Are the Greyjoy's the dumbest family in history?

GarthKITN

Going through the series again, it's pretty stunning how stupid the entire Greyjoy family is. Balon attempts two rebellions he must know he has zero chance of actually sustaining. On top of that he goes against the only possible potential ally he could have in Robb, and therefore throwing away his chance of actually being a king. Theon betrays the only friend and family he's ever had, and who actually love him like a brother, to attempt to please a father and family who hates him by taking a castle he has less than zero chance of holding. All that served to do is piss people off. The Damphair is just nuts. Euron and Victarion both think they have a realistic shot at the Iron Throne, which is just completely ridiculous, and think the key to doing that is to leave their home totally unprotected (thus not learning the exact same lesson Robb learned the hard way), sail halfway around the world on a rumor that three baby dragons exist and attempt to kidnap a Queen with 8500 of the finest foot in the world and Barriston the Bold guarding her.

The only remotely intelligent one is Asha, who seeks to align with the North and consolidate what power the Iron Islands actually does have. But even she can't recognize how dumb Victarion is and ally with him.

It just boggles the mind how idiotic these people are, and how they just wrench things for Robb through their stupidity.

They're competing real hard for the title. Really, they're just refusing to compete in a sophisticated way like the other families. They don't trust nobody and want no partners so they go it alone, and they're only able to go so far with that tactic. Which is why Euron is a dangerous upgrade for them into the realm of deeper plotting and better timing. The Ironborn always beat themselves though. Soon they'll be fighting each other.

Balon was stupid yes, but you can't use his dumb decisions to make a judgement of the entire family. Plus who is going to take Pyke when the Greyjoys are away when the only other fleet in Westeros belongs to the Redwynes and they are already tangled up at Dragonstone/defending the Reach?

I really don't like most of the Greyjoys but I'm very, very fond of Asha and she is definitely a goon'un in my books. I also don't think Theon is stupid, just...ridiculously tragic and just...why Theon why :crying: :crying:

Victarion is probably the stupidest character on par with Belwas, but I actually am strangely fond of Belwas.

Balon made some stupid decisions, but I don't know if I'd say he was a stupid person.

The only one I'd really, truly consider ridiculously stupid is Vic.

UGH. I hate that man! :devil:

Balon was stupid yes, but you can't use his dumb decisions to make a judgement of the entire family. Plus who is going to take Pyke when the Greyjoys are away when the only other fleet in Westeros belongs to the Redwynes and they are already tangled up at Dragonstone/defending the Reach?

That's why I provided examples of the whole family :)

That's why I provided examples of the whole family :)

Euron/Victarion aren't planning on defeating Dany, they plan on allying with her. Considering their lack of options otherwise, not the craziest thing to do. The Damphair is crazy sure, but stupid?

Yes. That is the jist of it. They are stupid and I think everyone will die but Theon and he will maybe bring the Greyjoys back from the brink of extinction... Or finally die because I cannot read another sentence that goes like this "Reek, it rhymes with leak". So annoying.

Yes. That is the jist of it. They are stupid and I think everyone will die but Theon and he will maybe bring the Greyjoys back from the brink of extinction... Or finally die because I cannot read another sentence that goes like this "Reek, it rhymes with leak". So annoying.

IF he is the only one that lives that will do him no good as he has been castrated by Ramsay.

Most of them have made really dumb decisions, but I honestly wouldn't count Theon as one of the dumbest ones of the House... But then again, I view characters from a more emotional light, and when you really look at the life Theon's had, and how heirs are treated in most of Westeros vs. how he's treated by his father, it makes sense that he'd take over Winterfell to (in his mind) win the respect of his family.

Archived