Why does no one like Dany?

Ydiot

Lot's of people like Dany.

Personally I like her and hate her with equal fervor. I like the girl who managed to stand on her one two feet and has the empathy to care for those around her and I hate the one who frequently channels the presumtion of her half crazy, spiteful and abusive dead brother.

Remarkably they are the same person.

Exactly.

Because Dany Stans make it so much fun- watching arguments crumble under the sheer force of "I do not hate Dany because i'm sexist or misogynistic i am a girl." It's always something about men feeling threatened by her because she's "such a Strong Female Character"... find me a Dany-hater who also hates Arya, Asha, Val, and Lady Nym etc.

(Preparing for shitstorm. Stand by.)

You have just rung the horn of Joramun dude.

The Hand was clearly and knowingly working against the will of his king. His punishment was not unjust. Letting cannibals go unpunished, and get this, encourages cannibalism.

The Lord of Bones was not innocent, and nor was Mance, who Stannis believed was being executed.

And no, he did not plan on burning babies.

Look i didn't mean to upset you :unsure: im just saying if a bookmakers offered prices on who'd be the champion of the story/who win the iron throne Stannis would we waaaaaaay down at the bottom and Dany would be in the top 2.

Look i didn't mean to upset you :unsure: im just saying if a bookmakers offered prices on who'd be the champion of the story/who win the iron throne Stannis would we waaaaaaay down at the bottom and Dany would be in the top 2.

I'm not upset, your comments have been fairly tame compared to what I've waded through (I've been to youtube comments and returned). I'm just pointing out that Stannis has yet burn an innocent man, which you were saying he did.

Also, just for interest, the author considers Stannis to be a righteous man.

Calling E-Ro. We have a live one.

Name an innocent person Stannis burnt.

The problem wiht Stannis is that his deifnition of guilty includes everyone who does not bow down to him or does not do what he wants. Which changes by the hour.

I never really liked her story until DwD. Apart from the craziness that was the House of the Undying, I found her story in the first three books dull. She was in not in interesting places and she had a dull supporting cast. I did not identify with her, or understand her much, as I did to an extent with the other main characters like Tyrion and Jon. Her story in SoS depressed me enormously because I thought GrrM was setting her up as a horrible Mary Su who magically fixed massive socio-economic problems, with a fair degree of high-handedness and tyranny, and got off for it. Fortunately DwD proved GrrM is a great writer and that's not what happened at all. :laugh:

Now I really like her story and her character. She has some very noble intentions but is also naive and vengeful. I think she made, in the end, decent macro-level decisions in Dance up until the scene in the fighting pits where, like Jon in his last chapter, she decided she wasn't going to live with her previous choices, and so she fled from the city on Drogon. In other ways she proved an appalling ruler, showing a great deal of disinterest and erratic decision making, although she is still quite talented and insightful and it shows.

So yea, she is a good character.

Great post, Bran the Cute. I feel the same way about both Dany and Jon. I've always considered them to be the good guys but never really cared too much about them until ADwD. I love them both for different reasons now, of course. I have to say that I really love where GRRM has taken Dany's arc. Just when you think this will be one of those fantasy series where the underdog who's been through shit in life gets a dragon/MWD that she uses for the greater good (i.e. end slavery and, supposedly in the future, to fight the Others.. and mayhaps transform into a Mary Sue before our eyes), we were instead shown that all the power from dragon fire in the world would not help a person become a better ruler.

ppl want her to get to westeros ASAP and what use only her dragons to burn her enemies n take the IT then what? I think we learned from Robert winning the war doesn't make u a great king. He let himself be surrounded by ppl he thought he could trust n be used by them, the same could happen to her. Everything you go thought makes you who you are in the end, I think her journey might be slow but will make her a better queen, like she said if she can't rule one city like meereen how is she gonna rule seven kingdoms, deal with people like littlefinger n lords who wanna use an ignorant little girl. I don't like daario either but you need to make mistakes to learn from them, even she realises he's a mistake but he's the first "man" decision she made that wasn't forced on her n when the time comes I'm sure she'll accept responsibility for his betrayal, besides robb did worse by marrying the wrong person she's just sleeping with the guy.

she's usually giving commands to people much older and more experienced than her, and then she gets all bitchy afterwards because they didnt do exactly what she told them to, but instead did something much more effective. The elitist mindset, I.e. "I am the mother of dragons, do what I say or die." The fact that one of the few people she trusts is a sellsword. She always claims to be the rightful queen of westeros, something which she isn't - The targs gained westeros by right of Conquest, anybody else has every eight to take from it by conquest. Even if you're a Targ supporter, (f)Ageon comes before her

she's usually giving commands to people much older and more experienced than her, and then she gets all bitchy afterwards because they didnt do exactly what she told them to, but instead did something much more effective. The elitist mindset, I.e. "I am the mother of dragons, do what I say or die." The fact that one of the few people she trusts is a sellsword. She always claims to be the rightful queen of westeros, something which she isn't - The targs gained westeros by right of Conquest, anybody else has every eight to take from it by conquest. Even if you're a Targ supporter, (f)Ageon comes before her

The (f)Aegon thing is a good one. I bet any money she won't bow down and accept that he has more claim (assuming she believes he's Aegon of course).

The Daario nonsense was the main cause of Daenerys jumping the shark for me. She has her awesome peak moment in Storm of Swords with the Unsullied-dragon-bloodbath. And then it's all downhill from there for her as a character.

I dont really care about Daario, I dont hold it against her that she had an affair with him. Its her role as leader that I am having problems with, not her private life. I think she will be more interesting when she faces more competent opposition, for lets face it the slavers were a walk in the park.

Archived