What to read while we wait?

They Die Too

I still have three books waiting to be read. 'Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close', 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'The boy in the striped Pyjamas'. Not really thick books who are difficult to read, so I'll be done with them soon enough.

Have you already read the Lord of the Rings-trilogy? The Hunger Games-trilogy?

I am waiting for the westeros mod for Medieval 2 total war, it will be epic. And after that season 3 of the series is garantueed to keep me busy but I don't think those two things can completely compensate no ASOIAF untill 2016!!!!!

The Epic of Gilgamesh

Aristotle: Complete works

The Bible (yes, all of it)

Aesop: Complete Fables

Homer: Iliad & Odyssey

Sun Tzu: The Art of War

Herodotus: Histories

Thucidides: The Peloponnesian War

Aristophanes: Complete Plays

Thucidides: Complete Plays

Euripides: Complete Plays

Sophocles: Complete Plays

Aeschylus: Complete Plays

Virgil: Aeneid, etc.

Plutarch: Lives

Tacitus: Germania

Josephus: Complete Works (Jewish War, Life, Antiquities, Against Apion).

Suetonius: 12 Caesars

Julius Caesar, et al. (Gallic Wars, etc).

Augustine of Hippo: Confessions, On Christian Doctrine, City of God

The Koran/Qu'ran

Bede: Ecclesiastiacl History of the English People.

Annales Cambriae

Beowulf

Tale of Genji

Geoffrey of Monmouth: History of the Kings of Britain

Mabinogion

Poetic Edda

Song of the Nibelungs

Chretien du Troyes: Percival, The Story of the Grail

Prose Lancelot / Vulgate Cycle

Snorri Sturlesson: Prose Edda

Chaucer: Canterbury Tales, Troilus & Crisede

Gawaine and the Green Knight

Thomas Mallory: La Morte D'Arthur

William Shakespear: Complete Plays

These books are both a blessing and a curse, I've found that since reading ASOIAF nothing else seems good. I'll go to the book store and just stare at the books and not see anything good, I just can't find anything else that comes even close to matching ASOIAF.

You can try Russian Lit. It's depressing and depending on the book you have to work hard to get through it but it's ultimately worth it.

I was reading The Book of Disquiet but took a break. I was planning on trying The Tropic of Cancer after that.

Books I like are The Book Thief, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Franny and Zooey, The Road. Or read complete poems by certain poets like Anne Sexton, Pablo Neruda, etc.

I didn't get the hoopla but you can try The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Master and Margarita, and L'Étranger.

EDIT: I forgot for pure comedy I like anything by David Sedaris.

I also like reading Hans Christian Anderson and The Brother's Grimm stories. & Alice in Wonderland.

I'm just about to finish ADWD so after that I shall be going back and finishing Tad Williams' "Shadowmarch" - which bears a fair few resemblances to A Song Of Ice and Fire, but then I guess Tad Williams' Of Memory Sorrow and Thorn (which I HIGHLY recommend if you haven't read it yet) was an inspiration for Martin to write it in the first place. To be honest I prefer Williams' work because I find it more focused than GrrM - very similar at times but he doesn't feel the need for several dozen POV characters to all have their own story arc.

Also although it's in the realm of Sci Fi I'd recommend Iain M. Banks' work - his latest novel Surface Detail is fantastic.

I'm also reading The Left Hand of God books by Paul Hoffman but I'll be honest with you, I think they're very poorly written.

Terry Pratchett's always good as well, I believe he has a new book out soon so I'll be getting that. He's almost the opposite of Martin in that even with Alzheimers he manages to churn out an absolute belter or two every single year.

I think I'll be going back to Jeff Somers' books on the character Avery Cates - I got this book called The Electric Church for like £1 at a bargain book store and although at first I hated the writing style it really grew on me as something unique - the relentless pace of the whole thing is almost like reading a comic.

I've been on a YA kick of late and just read the Patrick Ness' Chaos Walking Trilogy... I very much enjoyed that! I've also started the Dread Empire series by Walter Williams... starts off a bit slowish but gets going towards the end... looking forward to the next one.

Just read Neil Gaiman's American Gods... that was really good.

I'm also reading the Atremis Fowl series... a bit annoying in the smart assed-ness nature of the books... but fun to read (another nod to my YA obsession right now)

Archived