New Exercise & Fitness Thead

lessthanluke

Were they full ROM with proper technique?

I'm not sure, as I'm no master of powerlifting technique, but he certainly did his deadlifts much faster than I do on mine. No pause at the top to shrug back the shoulders, and didn't seem to have much control over the bar. Especially going down, rather than controlling the descent he'd just let his body slam down each time. The sound of that much weight bashing into the floor over and over was incredibly jarring, gave me a startle reflex each time.

I wish my gym would allow chalk use, as my hands get pretty sweaty when working out and it definitely screws up my grip and makes everything far harder than need be.

As Darth Vader would say, most impressive.

I gotta imagine those last few laps are interesting after all the squats.

The squats are light to me, but there just isn't time to catch your breath. It was a cardio nightmare. :D

I always find it fascinating how deceiving appearances can be, especially with regards to strength. This morning I watched a heavily muscular man deadlift 300lbs as his 1RM, then immediately afterwards a skinny teenager goes up to the barbell and deadlifts 450lbs for multiple reps.

The teenager isn't that skinny if he doing 450 for reps. At such a point, it's more appropriate to call him lean, I would guess.

As for being 'heavily muscular' and not having a deadlift that one would consider appropriate to that mass, I would guess that lifter is unbalanced in his training regimen. Many lifters work on their upper body and not their lower body. For instance, if a man's upper arms are thicker than his upper thighs, he's a bit unbalanced and needs to chill with the curls and make with the squats and deads. There are dozens of these guys in every gym.

Sunday I saw a guy who was muscular, but not a nasty bodybuilder look, knocking out the most beautiful deadlifts I've ever seen. He did them rapidly but not fast, but just destroyed them, he was doing close to 325lbs I think. Never had the slightest hint of rounding to his back, The bar traveled a totally perfect vertical path, it was incredible, way more impressive to see him knock out 8 or 10 reps of those perfect reps across three sets than to see some steroided youtube dude do one rep of 1000 lbs. His squat form was also spectacular, the only person I've ever seen in the gym who brought the top of his thighs below parallel. You could see him doing it perfectly and I really saw the hip drive in action; it was almost like I could

putting his hand on the dudes sacram and saying "push my hand up" as he demonstrates the ideal hip drive. Again, perfect vertical bar path. The only critique Rip would have had were that his elbows were perhaps not quite high enough. :-p

Sunday I saw a guy who was muscular, but not a nasty bodybuilder look, knocking out the most beautiful deadlifts I've ever seen. He did them rapidly but not fast, but just destroyed them, he was doing close to 325lbs I think. Never had the slightest hint of rounding to his back, The bar traveled a totally perfect vertical path, it was incredible, way more impressive to see him knock out 8 or 10 reps of those perfect reps across three sets than to see some steroided youtube dude do one rep of 1000 lbs.

Doing 325lbs for 10 reps is more impressive than the greatest deadlift of all time? No. Just no. I think this thread is going to make my head explode.

Sunday I saw a guy who was muscular, but not a nasty bodybuilder look, knocking out the most beautiful deadlifts I've ever seen. He did them rapidly but not fast, but just destroyed them, he was doing close to 325lbs I think. Never had the slightest hint of rounding to his back, The bar traveled a totally perfect vertical path, it was incredible, way more impressive to see him knock out 8 or 10 reps of those perfect reps across three sets than to see some steroided youtube dude do one rep of 1000 lbs. His squat form was also spectacular, the only person I've ever seen in the gym who brought the top of his thighs below parallel. You could see him doing it perfectly and I really saw the hip drive in action; it was almost like I could

putting his hand on the dudes sacram and saying "push my hand up" as he demonstrates the ideal hip drive. Again, perfect vertical bar path. The only critique Rip would have had were that his elbows were perhaps not quite high enough. :-p

Let's be accepting of all body images in here, as I'm sure there are people that want to look like body builders, and admire their physiques. Every body type is beautiful in its own way, and variety is the spice of life :)

Perfectly executed squats and deadlifts truly are a thing of beauty. Such a fluid and natural motion. Can't say the same for bench press though, :P

Speaking of numbers, can Stego or an experienced power lifter tell me if my current understanding is about right?

Bench press: 200-250lbs = average 250-300lbs = great 300+ = awesome

Squat & deadlift: 200-300lbs = average 400-500lbs = great 500+ = awesome

Overhead press: 100-150 = average 150-200 = great 200+ = awesome

Doing 325lbs for 10 reps is more impressive than the greatest deadlift of all time? No. Just no. I think this thread is going to make my head explode.

It's ok, Luke. Deep breaths. He knows not what he says.

Let's be accepting of all body images in here

This.

Speaking of numbers, can Stego or an experienced power lifter tell me if my current understanding is about right?

Bench press: 200-250lbs = average 250-300lbs = great 300+ = awesome

Squat & deadlift: 200-300lbs = average 400-500lbs = great 500+ = awesome

Overhead press: 100-150 = average 150-200 = great 200+ = awesome

I wish this were true. I could then tattoo AWESOME on my forehead. The reality is that it depends on a huge number of factors. Sex would be the first variable. Weight would be the second. Training experience comes in third. Then nutrition. Then supplementation. Then age. Then about a million other things.

The reality is that lifting more today than you did yesterday is awesome. Every fucking time.

It's ok, Luke. Deep breaths. He knows not what he says.

I. Am. Calm. Anddddd relax.

I wish this were true. I could then tattoo AWESOME on my forehead. The reality is that it depends on a huge number of factors. Sex would be the first variable. Weight would be the second. Training experience comes in third. Then nutrition. Then supplementation. Then age. Then about a million other things.

The reality is that lifting more today than you did yesterday is awesome. Every fucking time.

This. I am in no way shape or form awesome. Yet.

1RM is the best gauge of maximum strength, though. Of course those guys busting out extremely heavy 1RMs can also do plenty of reps with lighter weights, but as far as I know doing heavier weights with lower reps is by far the best way to increase maximum strength. I personally don't go beyond 5 reps on any of the main lifts, as then it just feels more like muscle endurance than strength building.

Pull up bar arrived and installed. We might have to tack some wood above the door frame and attach it on that (provided the doors actually have studs on both sides), but for my weight it's holding pretty well, and I'm short enough I can get full extension on it as is. Already enjoying being able to work on pull ups/hanging leg lifts/scissors/various holds without going down to the park. Now I just need to dig out the ankle weights and start working on active flexibility for split jumps.

Today was Day 1 of my Half Marathon training program. My race is September 17 so I have plenty of time. The first 5 weeks are actually labelled "pre-training." But Wednesdays will be my cross-training days and I plan to do lifting on those days and perhaps on other "rest" days depending on how my body responds.

This morning was 40 degrees, driving rain and 20 mph winds. I was pretty proud of myself for still getting up at 5:30 am and getting my run in. It can only get better between now and September . :P

okay the bodybuilder remark was dumb, but personally, I'm not fond of the roid look.

But yeah, I've never been enamored of 1RM lifts. I am much more impressed by being able to do more than one rep.

A couple of things, respectfully:

-The look you are referring to is that of extreme leanness and water deprivation. (The bodybuilder look.) It has nothing to do with steroids. If you really mean what you said about steroids (and, again, respectfully, anyone that uses the term 'roid' generally does not know what they are talking about) then you are talking about a million and one different looks. Anabolic steroids do not make you bigger. Food does. There are as many different looking people who have used steroids as there are different looking people who have not used steroids. The 'bodybuilder look' is in no way equal to the 'steroid user look.'

-One can never know what weight to use to get stronger on a set without having an idea of their 1rm. One does not need to constantly try to improve their 1rm or even see what it is very often, but not being aware of it while being on a lifting program is like tapdancing barefoot. There's really little point in it.

Pull up bar arrived and installed. We might have to tack some wood above the door frame and attach it on that (provided the doors actually have studs on both sides), but for my weight it's holding pretty well, and I'm short enough I can get full extension on it as is. Already enjoying being able to work on pull ups/hanging leg lifts/scissors/various holds without going down to the park. Now I just need to dig out the ankle weights and start working on active flexibility for split jumps.

Awesome!

This morning was 40 degrees, driving rain and 20 mph winds. I was pretty proud of myself for still getting up at 5:30 am and getting my run in. It can only get better between now and September . :P

This sounds like perfect running weather to me. Actually this post made me a bit jealous that I'm not running anymore.

-One can never know what weight to use to get stronger on a set without having an idea of their 1rm. One does not need to constantly try to improve their 1rm or even see what it is very often, but not being aware of it while being on a lifting program is like tapdancing barefoot. There's really little point in it.

What perfect timing...

Decided to test my 1RMs today instead of doing a regular workout. This is the result.

Deadlift: 185 - PR

Front Squat: 170 - PR

DB Bench Press: 60 lb Dumbbells - PR

DB Rows: 60 lb Dumbbells - PR

officially at at least 1.5x bodyweight for deadlifts. Not there on front squats yet, I tried for 175 but my core just was not having it. I actually got up to 195 for dls but my grip started giving out and my form went to shit so I'm just counting the 185.

okay the bodybuilder remark was dumb, but personally, I'm not fond of the roid look.

But yeah, I've never been enamored of 1RM lifts. I am much more impressed by being able to do more than one rep.

Benni Magnusson doing 575 x 22 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjMB2OZYYrc&feature=player_embedded

Luke out.

ETA: 330 or whatever it was x 10 really is not impressive by someone who has been training a decent amount of time.

I've started doing front squats again since I can't get as full a range of motion with hack squats. Getting the bar back to the rack is actually far more stressful for me than the actual exercise, since I always seem to miss by a little when re-racking, and end up almost falling with the weight.

Thinking of maybe starting up CrossFit by the end of the year, once my cardio and strength have improved. Just not feeling up to it yet.

What perfect timing...

Decided to test my 1RMs today instead of doing a regular workout. This is the result.

Deadlift: 185 - PR

Front Squat: 170 - PR

DB Bench Press: 60 lb Dumbbells - PR

DB Rows: 60 lb Dumbbells - PR

officially at at least 1.5x bodyweight for deadlifts. Not there on front squats yet, I tried for 175 but my core just was not having it. I actually got up to 195 for dls but my grip started giving out and my form went to shit so I'm just counting the 185.

PR-ing all up in this bitch. Congrats on your great day, Cap!

How often do lifters that have been at it for multiple years usually get PRs? Right now I can up the weights every month since I'm a beginner, so it's not too special to hit a PR, but I can imagine it is for those that are pushing through their limits.

Archived