Rooting for Lannister

So judging from the boards, it looks like the general consensus is that Myrcella and Tommen will die. Just real quick and for the record, I do not think Tommen will die. I don't really have any theories as to what his ultimate fate will be but I think he survives the series.

So judging from the boards, it looks like the general consensus is that Myrcella and Tommen will die. Just real quick and for the record, I do not think Tommen will die. I don't really have any theories as to what his ultimate fate will be but I think he survives the series.

I kind of thought Arya would assassinate him. (Tommen)

I kind of thought Arya would assassinate him. (Tommen)

Awe, really?! Now that would disappoint me. I am all for Arya getting bloody vengence on anyone she can get her hands on but not sweet little Tommen. I don't think I could forgive her that....

Tommen might just be killed during the next "sack" of King's landing. In true GRRM irony it would be done by those lords wishing to curry favor to the new Westeros overlords. Much like how Tywin had Rhaegar's children killed and layed before Robert to show that the Lannisters are on his side.

Tommen might just be killed during the next "sack" of King's landing. In true GRRM irony it would be done by those lords wishing to curry favor to the new Westeros overlords. Much like how Tywin had Rhaegar's children killed and layed before Robert to show that the Lannisters are on his side.

I'm usually against killing any Lannister (except for Cersei and Joffrey), but that'd be awesome, storywise.

This is a somewhat popular theory, either involving Tommen or Myrcella, with the lords in question being the Tyrells.

I agree that there will be attempts on his life, no doubt, but I just think they will fail and he'll be safe. Kind of like how Dany ended up....Yay! Long live Tommen ;)

I'm not a Lannister hater, by any means, but people here seem to forget key events of the series when saying "so and so is not guilty of anything!"

Kevan went along with everything Tywin did and said. He was the duty bound brother. But that doesn't excuse him from being part of Tywin's web. The Mad King was murdered and almost the entire family (along with the Dornish Princess) was butchered. The Mad King probably deserved to be killed. Rhaegar and other Targs, who weren't bat-shit crazy didn't. Especially the little babes. So if you think Jaime and Kevan aren't builty of anything, just remember, along with Tywin, those three were party to the murder of their rightful king, princess and virtually the entire Targ family. That doesn't seem innocent to me.

Lancel had sex with his cousin on several occasions and is now a religious zealot. This idiot can't seem to get anything right. He goes from a pompous, rich-boy squire who has sex with the queen who is his COUSIN and trying to be a hard ass, to being church mouse quite and a religious fanatic, mostly because he knows what he did was wrong. He is, of all the Lannisters, the most worthless and it isn't even close.

Tyrion, Jaime and Kevan do all have redeeming qualities. Geena (Jaime's aunt, correct?) is also interesting but to be honest, her and Tyrek and all them have no interest for me, not because they are "evil Lannisters" or "bad guys". To me they are minor characters, none of which we have had the chance to delve into their backgrounds like we have the others. So, to me personally, it is just a situation where GRRM hasn't given me any reason to pull for them (or root against them!). I find that I am not pulling for any one HOUSE to "come out on top" but rather select individuals of each house.

If, somehow, Dany comes back and takes the throne, I think she will be merciful to many, but in the case of Jaime, Kevan and Cersei, assuming they are all alive if/when this were to happen, they are gonna be screwed.

Overall I can see Tyrion becoming Lord of The Rock or even becoming Hand of the King when they all return. I think it is a forgone conclusion that we will see him with Dany....

(warning, SPOILERS FOR ASOS AND AFFC in this post - just in case someone was checking out this thread without having read them)

*raises hand*

Well I didn't in the beginning, of course. But in AFfC their business is really fucked up, which makes me sad for them. Lannisters are supposed to be disgustingly successful, not pitiful and weak. Poor them!

I also like most of the live Lannisters actually. Jaime is one of my favourite characters and I'm really enjoying his character development, and Kevan is someone you want to cheer everytime he's around (especially after he got annoyed with Cersei). I very much liked Genna and Daven when they appeared, and look forward to seeing more of them. Myrcella seems like a great young lady with lots of potential (despite the mutilation) and Tommen is too nice that I'd want anything bad to happen to him.

My thoughts of Tyrion are divided. I liked him a lot until the end of ASoS, after which I have been simply perplexed. Sure, lots of wrong was done to him, but I still think he was acting wrongly and being a total idiot. I can maybe justify his cruel words to Jaime (it was fair enough to tell him about Cersei and maybe he sort of deserved the lie about Joffrey) but even if his father treated him like crap sometimes, killing him was wrong and killing Shae was even less justifiable. Maybe my opinion will be clearer after ADwD.

Cersei is one I don't like but I don't hate her as much as most of the fans seem to. Sometimes I understand her (when she is remembering Robert's mistreatment of her or when she is annoyed by the chauvinism around her, for example). Lancel is annoying and an opportunistic young fool drooling after his elder cousin or a religious fanatic is not exactly my type of favourite character.

All in all, the Lannisters are my favourite big family after the Starks, and I hope they are not completely smashed by the end of the series.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that Jaime will die doing something heroic. How many of us expected Robb to either make it to the end or die with a sword in his hand killing someone important in the process? How many of us could have imagined that The Great Lion of the Rock would be killed in a f*cking privy?

Both deaths have been extremely anti-climatic and "out-of-the-blue", lacking the grandeur that hundred other characters of such prominence have received in their final moments in hundred other stories.

I agree - Jaime deserves a grand exit... but so did Robb and Tywin.

Oh and by the way:

I know chances are slim, but I really want Jaime and Bran to meet at some point. To what end? - don't know and don't care. I just want to see them interacting with each other.

I'd like Jaime to make it, but he has next to no chance of doing so.

I hope Kevan and Tyrion make it to the end. Kevan Lannister never bothered me. He backed his brother, yes, but he doesn't seem to have any of his crueller tendencies. He doesn't even seem to particularly hate Tyrion in the few occasions they're seen to chat to one another. He's clearly got a good head on his shoulders, and isn't half as ruthless as his brother.

I am rooting for Jaime's character arc to continue to be as awesome as it has been so far.

Just last night, on my pre-ADWD reread, I read the AFFC chapter that ends with Jaime smashing that Lannister knight in the mouth and making him say Brienne's name; giving her the respect a proper lady should get.

What can I say? The path that GRRM has taken Jaime on is probably the most compelling one for me out of all the characters.

Well, I do love Jaime and Tyrion (my favourite male characters so far), and I also have a tender spot for Myrcella, Tommen and Kevan. I hope House Lannister won't disappear completely; and I crave Jaime's ending would be more 'sweet', than 'bitter'.

Archived