month of doom started. (Which was also my birthday month and that means cakes and sweets).

Now I fear I no longer fit into my clothes. I feel like I've gained about 15 lbs from my fitter side of normal weight. I'd like to set a goal to loose about a pound a week until it's gone. I would love some weight loss buddies. I realize we have both a eating right, and an exercise thread. But I feel like I want this thread to be specifically for people trying to loose weight (or at least talk about weight loss issues.) Eating right and exercise are about much more then weight loss, and I don't want to clutter those threads with a fixation of weight.

So who else want to take a weight loss challenge with me? I want to put the challenge at three months starting this Monday. Who feels like they can commit themselves to helping each other and themselves by hitting a weight loss goal by that point? To participate all you need to do is post you goal (Either a weight or number of pounds to loose), and a weekly update on how your doing. (Though if you want to do more then once a week of course you can.)

Monday I am going to post my weight, and a picture (you do not need to do this). Weekly I am going to check my weight on Monday, in three months, on November 9th I hope to have lost 15 lbs, and generally be in better shape. I would love some help with that goal. I would love to do this as a group with some people.

Edit.

Putting a little more structure on this. To join the challengers think of tweak of a habit you can do and commit to for 12 weeks. At least one tweak, however minor, per week. Have the tweak be specific enough to mean something such as instead of saying "I'll walk more" say "I'll walk 30 minutes more a day." But not so strict that you can't honestly see your self doing it for three months. What ever you decide is your tweak of the week. Make at least one post a week with an update good or bad how your doing. (It's really hard to change so be kind to your fellow Challengers.)

I am starting to compile a list of everyone’s tweak of the week. I hope to make 12 of these posts, it should be awesome at the end of the challenge to see what tweaks were the easiest, which where most successful, and which we will keep with us after the challenge. You can do things other then your tweak to loose weight, but your tweak is something that you are DEFINITELY going to do for the whole length of the challenge which starts officially on Monday the 9th of August and goes through until November 9th.

Here are the Challengers!

1. My first tweak is that I am not going to bring money to work. I spend it on unhealthy food, when I’ve brought perfectly good food. I feel like this will cut down on my bad snacking a lot. I feel like I can commit to this for three months.

2. Raidne’s first tweak is to replace her morning bagel with a morning yogurt. She is also looking into her beer consumption and is thinking about lessening it but that will probably be a future tweak.

3. Nicole’s first tweak looks at Raidne’s first tweak and says “is that all you got”. Nicole is lessening her beer composition down to zero for the next 12 weeks. Her commitment to the Challenge is breath taking.

4. Tobin has made the commitment to take the 8 flights of stairs at her work every day. The force is strong with her and so I’m sure she will succeed. The Jedi training has begun.

5. Smegma looks at us pansies who are committing to one thing and raises the bar by committing to two. This week she’s has decided to replace one meal a day with a salad, and give up soda except for once a week with pizza, because pizza and soda are an amazing combination.

6. Datepalm going to start the challenge in the most civilized of ways and promises to eat breakfast for the next three months. has decided that she doesn't want to be defined by the social norms of eating breakfast. But instead will run down her food every other day, and do this while cutting back on the snacks. (She might not have said she's running down her food, but I defiantly remember she said she would be running every other day. )

7. Lady Narcissa is going to muster the self control of a shaolin monk and walk by the bowl of free candy at her work for three months with out taking any. She's also going to be a role model for Lindsay Lohan and give up Coke.

8. Kalbear has boldly proclaimed that he is going to give up dessert, and following Smegma’s lead will replace lunch with a salad.

9. Erik Hazelfield has said that he can reduce the portions of his meals. Let’s see if Erik Hazelfield can be true to his word.

10. Quiet Colors is going to replace food with cuteness and simply stare at her avatar for the next three months… Or she is going to commit to eating five servings of fruit before let herself snack on junk. I forget which one it is.

11. Ztemhead is going to also work strongly on reducing the portions of his meals. He is going to remember that there are to go bags so that if he’s spending $40 on dinner it doesn’t mean he has to eat ALL of it right then. He is also going to eat more slowly and drink more water while he eats for the next three months.

12. JungianQueen has decided that instead of seeking power she is going to seek knowledge of the way. To do this for the next three months she is going to do weight training at least 3 times a week. Not grab fast food on the way home school or work, and not eat after 8pm.

13. Brady is an inspiration to us all and is giving up sex… But also not drinking during the week, doing 30 minutes of running a day, and doing 30 minutes of either cycling or push up and sit up a day for the next twelve weeks. By doing this he hopes to loose three kangaroos or something; the Australian units of measurement are beyond wacky.

14. Eloisa has woven some nice first tweaks for herself. She is going to keep healthy snacks with her at work, and eat a larger lunch and some fruit later in the afternoon. This will help her cut back on the supers that are perhaps just a wee bit to big and the help silence the sirens of chocolate that call to her as a snack. She’s also going to be careful not to hurt her right leg so that she can more consistently exercise.

15. FezRock is going to rock the gym out at least once a week. So he is defiantly going to go to the gym at least 12 times before this challenge has ended.

16. Blaine23 is going to start by eliminating soda. Next tweak may be coffee if he can feel he can commit to that for 3 months. But soda is a great start.

17. Jaxom1974 is going bike at least three times a weeks, and be a better father.

18. Angalin first tweak is sleep. She will be in bed by midnight thirty. She's also dreaming of rain because she is going to be drinking at least 4 tall glasses of water a day.

19. Phoenix's is going to show her injuries who’s the boss (hint not Tony) by exercising in spite of them, on a stationary bike (I bet you didn't see that one coming Bad Knee). She is going to do this at least three times a week. She is also going to just say no to chocolate chip cookies.

20. Death herself (Mashiara) has decided to tweak her lifestyle (deathstyle?) for the next three months by taking the stairs in her building instead of the elevator. By showing certain communist that breakfast is a habit that can be learned at any age. She also going to give up beer, and only indulge in dessert every few days.

21. Peterbound wants to be a caveman (and so is doing the Paleo diet). I can tell you for certain his car is not insured by Geico.

22. Prue’s first tweak will be to deafening herself to the soft flaky serenade of the scone. She is going to eat only three meals a day and drink water in between meals. The scone will also have to make it’s one play at seduction during breakfast as Prue will be having no carbs after that. She is also going to walk at least two times a week.

23. Bigfatcoward is showing us that he is actually very brave by doing the Challenge. By the November 9th his name will probably be Tall Lanky Hero. He is striving towards that name by first eliminating lager from his home, and will instead be drinking Vodka and slimeline tonic.

24. Tyria has decided to use her laser like focus to participate in the Challenge. She is going to get over her gingervitus, by cutting out her daily ginger ale. She is also going to reduce her beer consumption, and going to do her elliptical machine at least 3 times a week.

25. Capoeirista13 is doing the Challenge in opposite world. The sky is orange, the grass is red, and he's a trying to gain a few pounds. He's doing this by snacking on nuts, and adding that ever elusive meal breakfast to his diet.

26. Mudguard has entered the challenge. Mudguard’s first tweak is to go hiking or running at least three times a week. For your first update I would be interested in knowing how effective of a guard you have been in these challenging conditions, will you shoes still be white?

27. Kymeera’s a psychic and joined the Challenge before there was a Challenge. It’s freaky, it’s weird, and not explainable to science, but then there she did it. (You may want to ask this one for lotto numbers). Her first tweaks (made in advance!) where to start taking the stairs, and add a 15 minute daily exercise routine to her life. Never one to be quantified or qualified she is also choosing to reduce her processed food consumption by a bit.

28. Callum starting this journey with a wish for Fortunes favor, and we all give that to him. He is going to start his long suit of the fickle Lady of Luck by gently tweaking his lifestyle. First he is going to get her attention by making a big change, eating three meals a day, with only healthy snacks in between. Once he has her attention he is going to continue the pursuit by sleeping at least 8 hours a night to have enough energy to focus on his Lady, and stretching for at least five minutes a day.

IF I YOU SEE THAT I MISSED SOMEONE OR MESSED UP YOUR TWEAK LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!

To stay on this list you need to post at least once a week with an update on how you’re doing an make at least one new tweak of the week.

If your tweak really doesn’t work, I have an edit button on this post. Just explain why it didn’t work, and what an alternate change you can make is. Such as if your first tweak is to go running every day, but then you injure you foot, you can make your new tweak to do Sit and Be Fit every morning.

No one is perfect, and we are probably not going to be all perfect at changing our habits. It’s okay to have a bad update. Going out of one’s comfort zone is hard, and having a set back doesn’t mean you failed. Just keep plugging away.

Be kind to your fellow Challengers. Abuse WILL NOT be tolerated.

Anyone can join at anytime, just post a goal and tweak.

With that let the Challenge begin!

I'm in. I've been both the fatty priest type and the desolate ascetic. I could probably stand to lose about thirty pounds. I'm drifting back towards fasting. Trust me, it's great for the mind. But I will not give up beer. Here's my diet: Beer. Apples. Oranges. Granola when I feel like my colon isn't getting the workout it should. More beer. I may even take a bite of an apple and an orange at the same time, and then wash it down with some beer.

Good luck everone.

Haven't read the whole thread but I'll join you!

I have about 50 lbs tops to lose. I don't really care too much about weight but moreso looking and feeling good.

I lost about 30lbs last summer and started to put it back on. It was getting to me not having a job + I had to move back to parents and I think the cruncher was an ex continiually screwing me over and letting her walk all over me.

Now I've finally landed a job (huzzah only took about 1 year and a bit), it's contact centre work and not really secure but I'm just so happy to be working and even if it ends in 3 months time (it's a short contract + its a pilot so no gaurantees) it helps improve my C.V. and lands me some much needed cash to play with and helps improve my self esteem.

So I'm going back exactly to the diet I was doing beforehand. Drinking ONLY water and only eating 3-4 pieces of fruit throughout the day and having one meal every day with vegetables, usually chicken in some sort of (light) sauce, combined with rice. Or stir frys. Healthy and delicious!

I have a lot of motivation. A gig I'm going to on Nov 28th I know that ex will be there as it's a band she likes and I just want to rub it in as a sort of revenge.

So aye I'll weigh myself tomorrow and start tomorrow. See how I get on.

Archived