[Book Spoilers] Season 3 Finale?

mystikherb

Two things that I'm certain won't happen till next season are:

-Arya & the Hound meeting Polliver at the Inn.

-Cat's corpse getting the kiss of life.

Why? It's simple: IT'S TOO EARLY. All that happens later on in the book. It's just too early for that. Before that we need to see Arya having "dreams" of Nymeria finding her mother's body, etc. i hope we can see that in this final.

About the need of having a happier note to finish the season, I disagree. If TPTB had wanted to have that, they'd opted to cover a bigger chunk of the book in this season.

Well you're clearly in the minority of this site on that opinion (at least of UnCat). Why do you think they included the Inn at Crossroads in the opening then? True, it may just be included randomly, but still provokes some thought.

And they've already stated in a couple interviews that they will have an uplifting end to the season.

Well you're clearly in the minority of this site on that opinion (at least of UnCat). Why do you think they included the Inn at Crossroads in the opening then? True, it may just be included randomly, but still provokes some thought.

And they've already stated in a couple interviews that they will have an uplifting end to the season.

Exactly, why would it be too soon? It is how the book ended, and it ended brilliantly. If the season ends with UnCat it will end brilliantly too, it will give people something to grin about after what happened in the RW

I get the feeling Coldhands would be a fairly crap final scene, particularly for non-readers.

It has to be Stoneheart. I might be mistaken but doesn't the actual revival happen 'off-screen' in the book? The prologue is simply her appearing before Merrett Frey after she has already been alive for some time. No reason not to make this the season ending scene.

Joffrey dying in some non-PW setting would be the second most likely option but is still extremely unlikely.

IMO, they should just follow the Epilogue of ASOS, and have Merrett, or whichever Frey they use, pissing himself as Lady Stoneheart approaches him, at the end. The explanation for her resurrection can be left to the next season.

How can the season finale top last episode? The only part of the preview that interests me is the aftermath of the Red Wedding. But if some rumors are true about Coldhands and Lady Stoneheart appearing, then I'll change my mind about the finale being lackluster.

Based on the way the show is laid out, the season finale is never really supposed to "top" episode 9 in terms of drama, twists & emotional impact but rather compliment it with some degree of resolution/anticipation for the next season. That said if some of the stories aren't written too thin then I think it could certainly be another top, top episode but can't realistically top last week (overall rated the best of the entire series by fans on imdb which has a mixture of your book people, casual viewers, film/writing nerds etc. so that's probably the most accurate representation)

I do think they'll close it out with UnCat but it's a tough scene - very little room for error with these kinds of things without it coming off 'too' unnatural or contrived. Beric & Thoros have been pretty fantastic on screen together so think they could carry a scene like this without the dialogue coming off as cheesy (there will likely be some reference from Beric about the conversation with Arya/Thoros I'm sure but he also needs to convey some sympathy to Arya because she obviously (from his reactions via body language/facial expressions) had some kind of impact on him)

The introduction of Coldhands would be awful from a dramaturgical point of view, since that'd mean to introduce even more questions and mysteries which will not be revealed in the next season, maybe not even in the season after that. Don't let this show turn into LOST, we all know how that went down in the end. The importance of Coldhands isn't immediately accessible for non-readers and he will only look like a bad deus ex machina.

For the same reasons I find it awful that the Purple Wedding will be in S4, if they don't make Joffrey die anyways on this sunday. You shouldn't introduce the plan to wed on June 2012 (end of S2) and make it happen in April 2014 (S4). Is it really enjoyable for viewers to wait almost two entire years for it, especially when the non-bookreaders don't even see what's so special about it? That would just feel like slow & lazy storytelling.

The introduction of Coldhands would be awful from a dramaturgical point of view, since that'd mean to introduce even more questions and mysteries which will not be revealed in the next season, maybe not even in the season after that. Don't let this show turn into LOST, we all know how that went down in the end. The importance of Coldhands isn't immediately accessible for non-readers and he will only look like a bad deus ex machina.

For the same reasons I find it awful that the Purple Wedding will be in S4, if they don't make Joffrey die anyways on this sunday. You shouldn't introduce the plan to wed on June 2012 (end of S2) and make it happen in April 2014 (S4). Is it really enjoyable for viewers to wait almost two entire years for it, especially when the non-bookreaders don't even see what's so special about it? That would just feel like slow & lazy storytelling.

Uh... Coldhands coming in will be NOTHING like Lost. Let me reiterate. GOT IS NOT LIKE LOST. IT WILL NOT BE LIKE LOST. JUST BECAUSE THERE IS SOMETHING UNKNOWN DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL BE LIKE LOST. That's the most ridiculous assumption I've ever heard. It may not be the most effective ending moment they could use, but come on. The point of Coldhands is you don't know who he is. I can't even think of how to explain the difference between that and Lost because the comparison is silly.

However, I do somewhat agree with you about the PW. I wish they had written it into this season, honestly. Oh well.

Coldhands might be a very good first episode, to catch people's attention. I think it is too soon to include him in season 3 because we are still waiting to hear the Rat Cook story and to see Sam go up the well, only after that does he explain what happened to him beyond the wall, and who is waiting for Bran in the other side.

I think the PW would be too soon too because we already had a very bloody ending to the season, the PW would be cramming too much death into one season, and they should space out such important events well enough so that some seasons don't seem too void of major deaths.

Speaking of major deaths, when do you think we will see Tywin Lannister sitting on his 'throne'?

Yeah I was thinking next season too, and towards the end would give non readers a nice shocker :-) / anxiety attack to see what will happen to Tyrion in season 5

Well it's seeming more and more likely that they'll use UnCat this season, so they're gonna need something big to leave next season off on- plus that's basically the big ending of ASOS (apart from UnCat). I'm extremely excited to see that scene, though. It's gonna be awesome.

Well it's seeming more and more likely that they'll use UnCat this season, so they're gonna need something big to leave next season off on- plus that's basically the big ending of ASOS (apart from UnCat). I'm extremely excited to see that scene, though. It's gonna be awesome.

Yes... makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, except for the part where Tyrion and Jaime have their last conversation, that left me a bit sad.

Hi, this is my first post. My 2 cents on UnCat. I think it is the resurrection is the best way to end this season. It gives some hope for Stark supporters and fits chronologically even if the books reveal was much later. The show doesn't do flashbacks so they won't show the resurrection later. Also I think it fits emotionally. I have seen many people write that unsullied won't have enough time to absorb the impact of her death, but with this book being split across 2 seasons you either have to wait 1 week emotionally to stew in red wedding frustration or a year+ to get the resurrection. I think most of us read the book in closer to 1 week than 1 year, so emotionally it is still about the right amount of time too.

Yes... makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, except for the part where Tyrion and Jaime have their last conversation, that left me a bit sad.

Actually, I think the other big ending in the Eyrie would be an even greater finale. Tyrion vs Tywin could be the big moment of the season, in episode 9 and the battle of the wall could occur either in episode 9 or even earlier, to give more time for John to be named the LC.

Actually, I think the other big ending in the Eyrie would be an even greater finale. Tyrion vs Tywin could be the big moment of the season, in episode 9 and the battle of the wall could occur either in episode 9 or even earlier, to give more time for John to be named the LC.

Oh Littlefinger is such a.... grrrrrr... Not that I like Lysa (at all) but I sooooo hate him after what he did up there... Yes, that's another shocker right there.

Oh Littlefinger is such a.... grrrrrr... Not that I like Lysa (at all) but I sooooo hate him after what he did up there... Yes, that's another shocker right there.

Which "what he did" are you referring to? I may not like LF, but I can't lie, him killing Lysa is NOT the reason XD

Which "what he did" are you referring to? I may not like LF, but I can't lie, him killing Lysa is NOT the reason XD

Maybe "after what he did" is telling Lysa to poison Jon Arryn, or kissing a 14 year old girl? The only reason he dumped Lysa is because she was spilling the beans about who really killed Jon Arryn...which of course Sansa was too stupid to figure out.

Archived