Why does no one like Dany?

Ydiot

I'm relatively new to these forums but from what I've read it seems that no one really likes Dany. I know hew storyline is quite slow towards the end of the books but apart from that why does no one really like her character?? I love her character, not necessarily my most favourite character and by no means my only favourite but I can't find any love for her anywhere!

I think some people just try to view the fan-favorite characters with objectivity, and not just based on their personalities and likeable characteristics.

She, like the other players, has done some horrific things, whether we empathize with her reasoning or not.

I guess some people feel like if certain characters commit similar actions, they would be viewed differently.

Stannis is a great example of this, IMO.

I think she's awesome too, but she's far from perfect, shes far from being "the good guy", and someone has to win this game, idk if i imagine it to be her.

Lot's of people like Dany.

Personally I like her and hate her with equal fervor. I like the girl who managed to stand on her one two feet and has the empathy to care for those around her and I hate the one who frequently channels the presumtion of her half crazy, spiteful and abusive dead brother.

Remarkably they are the same person.

Really? that's all? I think nitpick a lot when it comes to Dany. The real reason is that she has the dragons, I'm sure most people would have preferred a male POV had them.

It's really not.

I couldn't care less about dragons for one thing, secondly, I have no issue with Dany being female. Please don't be that Dany supporter that accuses everyone who dislikes her of being sexist :(

I like Dany! She is one of my favourite characters in the books.

On the other hand, perhaps readers are troubled by her story line In SOS she brought down an entire system and became a significant player in the game. She ends slavery, brutally kills slavers and she gains the gratitude of several men and women, who until then, they were oppressed.

Then, in DWD, she is forced to face the consequences of her actions, she decides that it is her duty to remain at Meereen and wear her floppy ears. She is forced to compromise, she falls in love with a man but has to marry another. She is still seeking an identity, a home. It is clear that she doesn't belong in Essos.

She is a fascinating character, in my opinion. She does a lot of mistakes and eventually she realizes it.

She's a teenage girl who is dicovering the world on her own. She may have made some (or many) bad choises, but she's also had a lot of bad influence and she still tunrs out alright. She frees slaves, she lets people speek their mind without the threat of killing them, tries to save women from rape and so on. She just needs a break, she a good kid gone hormone haywire

I think some people just try to view the fan-favorite characters with objectivity, and not just based on their personalities and likeable characteristics.

She, like the other players, has done some horrific things, whether we empathize with her reasoning or not.

I guess some people feel like if certain characters commit similar actions, they would be viewed differently.

Stannis is a great example of this, IMO

I think she's awesome too, but she's far from perfect, shes far from being "the good guy", and someone has to win this game, idk if i imagine it to be her.

I agree with what you have said. She's definitley not perfect or 'the good guy' and some of the decisions she has made have irritated me but then I think it is the same with any other character. It would be a bit boring if a character only ever made 'good' decisions. I don't think I necessarily want her to win either but all in all I love her character :)

Well, here's a brief list of the common complaints I've seen of Daenerys. Obviously this list isn't exhaustive, and not everyone is going to agree, but if you want to get inside the head of people who don't like her, it's a good jumping off point;

1. She's hopelessly indecisive in articulating whether she intends to 'fix' Slaver's Bay and the Essosi slave trade, or return to Westeros and rule there. This is currently resulting in a 'dog with two bones dilemma', where she's losing a lot of potential allies in Westeros (Dorne, Aegon and the Golden Company) because she hasn't left Meereen.
  2. Speaking of Meereen, she's doing an absolutely awful job at the moment of administering it, which does not bode well for a potential Queenship of Westeros.
  3. In regards to her abolitionism, she doesn't seem to fully understand the nature of the problem she's fighting, and why sacking a handful of cities isn't going to stop the Essossi slave trade.
  4. The lack of understanding on how to end slavery is getting a huge amount of people killed.
  5. The fact that she's unique amongst the major characters in having no other POV critically examine her means that the narrative will not emphasis some of the very tyrannical and bloodthirsty things that she does.
  6. She's still too beholden to Viserys view of Westeros; and is rather naive in how much of a monster her father was.

C'mon! like what?

Here's one example. She learns of two Unsullied dying in a wine shop. She decides to have the owner questioned. She hears some unrelated bad news. She decides to have the father watch his daughters get tortured by Skahaz. It's idiotic, the Harpy's have been ahead of her this whole time, why would they implicate one of their own? It shows a complete misunderstanding of justice, you give a verdict because the verdict is just, she was just angry, so she decided to vent, and that family payed the price. It's pointlessly cruel, and that needs no explanation.

Really? that's all? I think nitpick a lot when it comes to Dany. The real reason is that she has the dragons, I'm sure most people would have preferred a male POV had them.

What a dickish thing to say.

She's a massive hypocrite, her whole "I am but a girl", her never ending list of titles to name a few.

I always thought she said that to be sort of ironic (if thats the right word) because she was always saying it to men who were much older and more experienced than her and they mostly didn't expect much from her.

It's really not.

I couldn't care less about dragons for one thing, secondly, I have no issue with Dany being female. Please don't be that Dany supporter that accuses everyone who dislikes her of being sexist :(

:smug: no I wouldn't dare, I read a lot of these "Dany hate" threads and that seems to be the common theme.

I always thought she said that to be sort of ironic (if thats the right word) because she was always saying it to men who were much older and more experienced than her and they mostly didn't expect much from her.

I took it to be ironic as well, after the 6th time though it's infuriating.

:smug: no I wouldn't dare, I read a lot of these "Dany hate" threads and that seems to be the common theme.

Maybe amongst some posters but certainly not me. I really find her one of the most irritating characters, I can't quite put my finger on why, besides how silly her decisions are.

Dany vs Cersei, I'd pick Cersei any day.

Archived