Favorite character interactions

Ice Turtle

Woah, must protest! I love Cat and Brienne - this difficult mentoring relashionship where each one is absolutely NOT what the other is looking for, and they break a lot of eachothers fundamental assumptions about what it means to be strong, to be loyal, to be a woman, etc, but they totally trust and respect eachother through it anyway (UNTIL they're set at each others throats...) AND I think the need (in the link) to get away from the idea that Brienne is ugly does the character a disservice. Yes, she is ugly. Some people are. Does this somehow impact their ability to be interesting people or great characters to read about?

I hope you didn't think I had a problem with Brienne being "ugly". That's not what I was trying to get at. I was frustrated by in the first chapter they met, mostly, all the times Catelyn was like Pity Party "what an unfortunate thing that's she's not beautiful" "oh seeing that Brienne is taller than Renly is painful to watch" etc

I hope you didn't think I had a problem with Brienne being "ugly". That's not what I was trying to get at. I was frustrated by in the first chapter they met, mostly, all the times Catelyn was like Pity Party "what an unfortunate thing that's she's not beautiful" "oh seeing that Brienne is taller than Renly is painful to watch" etc

I rather like that chapter...Catelyn's perceptions are right, after all - it is miserable to be Brienne. Catelyn (and Brienne) are products of their culture, and have internalized their norms. Neither of them is exactly a proud feminist on a campaign against body image issues.

But it is unfortunate. Their society places a lot of value on a woman's beauty and Brienne suffered a lot for being ugly at that point, starting from the treatment she got from Red Ronnet to the mockery she endured in Renly's camp. Catelyn understood very well how others would treat Brienne and later that Renly would never return her feelings and she was sorry that the girl has to go through that, not because she values the beauty standards so much herself or compares herself to Brienne and thinks smugly that tee-hee, she's so much better looking, which is what that fan art is about. And she points out what beautiful features Brienne does have (her eyes) several times, never makes rude comments to her and cares enough to help her appearance when she makes sure the girl has both clothes that she's comfortable with (breeches and such) and ones that suit her station as a lady (dresses that fit her well). Compare that to Jaime, who both thinks Brienne is ugly and mocks her to her face, making comparisons with Cersei, "a real woman". Yet he doesn't get half the grief for it that Catelyn does for her reflection on Brienne's appearance. I love him and his interactions with Brienne, but damn.

Also, I think Datepalm mention the need to get away from Brienne being ugly because the artist of the piece you linked to said that she doesn't think Brienne is? I also happen to think that her description doesn't sound that awful and there are some people who have several of her features and are really beautiful (lol, see Anna Popplewell with her striking blue eyes, freckles all over and very full plump lips), but you just have to accept that she's not good or average looking, even though you don't have to think of her as a troll. It's the same for Tyrion. People always say that he would be said to be ugly in the time period just because he's a dwarf even if he's not ugly by our standards, there's almost no fan art that portrays him as grotesque-looking, they got Peter Dinklage to play him in the TV show.. :dunno:

1, Stannis/Jon -if those two were in the same room with a mule, the mule would be the least stubborn person there

definitively. I LOVE those two

Also, the wildlings. Every dialogue involving Mance or Tormund is awesome

The scene in ADWD (I think it was ADWD...) where Mel removes Mance's Rattleshirt glamour in Jon's presence, and Jon get's pissed, then he and Mance have kind of an "old friends/old enemies" back-and-forth.... I swear, HBO better not cut that from their show, dammit!

I really hope they get some one awesome to play Mance for the Jon/Mance interactions and he better be able to sing the Dornishman's Wife!!!

I was just reading Jamie's chapter where he talks to the Blackfish, and it is just too many good lines!

' "if you will not yield the castle, I must storm it. Hundreds will die"

"hundreds of mine. Thousands of yours" '

' ".. It stinks of Tywin Lannister." Jaime could not deny that.

"my father is dead as well."

"may the father judge him justly."

{Now there's an awful prospect}

They they both shine in that whole scene!

The Lannisters and The Greyjoys- such passionate familys!

When was the last time a Stark murdered one of his kin? Or had sex with his sister? or slept with his brother`s wife? (Starks just tend to inherent their dead brother`s girlfriends and live happily ever after. Or join NW)

Tyrion and pretty much anyone, the first scene with Jon Connington was good. Also like Jon and Stannis (for this reason alone I hope Stannis isn't dead, I really would like to see his reaction to finding out that R+L=J)

I liked the scene between Joffrey and Tywin as well, where Joffrey accused him of 'hiding underneath a rock' during robert's rebellion-probably his finest moment!

The scene where Margaery catches Cersei referring to Jaime when talking about Tommen's father (in AFFC, I believe), when they're arguing about who should teach Tommen jousting (Jaime or Loras). Cersei says that Tomen's father is a great tourney champion. Margaery, who of course knows that Tommen is really Jaime's son, wickedly asks Cersei to name some tourneys that Robert had participated in, nearly catching her in a lie. Cersei barely recovers, and says that Robert won the greatest torney of them all.... "Defeating Rhaegar on the Trident"..... or something like that....... Beautiful!!! :bs: :)

I liked the scene between Joffrey and Tywin as well, where Joffrey accused him of 'hiding underneath a rock' during robert's rebellion-probably his finest moment!

And that follows with Tywin sending "the king" to bed as he was just an annoying kid. I loved that part.

And that follows with Tywin sending "the king" to bed as he was just an annoying kid. I loved that part.

I was annoyed at the loss of both characters, not from a love of either, but because they were both larger than life characters. I laughed aloud at the thought of Joffrey instructing seasoned soldiers about the proper way to shoot a crossbow in the middle of a citywide siege.

Archived