Possible tWOW prologues.

sweet_cersei

With the title being The Winds of Winter I would think the prologue almost has to be north of the wall. A lot of ideas have benn thrown about, but let's be frank here. Most of the names are highly disposable characters, the equivalent of Yeoman Johnson in Star Trek- some poor schlub in a red shirt whose sole purpose is to die in the away mission. The PoV's should start to hurt. Therefore, I nominate Benjen Stark. Most believe he isn't dead, that he left the dragonglass in the black cloak for the Night's Watch to find, and he is doing recon on the white walkers.

This would be an epilogue worth reading.

The POV's are virtually always redshirts and minor characters, although they have been getting more important lately. I think we'll definitelly be getting someone in the south.

The POV's are virtually always redshirts and minor characters, although they have been getting more important lately. I think we'll definitelly be getting someone in the south.

GRRM stated that there will be no new POVs, do Prolouge/Epilouge POVs count? If so it will be a character that we have read before.

The prologue chapters have always played an important role in the book, regardless of where it is, and who it is rarely matters. In the first, we are introduced to the Others beyond the Wall and the threat they pose, underscoring that all the political stuff in the south is really nothing more than a game. In COTK, Cressen introduces us to a principle character, Stannis, and his sorcerous Melisandre, who will go on to play significant roles in the series. With Chett, ASOS begins the fall of the Night's Watch, the first line of defence against the Others, but ends with their timely salvation from Stannis. Unfortunately, AFFC has a much less effective prologue, which only really ties into what happens in Sam's final chapter and so far appears to be rather irrelevant. Finally, ADWD introduces us to warging which becomes the key to Jon's later 'death'.

Whatever prologue there is for TWOW must be important to the story of that book. It must provide insight into a key event later or character(s) that goes on to play a key role, or it must change the direction of a storyline. I would hope GRRM chooses a prologue for these reasons and not feel the need to become slave to precedent (however coincidental). To further the plot, it should really be connected with one of the existing storylines, preferrably one which we have not seen in a while (e.g. the Vale or Riverlands) or where events are clouded with mystery/distance. I really hope it's not just a tourist chapter on a new location or, worst, introduces a whole new storyline into the mix. It's too late for the Tyrells.

• 2 weeks later...

Well GRRM said that the others will have much bigger part in the next two books so maybe it will be Cotter Pyke at Eastwatch or Ser Denys Mallister at the Shadowtower fighting off wights and others. It would make since the others could storm either castle without destroying the wall if they attack Eastwatch from the sea and the Shadowtower threw the gorge but it would be very similar to ASOS beginning but even so it be pretty cool

I have a theory about Denys Mallister becoming the new Lord Commander of the Watch, so I doubt anything will happen to the Shadow Tower, but lots of things are taking place, for sure, at Eastwatch.

A wilding at Hardhome. Sets a creepy, scary tone for the rest of the book. It might also give us a better idea what the WWs and wights are up to (killing people to make more wights or scaring people out of their territory, taking newborn babies - Craster's sons - why?). Dead things in the sea need more explanation too.

Something just struck me: Benjen would the perfect prologue for A Dream of Spring.

We dont hear of him since the first book, and then, bam, everybody forgot him and he's the prologue in book 7 and dies alone in the Lands of Always Winter.

It would respect the north-south-north-south pattern. In my opinion the Maester pattern isn't quite obvious enough to form a proper pattern. I guess because there's no opposite half to it unlike with the north/south pattern. So say if it went like Faceless man/maester and back and forth that would be pretty obvious. But hey, it could take place from the POV of a maester accompanying them. Maybe he gets nicked by Obara's poison spear or something.

Hmn I don't think Will, Chett, or Varamyr were literate.

Where as Maesters are the closest that Westeros has to scientists, doctors, etc.

I think a Maester at a place we haven't seen yet, in the Reach, as it is taken by Euron, the Maester is then killed by Euron's Valyrian magic.

Someone suggested the Maester at House Redwyne.

Osha would make for a damn cool POV chapter but I'm worried that the North-South of the Wall thing is an actual theory. But we'd get to see more of Rickon and Davos and actually feel sad when she dies, at least more sad than I've felt for any other Prologue character (barring Cressen). Would Osha be too major of a character though? We haven't seen her since ACoK.

It wont be Osha: GRRM said that when he will brought her back, he'll have Natalia Tena in mind, and I dont think he's planning to bring her back just for a prologue.

But I'm gonna stick with my theory of a Benjen prologue for ADOS.

I always thought it might open somewhere cold like Skagos or Winterfell, or possibly White Harbour. But now I'm starting to think, because of the book title and everything, that it might start with it snowing somewhere that doesn't usually get snow. We saw snow reach the riverlands in one of Jamie's chapters, but how far south will the winds of winter reach? Casterly Rock or King's Landing type latitude? Storm's End? Highgarden? Dorne? Depends on how bad a winter is coming I suppose. One thing's for sure, however far south the snows reach, each flake will carry a subtle reminder of the Stark words.

But my favourite suggestion here is Valyria for sure. As well as the north of the wall/ south of the wall sequencing, there is also an ice and fire sequence, or an Others/Dragon themed sequence. Even number books - the comet at Dragonstone and the light in the citadel at Old Town - relate to the return of Dragons. Wouldn't smouldering Valyria fit perfectly? As well as being just awesome.

Archived