U.S. Politics, 4

TerraPrime

The Pentagon was hit on 9/11 too. There's a Muslim prayer room inside it, near where the plane hit. Should that be moved out to a building that didn't suffer attacks?

Probably. Similarly, any families of Muslim victims of 9/11 should not be allowed near the memorials. You know, because even though their sons/daughters/brothers/mothers/fathers were also killed in the attacks doesn't make them any less guilty of being terrorists- er, I mean Muslims- er, I mean terrorists.

Of course, I would condemn the building of all mosques. Islam needs to be marginalized for the terrible ideology that it is. It promotes oppression and suppresses civil rights. Morally, I put it a few notches above the Klu Klux Klan.

I could care less where the mosque happens to be built, it's all symbolism anyway. The mosque should be condemned for the ideology it espouses, not for who is espousing it or where it happens to be located.

Holy shit... This has got to be the most absurd thing you've ever said... And you've said some pretty crazy shit in the past.

I used to think the Cordoba mosque controversy was a good thing. When prominent republican figures started taking positions that were so obviously wrong I was sure it would cause a backlash favorable to democrats.

But this is getting insane. Its like republicans today actually take pride in the explicitness of their racism. They are changing from what was previously simply a party whose politics I disagreed with into group whose core platforms are both monstrous and completely alien to my point of view.

FLOW,

Okay. A block further out than the outermost building damaged by the attack. Given that this particular building was itself damaged in the attack, I think it ca legitimate be considered part of the "site" itself.

So, are Muslims allowed to live within that radius, or should it be a completely Muslim-free zone?

I can't believe you're actually showing admiration for this crap!

Why? Images have power. You can make a lot of solid, rational arguments, but unless you're a truly great orator, at the end of the day, the masses are much more likely to be influenced by a single picture than whatever it is you had to say. Since the end of WWII, quality propaganda has been rather rare in the West so I like to point it out when I see it.

DG,

You aren't on the left of the political spectrum? I have no problem with lables, if the are accurate. You labeling everyone on the right as Islamophobic. That's simply not accurate.

Ironically enough I started using "the right wing" as a label for the retrograde strain of conservatism that seems to have taken over the Republican Party because you used to bitch about me using the word "conservative." Keep calling yourself a classical liberal, and I'll keep on using "the right wing*" as shorthand for The Subset of Political Conservatives Whose Perfidy, Ignorance, and Fear-Based Politics Have Fucked Us All For Decades.

And no, I didn't say the right wing* was all Islamophobic. Just that they're amping up Islamophobia for cheap political points.

FLOW,

The entire problem with the "it's insensitive to build there" argument is that it has no rational basis and it is based purely on emotion.

You've rejected "hurt feelings" and "emotions" as grounds to object to otherwise legal conduct before, so let me ask you this -- aren't "hurt feelings" and "emotions" the only objection to what Fred Phelps and his ilk do?

Or wearing a "cold dead fingers" t-shirt to observe a memorial service for someone killed by a gun? Sure, it's legal, but that doesn't make it right.

Again, its the Auschwitz convent scenario. To be honest, I don't and didn't really understand the objection to that convent. I'm not aware of any claim that any nuns were complicit in the holocaust.

But you know what? Given what happened there, it's a damn lousy place to make a principled stand against anti-Catholic bias. It's simple courtesy and respect to back off a bit from understandably raw feelings.

And now, I honestly no longer believe the imam's claim that the reason for locating the facility at this site is to bring people together. If that ever was the motivation, I don't think it is now.

And now, I honestly no longer believe the imam's claim that the reason for locating the facility at this site is to bring people together. If that ever was the motivation, I don't think it is now.

Wait, how the suffering fuck do you square this? He's to blame for xenophobic grandstanding politicians using his community center as a cheap bogeyman? What the FUCK?

But this is getting insane. Its like republicans today actually take pride in the explicitness of their racism. They are changing from what was previously simply a party whose politics I disagreed with into group whose core platforms are both monstrous and completely alien to my point of view.

And these bastards could potentially gain control of our country within the next few years. If that isn't a cry for every and anyone who isn't part of the insanity to mobilize against them and ensure they never gain either a) a majority in congress or b ) the presidency, I don't know what is.

Yes, because it was the imam who is responsible for the controversy and not Republican politicians and ideologues trying to frame a pointless debate so they don't have to debate actual issues.

Archived