Is Renly really gay?

daggers

So I was trolling the internet as usual, looking at GOT stuff and came across this description "

British actor

Gethin Anthony

, who stars as a gay character on HBO’s hit, Emmy nominated show

Game of Thrones"

I know he always is the nicest to dress in court and he never took Margerys maidenhood plus comments that he would never.....but to totally represent him on the show as a gay character??? I mean he did have those couple scenes with Loras on the show but is he totally out of the closet???

Yes hes gay. GRRM confirmed it on multiple occasions. He's obviously in the closet as I'm not sure he would be looked favorably upon.

I dunno about that, I was under the impression that so long as a lord produced heirs, whether he liked women, men, boys or any combination thereof was largely inconsequential, at least in contrast to, say, actively outing and executing them.

The show takes it over the top

There are a few alludes to it in AGoT but you never actually see it.

Well in the books we had a limited POV, the people who met Renly didn't know and werent told. In the show we have to actually see it, because it is going to be important.

I dunno about that, I was under the impression that so long as a lord produced heirs, whether he liked women, men, boys or any combination thereof was largely inconsequential, at least in contrast to, say, actively outing and executing them.

There is a wide gap between largely inconsequential and outing and executing. It exists somewhere in the middle there. Like fathering a bastard it would have an effect on your reputation, how much depends on the person judging you. I think in AGoT which I'm currently reading Ned disparages someone by saying they like boys (as an insult, not stating they're homosexual) and Cat scolds him for such talk which could get him in trouble. So it's clearly bad to go around talking about people that way.

Even if readers missed Renly's preference for the rougher gender in the first two books, the alliance between the Lannisters and the Tyrells made it abundantly clear. The alliance depended on a marriage between Maergary and Joffrey and that depended on whether or not Marg was still a maid. They didn't care about her maidenhead because virgins are so cool. It was to eliminate any idea that she could be carrying Renly's heir. The Lannisters accept that her marriage with Renly wasn't consummated and do not even require proof from a Septa or a maester because it's known amongst the royals that Renly loves the men, and that Renly especially loves Loras. If Marg had been married to Stannis, the Lannisters would not have been so quick to believe the Tyrells about her virginity. Their easy acceptance that her hymen was still intact was a very clear message from GRRM saying, "Yes, you guessed right. Renly is pretty gay and it's not such a secret."

My question is more along the lines of, was Renly so gay that he never actually consummated with Magery? That was the story, at least to get them in with the Lannisters, but I just have trouble believing it.

Was her maidenhead ever actually confirmed by a maester?

They said he was too drunk to consumate it, right? I can't remember. I think I just read a part of Crows where someone mentions their wedding night, but I'm pretty sure I remember a boner being described too.

There is a wide gap between largely inconsequential and outing and executing.

Sure, but within the context of, say, European history where homosexuality was considered a sin punishable by death I think Westeros is fairly lax in this department as I am not aware that the Faith of the Seven has strong words of condemnation with regards to the subject matter. I'm not sure how homosexuality was viewed within the nobility in Medieval times, maybe it was more of a akin to Westeros's attitude (I have no idea TBH).

There is a wide gap between largely inconsequential and outing and executing. It exists somewhere in the middle there. Like fathering a bastard it would have an effect on your reputation, how much depends on the person judging you. I think in AGoT which I'm currently reading Ned disparages someone by saying they like boys (as an insult, not stating they're homosexual) and Cat scolds him for such talk which could get him in trouble. So it's clearly bad to go around talking about people that way.

Yeah, there's certainly no 'gay pride' in Westeros. However the King's brother and a knight with the satus of Loras can get away with a bit more than most nobles.

My question is more along the lines of, was Renly so gay that he never actually consummated with Magery? That was the story, at least to get them in with the Lannisters, but I just have trouble believing it.

Was her maidenhead ever actually confirmed by a maester?

Quite the opposite, her maidenhead was said to be broken by a Septa. Though it's left up in their air when Cersei says it can be broken by horse riding. Loras and Margaery were very close so I'd say it's probable Renly never had sex with Margaery as Loras would have told her that he was gay.

They said he was too drunk to consumate it, right? I can't remember. I think I just read a part of Crows where someone mentions their wedding night, but I'm pretty sure I remember a boner being described too.

Taena told Cersei Renly had a boner during his stripping at the wedding. She might've lied. Peronally I think the Tyrells lied that Margaery was still a virgin so the Joffrey Margaery wedding can happen faster and since they had a huge army, nobody was likely to question them.

Archived