New Exercise & Fitness Thead

lessthanluke

Since I got my new kidney I've been trying to improve training, but even after six month I'm having problems reaching former performances -I can't go more than 10/15 km a day and that is frustrating in more than one way.

Getting rid of fluid load after the surgery (geniuses they are, kept on loading me until they got 25Kg over my own weight because they thought my blood pressure was too load: I tried to explain trained people has lower blood pressure but doctors are thickheaded sometimes). Now the thing is I can't tell if it's medicines I must take which get me tired or if it's just age and being lazy getting a hold on me.

Stretching is becoming a nightmare though, it hurts like it never did before and I'm not able to reach my feet anymore. Lifting looks like out of reach: I used to have amazingly strong legs but now I doubt I could take more than my own weight plus some light shopping results.

it is almost beyond my comprehension that humans can run 26 miles at 4.45 min miles.

Indeed. One of my co-workers finished a marathon in 2:59, which is about two full minutes slower than the pace you mentioned, but still a bit mind-boggling.

just watching the london marathon, it is almost beyond my comprehension that humans can run 26 miles at 4.45 min miles.

it's exhausting to watch it, i can't imagine how they run it ;)

i ran a half-marathon today after 9 years and did it in 1:51:14.

it's not much, but it's my personal record (by 5 minutes) so i'm more than happy with it.

So I went and worked out today, and looked at the numbers I was doing for a 3x3 scheme and apparently I'm lifting ~90% of my 1RM for just about every lift, except for pull ups which I really can't tell. Does that sound right?

That sounds about right, and 90% is what I do when I do 3 reps of a lift.

For the first time, today I wasn't able to do as much on a lift as I did the previous time. Was very disappointing :( Increasing weights sure feels wonderful, but having to go back down feels shitty.

There is so much freaking conflicting advice out there about weight lifting. One of my friends who was one of the main reasons I finally got off my butt about doing it is now telling me that I'm basically doing it all wrong...now I'm freaking out and totally confused.

Anyway, I already read the damn book and am going to keep going with it until it really seems useless.

Made it back to the gym today and was able to actually get out 5x5 for squat, bench press, and deadlift. So that was good. Feeling a little less sore, finally! I had so many muscles I didn't even know COULD hurt!

Still haven't attempted the press or power clean. Which means my workout schedule is a little messed up as I can't do the same thing every time. Guess I'll have to do some other strengthening exercises until I work up to those.

There is so much freaking conflicting advice out there about weight lifting. One of my friends who was one of the main reasons I finally got off my butt about doing it is now telling me that I'm basically doing it all wrong...now I'm freaking out and totally confused.

What did your friend say was wrong about how you're doing things?

Hmm, you were saying before that this is your first time lifting weights?

I haven't read the book in question, but 5x5 seems pretty hardcore for a novice. I would have thought start on much lighter loads and higher reps, and then start upping the loads and lowering the reps as you get more experienced and as your body adapts.

But, like I say, I haven't read Rippetoe so I don't know what his books say on this.

Another really good strength coach whose books and advice is worth looking up is Ian King.

What did your friend say was wrong about how you're doing things?

Oh various things...I was saying I was nervous about learning the power clean and he told me it was a "douchey" exercise. :rolleyes: And that I ought to be using the machines and not free weights at first, and other such things.

Hmm, you were saying before that this is your first time lifting weights?

I haven't read the book in question, but 5x5 seems pretty hardcore for a novice. I would have thought start on much lighter loads and higher reps, and then start upping the loads and lowering the reps as you get more experienced and as your body adapts.

But, like I say, I haven't read Rippetoe so I don't know what his books say on this.

Another really good strength coach whose books and advice is worth looking up is Ian King.

It's basically what Rippetoe recommends, there's like a little sample chart for novice lifters. And I describe it as lighter loads and lower reps at this point. :) I'm just trying to learn the exercises and build up some strength. I have really no interest in getting high numbers or anything.

Oh various things...I was saying I was nervous about learning the power clean and he told me it was a "douchey" exercise. :rolleyes: And that I ought to be using the machines and not free weights at first, and other such things.

well, he's talking shit on both fronts

It's basically what Rippetoe recommends, there's like a little sample chart for novice lifters. And I describe it as lighter loads and lower reps at this point. :) I'm just trying to learn the exercises and build up some strength. I have really no interest in getting high numbers or anything.

cool. fair enough. Keep at it mate!

First time to try and find my 1 rep max lifting. Today I lifted 145# deadlift and 85# push press. Heck yeah!!!! Go me! Before today the most I had even attempted was 55#DL and 35#PP. I had no idea I could lift that much. :)

Edit: I don't know what the heck is up with these fonts. I guess that's what I get when I cut and paste! LOL

That sounds about right, and 90% is what I do when I do 3 reps of a lift.

For the first time, today I wasn't able to do as much on a lift as I did the previous time. Was very disappointing :( Increasing weights sure feels wonderful, but having to go back down feels shitty.

It depends on the lift for me. My best 3RM(3 rep max) on bench is 92%, squats it is 83% and deadlifts it is around 80%. It depends whether you are fast or slow twitch dominant.

Exciting to see that you have started, Starkess! I look forward to following your progress.

Your friend is wrong, Vestrit is right.

It's basically what Rippetoe recommends,

If you think he recommends 5x5, you have misread. If you reread the programming chapter, you'll see that he recommends 3x5 (3 sets of 5 reps) for the squat, press and bench press, 1x5 for the deadlift, and 5x3 for the clean.

I'm just trying to learn the exercises and build up some strength. I have really no interest in getting high numbers or anything.

Well, getting high numbers is pretty much the only way to build up some strength. Just be patient and don't go for high numbers immediately. Start light, add a tiny amount of weight to the bar in every workout, and see how far you can get.

Well I sucked today. Was up till about 2 in the morning Friday night, then worked on my house all day, then had a stag party where I got home about 4. Mostly laid around all day yesterday and this morning when my 5:45 alarm went off for my workout I said the hell with it. Might be able to find some time tonight to get something in.

If you think he recommends 5x5, you have misread. If you reread the programming chapter, you'll see that he recommends 3x5 (3 sets of 5 reps) for the squat, press and bench press, 1x5 for the deadlift, and 5x3 for the clean.

Agreed, that's his number for the work sets, I guess my terminology is lazy as I was including warm up/increments in mine. :)

Well, getting high numbers is pretty much the only way to build up some strength. Just be patient and don't go for high numbers immediately. Start light, add a tiny amount of weight to the bar in every workout, and see how far you can get.

That's what I've been doing. What I was trying to say is that it doesn't matter to me to be able to say "I can bench XX lbs" so I don't care if my numbers are low as long as I have good form and am improving.

Archived