Favourite Characters and Why?

Grimwolfe

(yeah yeah some say he's a Mary Sue but I don't think so)

The term "Mary Sue" is the ultimate whore of the English language. It means less than nothing anymore, and anyone who invokes it is no more worthy of being listened to than someone who goes around labeling people "Hitler."

I'm not that into Jon myself (I just find his chapters rather dull), but I don't dislike him as such. And he's certainly not a Mary Sue, nor is anyone else in the series.

Littlefinger. I love how he doesn't rely on military might to win, he does it by plotting and scheming. He is the person I feel I can relate to most and want to be like most.

Honoralbe mentions:

Davos Seaworth- A narrow second here. Simply love him.

Stannis Baratheon- The last Kings left that I like

Eddard Stark- Goes without Saying

Robb Stark- Was my Favourite King

Maester Luwin- Very wise and kind

Rodrik Cassel- Honorable and generally nice man.

Tyrion Lannister-Very likable character

Varys- Somewhat similar to Littlefinger, though more evil.

Jorah Mormont- Liked him more in the TV Show than in the books. Seems like a reliable man despite his past crimer

Barristan Selmy- Pretty much similar to Ser Jorah

The term "Mary Sue" is the ultimate whore of the English language. It means less than nothing anymore, and anyone who invokes it is no more worthy of being listened to than someone who goes around labeling people "Hitler." I'm not that into Jon myself (I just find his chapters rather dull), but I don't dislike him as such. And he's certainly not a Mary Sue, nor is anyone else in the series.

Heh, actually I just caught that term on this forum, and I see it used all the time to describe him as someone who got things handed to him easily, but I agree, noone in this series has had it easy, not even Dany, who might be the closest to the meaning of that term, but again, that's just my opinion as someone who doesn't like Dany :P

I think most people are fans of the more heroic and virtuous characters such as Jon Snow, Arya, etc.

However my favourite character is an underrated one - Berric Dondarrion.

I thought he was a fascinating character. Made out to be somewhat of a douche in his earlier days, after dieing and being ressurected by Thoros of Myr, he becomes an absolute badass. Starting the BWB with Thoros and looking after the smallfolk, getting into all sorts of trouble and making Tywin Lannister himself act to stop him. I think the way he allowed the Hound a trial by combat was fair/just and the way he came back to life after losing was epic.

I just really wish he had not been killed off, especially offscreen. I just felt like he had so much more to offer as a character and to the story. I loved the way that he and Thoros seemed to find themselves with the BWB and started to make something of their lives instead of being selfish and self-obsessed.

I also think the way he supposedly gave up his life to allow Lady Stonheart to live was really heroic.

As a result, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the GoT producers handle him in Season 3.

I can only pick five of my favourite.

#1 Davos Seaworth. Davos is the man. Intelligent, honourable, humble, he loves the hell out of his family, he's loyal to his king and he doesn't, like many other characters, just accept the crappiness of those around him, he tries to make things better.

#2 Arya Stark. Brave, quick and smart, Arya is one hell of a survivor. There's something about Arya more than a lot of other characters that really captures me based on her mannerisms, her expressions and endurance. Gotta live when she gets her revenge on the Tickler.

#3 Brienne. I like how Brienne is the perfect imperfect character, and how, despite being so atypical to a conventional knight, she better than anybody else I can think of in the series embodies the true knight. I also like someone who isn't going to take shit from anyone simply because society tells her that she belongs in the home.

#4 Tyrion. Not as morally perfect as my other choices (not at all in fact, he's kind of a monster), but it's difficult for me to hate someone so witty and clever.

#5 Eddard Stark. Tywin Lannister was obsessed with his family's legacy, but it looks like in the long run, the Starks will be remembered favourably by their bannermen, and the Lannisters will be hated enemies of almost everyone in Westeros. Ned Stark has a lot to do with this.

Jaime Lannister - One of the characters who undergoes the most development. I don't really see his arc as a "redemption" one though, but more like a "redefinition" one, which is slightly different.

Catelyn Stark - Incredibly tragic story and one of the strongest characters in the series IMO. And all the hate that I see directed towards her only makes me love her more.

Theon Greyjoy - I find his story pretty similar to Jaime's, so it's not surprising that he'd be among my favourites as well.

Brienne of Tarth - Everything that a knight should be, one of the best people in Westeros right now.

Davos Seaworth - Same as Brienne, one of the best people in Westeros, which I find doubly impressive considering his piss-poor background.

Heh, it just occurs to me that all my favourite characters have been maimed in some way : Jaime's hand, Catelyn's face (and everything else), Theon's everything, Brienne's cheek, Davos' hand. Apparently I have a weakness for broken things too.

Arya - she's just amazing. She's had a tough life and is a tough kid, but is kind of vulnerable too.

She's quite funny too.

Jon Snow - proved to be quite an enlightened and thoughtful leader. Has an admiral ability to always try and do the right thing

Jorah Mormont - a capable man with an incredible ability to self destruct. An Interesting character

Roose Bolton - an interesting and audacious villain despite being so soft spoken and calm. And he has to put up with Ramsay for a son

Tyrion-for keeping his Imphand strong!

Dolorous Edd-for his wry wit

Jorah-for loving the unattainable

Cersei-for thinking she is better at playing the game than she really is

THe Greatjon-for laughing after having his fingers bit off bya direwolf

Blackfish-for outstanding competence

Arya-cause ninjas rule

Littlefinger-points taken away for being played by the Mayor of Baltimore

Saladhor Saan-for knowing the queen willwant to bang him

Hodor-"Hodor"

Lord Frey-90 yr old pimp

Jaime Lannister is at the top, no question. His story has spoken to me more than any other since day one.

Others include Theon, Roose, Arya, Stannis, Sandor, Sansa, Varys, Cersei, Tyrion, Mance, Davos, Melisandre, Barristan, Loras, Tywin...

Oberyn Martell, recently read over Tyrion's chapters again and this guy is just all round brilliance.

Jaime Lannister, his chapters are brilliant and I love the glimpse into his past with Rhaegar and the Kingsguard

Theon Greyjoy, fascinating and very troubled story. Very understandable and I feel bad for him all the way.

Roose Bolton, a northern Tywin Lannister and he hates having Ramsay as his son.

Daenerys Targaryen

Aemon Targaryen

Jon Snow

Tormund Giantsbane

Mance Rayder

Edmure Tully

Brynden Tully

Arianne Martell

Renly Baratheon

Eddard Stark

Sansa Stark

1: Cat Stark

2: Cat Stark

3-10: Cat stark

And the rest, Ned (though that is partly because I now see Sean Bean whenever I think of him. Makes me happy).

Littlefinger, magnificent bastard.

Davos. Just love him

Sansa and arya for very different reasons.

Jorah, Barriston Selmy, Arthur Dayne seemed very cool

Tyrion

wyman Manderely

Doran Martell

tywin

sand snakes collective

1: Cat Stark

2: Cat Stark

3-10: Cat stark

This had to be said, I really like her character too, that is, I liked her when this shadow was still Cat. But I think turning her into a kind of zombie has been a waste of plotline and a lost opportunity in describing true human emotions about revenge, hatred and fury. I would have accepted if she had turned into a vengeful, cruel and monstrous outlaw maybe but someone who is able to react still as human being.

Characters I Love:

Dany: For her entire character arc minus a few weeks in Mereen

Arya: I like her personality and mental strength

The Hound: For his complexity and badassery

Selmy: For his morals and toughness

The Shavepat: For his cunning and loyalty to Dany

Asha Greyjoy: For her wits, depth, and occasional compassion

Euron Greyjoy: Because pirates are awesome and he is the most awesome pirate

Gendry: Because out of everyone in the books, he seems the closest to a real person

Characters I Hate:

Sam: He's an obnoxious bumbling teddy bear

Sansa: She does nothing for six books but smile and nod

Darrio: Because no woman should find that guy attractive

Brienne: She's the ultimate sad sack - a mule who accepts being kicked over and over and over again

Littlefinger: His omniscience is annoying and unrealistic

Dany's Husband: Because he's a cardboard character with an unpronounceable name

Davos: He's a good guy but his constant handwringing annoys me

Qyburn: He just disturbs me and I find it odd that Kevan / Pycelle didn't get rid of him

This had to be said, I really like her character too, that is, I liked her when this shadow was still Cat. But I think turning her into a kind of zombie has been a waste of plotline and a lost opportunity in describing true human emotions about revenge, hatred and fury. I would have accepted if she had turned into a vengeful, cruel and monstrous outlaw maybe but someone who is able to react still as human being.
I love Cat, as you will see shortly in my list. Cat schooling Ned in politics in the beggining of AGOT, and was great for the rest of the book. In ACOK Cat's even more phenomenal, she tried to make Westeros a democracy but Renly fucked it up. Everything out of her mouth was witty and straight to the point, a real politician for the good guys, even though she is always so sad. When I saw her at the end of ASOS/AFFC my jaw dropped! She is so cool, wild'n out like that killing Freys, Lannisters and sympathisers with out caring about anything else, like human emotions. However this is clearly not true becasue Brienne is alive, thusly adding to the greatness of Cat Tully dead or alive

5. Cat Tully

4. Sansa Stark, she is going to be everything like Cat except younger and not a zombie. When Lysa was trying to throw her off the moondoor my heart was pounding.

3. Dany Targ, She was far from my third favorite, but Dany haters showed me her true greatness. The last hope of a supernatural dynasty, who birthed dragons after centuries of extencion and disbelief. She conquered Slaver's bay in a matter of weeks while flirting her way through the whole time. If you tell her she has a gentle heart she takes it as a grave insult, although it's true she is clearly a good person. And clearly the blood of the dragon who doesn't forgive a whole continent for the death of her tyrant father, just like she won't forgive any slavers or slaver sympathisers. Then also she is clearly crazy seeing visions and talking to pyrimids like she's a godess, but if the visions all come true, then mayhaps khalessi really is a godess

2. Ramsay Snow, From Darth Vader to the fucking Devil, I have never heard of a villan like this. Who takes Hornwood lands, gives Rodrick a hand shake, plays Theon like a lute, etc. Then he got the bitches that are trained to kill wolves and rape theon, he flays girls once he hunts them but he does this all in a sort of classy way. The hunt is like the hunts of old, and he flays to skinchange and has bitches with girl names like there wargs, he's so intresting! But he gave a bad name to Arya Stark, so he has to die

1. The Imp. Came into this world killing his mother, this was never forgivin by anyone. However he fights for his family all the time, even giving up his honor in the Ned Stark bones give a way. He is portrayed as a monster and a threat by everyone, despite saving kingslanding. A hopless romantic who harbors his vengance, quick to make friends and even quicker to make enemies. His sense of humor is staggering and he never takes a smile off of his face. I think my favorite part of Tyrion is his ignorance, everything in ASOIAF happend because he wanted to "Take a piss off the edge of the world" which is such a sublime statement on so many levals. I don't know how the Imp's story ends, but as of now he's my favorite character in fiction

POVs

Arya Stark - Just awesome. The cutest little creature, especially when calling Gendry stupid and trying to kick his ass... only to get more angry because it doesn't hurt him. Yet at the same time she's a silent assassin. If she wants, she can be the queen of modesty...

Bran Stark - I like the warging stuff. His relationship with Meera is fun to read too. Story of a little boy, from an excellent climber to a crippled boy. From a crippled boy to one of the brightest people in the world. Almost a man grown... at the age of 10...

Sansa Stark - Little girl, loses everyone and everything except her self, cannot trust anyone and is being beaten by kings guard. Still she's nice to everyone. What can I say, she truly has a heart of gold.

Theon Greyjoy - You have to remember your name. This characters arc is just something else. I can't say I really liked him until I felt sorry for him.

Tyrion Lannister - Entertainer.

NonPOVs

Meera

Jaqen

Syrio

Varys

Ned Stark: Honorable, just, a true Stark

Robb Stark: His Father's Son

Jon Snow: His Father's son part 2 (as long as he is Ned's)

Davos Seaworth: The most honest man in the Realm.

Barristan Selmy: A True Knight

Sandor Clegane: He will be a true knight by the end I think.

I don't know about you, but I read fantasy for the magic, so my favorites are:

Dany's dragons

Dany

Bran

Euron Crow's Eye

Arya

Jon Snow

Melisandre

Honorable Mentions to: Marwyn the Mage, Qyburn and Aeron Damphair

Archived