Possible tWOW prologues.

sweet_cersei

I always thought it might open somewhere cold like Skagos or Winterfell, or possibly White Harbour. But now I'm starting to think, because of the book title and everything, that it might start with it snowing somewhere that doesn't usually get snow. We saw snow reach the riverlands in one of Jamie's chapters, but how far south will the winds of winter reach? Casterly Rock or King's Landing type latitude? Storm's End? Highgarden? Dorne? Depends on how bad a winter is coming I suppose. One thing's for sure, however far south the snows reach, each flake will carry a subtle reminder of the Stark words.

That would be nice. Just to add, it was snowing in KL in the epilogue, so if Martin wants to shock us, he'll show somewhere souther, like Highgarden.

No way man! I would be pissed if Benjen has been alive for all this time and his return would be in a prolouge where the pov dies every time!

Yes. Exactly. A reckoning must be made, important characters must meet their end and that prologue would set the tone for the entire book.

If GRRM continues with the prologue pattern, TWOW's prologue will be south of the Wall, set in a place we've never seen, the POV has some sort of maester connection, magic will be involved, and the manner of the POV's death will become a plot point later in story --probably Sansa's or Arya's story.

If GRRM continues with the prologue pattern, TWOW's prologue will be south of the Wall, set in a place we've never seen, the POV has some sort of maester connection, magic will be involved, and the manner of the POV's death will become a plot point later in story --probably Sansa's or Arya's story.

Following that logic, some good choices would be Willas Tyrell, Gerold Dayne or someone at Casterly Rock. But I still think Cotter Pyke or someone else at Hardhome is the most likely scenario.

As Loras Tyrell looks out the window on dragonstone he notices the first snow he has ever seen. He hears far off a voice his maester perhaps? As the shadow figure moved closer he recognized the bald headed shadowy figure, but he could not remember where. Hello Loras Tyrell the bald headed man said my name is Lord Varys, I am sorry I have to do this, but Queen Cersei needs to win her trial of faith, I need her in my game of Thrones only a little while longer. Loras Tyrell never saw the knife that closed his eyes forever.

Benjen is the only one I can think.

But given GRRMs use of random non important characters in some of the previous titles such as Pate it could easily be someone new....who witnesses events or serves to recall important events that are occurring right now in the Seven Kingdoms or over across the sea....

If I had a vote though in the matter I'd wish for someone other than Benjen. I'm not really attached to him as a character and I don't care what he's up to north of the wall at this moment. I get that The Others are a big threat and all but its so uninteresting to me when compared to all the war and political intrigue that's going no in Westeros....

Illyrio, being poisoned by Tyrion with an exquisite wine. And before he dies he spills the beans about Aegon in a fever.

or

Danerys, gang-raped by Jhaqo's Khalasar after Drogon has left her behind.

or

Jon, being stuck in Ghost seing his own funeral pyre.

or

Tyrion, accidentally stabbed in a brothel (I think I posted that one before).

or

Davos, stranded in Hardhome after searching for Rickon in vain on Skagos.

I reckon it will be a brand new character who ends up getting murdered by FM Arya whilst on her new apprenticeship. Perhaps the captain of the ship who took all the Wildling women and children from Hardhome.

I think that it will be very handy to know all of Varys' plots and intentions. We could learn all his networks of spies around Westeros and Essos (I'm sure he has spies in Oldtown, Greywater Watch, Bolton's army, Stannis' army, the Wall, etc.). I'd prefer the Howland Reed and the R+L=J theory as an epilogue.

I think most of you are reading far too much into this alternating pattern. The prologue should set the mood and themes for the rest of the book(though of course this isn't always true; one need only look at A Feast for Crows to see that), and seeing as it is called The Winds of Winter, the North would be the most ideal setting. Perhaps we could see Hardhome. Though I do think something along those lines would probably work best, I would like to see a prologue from the point of view of Aeron Damphair, summoning a kraken from the depths through some ancient Drowned Men ritual to kill Euron, perhaps giving himself as an offering to the beast. I sincerely doubt Martin would ever do something like this, but it would be interesting to see.

I think most of you are reading far too much into this alternating pattern. The prologue should set the mood and themes for the rest of the book(though of course this isn't always true; one need only look at A Feast for Crows to see that), and seeing as it is called The Winds of Winter, the North would be the most ideal setting. Perhaps we could see Hardhome. Though I do think something along those lines would probably work best, I would like to see a prologue from the point of view of Aeron Damphair, summoning a kraken from the depths through some ancient Drowned Men ritual to kill Euron, perhaps giving himself as an offering to the beast. I sincerely doubt Martin would ever do something like this, but it would be interesting to see.

Aeron is a POV character, so it's not happening.

It would also most likely remove a character before his narrative purpose has been fulfilled.

What if Benjen's purpose is to simply give the readers more information aobut The Others. It is believed he hid the cache of dragonglass Ghost found. Perhaps there are a few more things he can leave behind to help anyone who follows him.

Archived