[Book/TV Spoilers] Did this happen in the book.

Does it get her away from Xaro? I'm sorry, but he is boring me to absolute tears. Did you know he is the richest man in Qarth?

No, where did you hear that? That might be the replacement for "It is known".

It's a minor change. She'll go to the House of the Undying, see strange things, get her dragons back, and burn the place down. Same as the book basically. And it doesn't make any sense that no one stole her dragons in the book.

Does it get her away from Xaro? I'm sorry, but he is boring me to absolute tears. Did you know he is the richest man in Qarth?

LMFAO about this post. Xaro was rather annoying and I was aggitated at about the 3rd time he mentioned he was the richest man in Qarth.

LMFAO about this post. Xaro was rather annoying and I was aggitated at about the 3rd time he mentioned he was the richest man in Qarth.

Agreed.

The whole Qarth experience is a terribly boring yet necessary.......wait..... is it really necessary?

Besides the House of the Undying why was it necessary for the Khalassar to go there in the TV series.

Agreed.

The whole Qarth experience is a terribly boring yet necessary.......wait..... is it really necessary?

Besides the House of the Undying why was it necessary for the Khalassar to go there in the TV series.

Because it happened in the books; which is ironic when you consider how many people are griping that the show has "deviated so far from the books it's not even ASOIAF anymore!!!!!one!".

Agreed.

Can't that be asked of a lot of things? Basically you're saying "aside from the plot development that happens there, why go there?"

Because it happened in the books; which is ironic when you consider how many people are griping that the show has "deviated so far from the books it's not even ASOIAF anymore!!!!!one!".

Not sure how less than half a dozen saying that makes it ironic, because that is all I have seen saying anything like that.

Qarth is where Dany meets Arstan Whitebeard. It's where Illyrio sends her ships, in addition to the HOTU stuff.

I can live with so many of the changes to speed the story along but, I'm having a hard time with dragon napping. :ack:

I don't have an issue w/these changes, but am really wondering how they'll get her back on track. I mean she'll go to the THOTU next, but w/her small khalasar she's in even more dire straits than in the book, not that thry were doing much for her though.

It didn't happen in the books and I was not a fan of it when I saw it. I believe there are other things they could've written for Dany to do besides throw in unnecessary action.

For instance, more scenes like the one with the Spice King/Lord/Guy. Most people probably think Dany will just ride to Westeros on one of her Dragons, burn everyone and "win" which is so not what the series is like or about. There should be scenes with her discussing what her plans are, how is she going to get to Westeros, where will she find an army, what House will rally to her side and which ones will not when she gets there, how long before her dragons are battle ready. The sort of Political machinations that the books are famous for and the show is not (as of late.)

Instead we get stupid parties, the horribly annoying Xaro (was he this annoying in the book? I don't think so . . .), and now Pree (who else would it be?) stealing her dragons.

At this point it is a safe rule that if you have to ask that question then it didn't happen in the books.

Not quite... If I had a penny for every time someone stated incorrectly that something is in the book, I'd have quite the penny collection. People don't know the books half as well as they think.

In the books the dragons were guarded by XXDs household staff, Drogo's bloodriders and Jorah.

In the TV series such precautions were well, useless.

I prefer GRRMs approach

Funniest part is that the thief took them from one cage and put them in the exact same type of cage-gee that was useful.

I was sure that one of the handmaidens died out in the big red desert place way before Qarth in the book. I was very surprised to see how long they all lasted. At least now the numbers are all balanced up. Although I'm sure at one point in the show, Dany had three handmaidens and one just sort of disappeared into thin air. Just like she had three in the books and one died on the way to Qarth.

I was sure Rodrick Cassel died later in the book as well. It's been so long since I read ACOK that now I'm not sure which bits are made up and which bits I've just forgotten about.

The whole sojourn in Qarth was unnecessary in ACoK. I wish Dany would have gone straight to Astapor at this point. The House of the Undying scene is important but this could have taken place in Astapor or even Meereen.

Kudos to the show for taking this stinker of a storyline and injecting some much needed excitement to it. GRRM, while a brilliant writer, is not without faults. The Qarth storyline being one of them.

Archived