New Exercise & Fitness Thead

lessthanluke

after double-sculling twice last week, today i rowed coxed four and loved it.

i haven't realized how much i missed it over the winter!

clear sky + sun + river + rowing with your mates = happy times!

Nobody does overhead squats for leg strength, I think. The legs are never the limiting factor. There is not much point in doing them unless you want to learn to do squat snatches.

Is it mostly for building static strength in the shoulders, then? I can't even overhead squat with the bar itself because my shoulders can't hold it in a locked position for long.

Just did 60 miles on bicycle. Ran across a guy playing with rings on a bridge, stopped for ten minutes to join in. I need to get my own set of rings, they are so fun.

I hurts. I Ate, perhaps the hottest thing I have ever eaten last night and it's still with me. My God, I make a devastating chili. Upside, I still can't feel my sense of hunger.

Just did 60 miles on bicycle. Ran across a guy playing with rings on a bridge, stopped for ten minutes to join in. I need to get my own set of rings, they are so fun.

I hurts. I Ate, perhaps the hottest thing I have ever eaten last night and it's still with me. My God, I make a devastating chili. Upside, I still can't feel my sense of hunger.

Gymnastic rings?

I will never combine spicy food and exercise again after my last experience weight lifting after Thai food. Horrible idea.

Gymnastic rings?

I will never combine spicy food and exercise again after my last experience weight lifting after Thai food. Horrible idea.

Yes, gymnastics rings.

I am kinda a pain-aholic so although this is a bit much, on principle I enjoy it. But wow, when I said I'd go all out on this batch of chili, I was not kidding. I think my sweat has capsicum in it, as I have been burning (mildly but noticeable) when I perspire today.

The rings he had were just plastic things on straps that you could set up anywhere. Hence the middle of a bridge.

I used habeneros, but then on tasting it, I felt it was not giving enough of a kick, so as a last resort I grabbed a bottle of sauce purported to be 300,000 scoville heat units and dumped some in. Trick done. I was going to let various family members try it today, but they have work tomorrow, and I know they will need the full weekend to recover if they eat it. Roommate's friend ate a single scoop of the stuff last night and he's in much worse shape than I am today. I had a bowl, great thing about the heat, is that it eliminates portion control issues.

ETA: Why are my finger tips burning!?

Rings are the shit, they are super fun.

Also spicy food makes me hungrier.

On another note, I am extremely happy that I stopped deadlifting so much when I started upping the weight, because even on the workout schedule I'm using right now there is some lower back pain. So I would like to personally thank Stego, Lessthanluke, and Peterbound for telling me to deadlift less. Other than that, seeing good gains all around and liking it. I just got up to 40 lb dumbbells in arnold presses this last workout where I had previously been stuck at 35. Aiming for 55 lbs dumbbells for this next bench press.

The rings he had were just plastic things on straps that you could set up anywhere. Hence the middle of a bridge.

I used habeneros, but then on tasting it, I felt it was not giving enough of a kick, so as a last resort I grabbed a bottle of sauce purported to be 300,000 scoville heat units and dumped some in. Trick done. I was going to let various family members try it today, but they have work tomorrow, and I know they will need the full weekend to recover if they eat it. Roommate's friend ate a single scoop of the stuff last night and he's in much worse shape than I am today. I had a bowl, great thing about the heat, is that it eliminates portion control issues.

Really? I'll have to check out that then. Looks like they're pretty cheap, too.

300,000 is insane, you should count yourself lucky to still be alive :P Love of spice is culinary masochism.

On another note, I am extremely happy that I stopped deadlifting so much when I started upping the weight, because even on the workout schedule I'm using right now there is some lower back pain. So I would like to personally thank Stego, Lessthanluke, and Peterbound for telling me to deadlift less. Other than that, seeing good gains all around and liking it. I just got up to 40 lb dumbbells in arnold presses this last workout where I had previously been stuck at 35. Aiming for 55 lbs dumbbells for this next bench press.

How often do you deadlift? I do all the main presses just once a week, with a day devoted to each one, and two days of no lifting. No injuries or pains so far, thank God!

Holy shit. I just finished my MoveNat course. That thing whooped my ass. I've got scratches, bruises, and cuts all over my body from climbing trees, picking up rocks, and running through streams. Lots and lots of fun. We even played tag (for time of course), great great day, and i'm sore as hell, so it was worth it.

Sounds like an interesting course and a great blend of nature and exercise :)

I just managed to hold a handstand for thirty seconds, I'm ecstatic. Did a little happy jig immediately afterwards. Now if only I can manage to make that consistent rather than take 20 trys just to get into a handstand :P

How often do you deadlift? I do all the main presses just once a week, with a day devoted to each one, and two days of no lifting. No injuries or pains so far, thank God!

Twice a week max, once a week minimum. A rest day between each workout.

While I might squat twice a week, I only deadlift once a week.

Today I did the crossfit WOD, run a mile, rest 3min, run .75 mile rest 2 min, run .5 mile rest 1min, run .25 mile.

I managed to do it all at a 1 degree incline at 6.5mph, so it took about 24;45 total. Not too bad, I thin I may make it my regular sunday workout, and add a tenth of a mile to the speed every week. It's different from intervals, different from a straight half-hour or hour run. Really it was the novelty of doing something new that helped more than anything, I was not as deadly bored as I tend to be with any running exercise I do.

Overhead squats are great exercise to increase mobility, strength and balance all over the body. With heavier weights it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain balance during the squat phase and all those little muscles in your arms, back and torso really have to work hard to make small corrections according to the slight movements of the bar. A coach I know has used the exercise successfully to improve the performance of alpine skiers. I recommend it to everyone.

Shamrock Shuffle (8k, or 4.97 miles) went decently as could be expected. Finished at about 48 minutes, or roughly 9:40 a mile. Not bad for the little training, some drinking the night before, and an 81 degree day (81!?! WTF? It was 60 degrees the day before and after) but a clear loss of speed and fitness from this fall.

On the plus side, I'm in a way better place than I was a year ago, so I'm hoping that once serious training starts at the end of spring I'll improve even more.

Plan on getting in about 15 miles this week, along with some light weights and a bike ride if I can.

Archived