About the idea of Jon Snow (Jon Targaryen) as king

What is the logic behind those who insist that Jon will sit the Iron Throne? He has the honor of Ned Stark and he is a sworn brother of the Nights Watch. I only enjoy him because of his decision to remain on the watch after counsel from Aemon and Jeor Mormont. I think it's a big part of his character development. I happen to think Jon ever leaving the NW cheapens his character. Now being that Jon is a brother of the NW, and since he probably will be until his death (assuming he is alive at the end of ADWD), where is all the Jon for King opinion coming from?

He's got a good sense of honor he learned from Eddard and Jeor. He has humility from being raised a bastard. He learned to get over prejudices like most misconceptions of wildlings, and started to realize they were not so different. And he has a good claim.

Sounds kingly to me.

Also, couldn't the "honorable" thing to do be sit the throne that needs a leader that people will flock to? Rhaegar was loved by many, and even though most on here scoff at the idea of a 'rightful king,' the people of Westeros have shown they like to look at someone as their leader. That was the case with Robb. He didn't declare himself king; he was made a king.

I feel the same way. The only reason I like Jon as a character is because he's just a bastard and is dedicated to the Night's Watch, and his whole storyarc is pretty much about him trying to make something of himself. That's why him becoming LC was pretty interesting and well-deserved.

Jon the Azor Ahai, Jon the Targ King that was promised, Jon the King in the North, and all that crap would ruin the character. I'd expect that from a Disney fairy tale. Jon becoming the greatest LC thus far would make more sense.

Doesn't really make sense, unless George is planing to do a complete 180 with the character. But whatever tickles your pickle, I guess.

Actually I'd say that most realistic Jon fans, from my observations, don't see him taking over the Iron Throne. Rather, if we see him governing anywhere, it's in the North.

Wait a second, if Jon would be ruling the North, then were does that leave Rickon? I'd assume Rickon would come before Jon...

Actually I'd say that most realistic Jon fans, from my observations, don't see him taking over the Iron Throne. Rather, if we see him governing anywhere, it's in the North.

I recognize that and I intentionally omitted them from the OP in order to highlight those that do advocate Jon sitting on the IT. They're who I'm curious about.

What is the logic behind those who insist that Jon will sit the Iron Throne?

Ladies and gentlemen,

Behind doors number 1 is a young, incompetent boy-King with particular love towards kittens. His innocence and kindness are legendary, he is a sweet boy of questionable parentage - King Tommen

Behind doors number 2 is just, but uncompromising follower of R`hllor fate. His mental and emotional stability isn`t his best suit, but what he lacks in numbers, he makes up with his iron fist - His Grace King Stannis

And, now behind doors number 3 is Mother of Dragons, beautiful but hormonally unstable teenager with weapons of mass destruction. She is just a young girl, but that doesn`t mean that she didn`t send thousands to death and even more to famine - please welcome from far East, Queen Daenerys.

And, for the end, behind doors number 4 is a dragon of questionable color, boy who is great in cyvasse, and even better in patience. His allies are spider of KL and cheesemonger of Pentos. He has no dragons maybe, but he has Targaryen`s idea of grandeur. An entitled little brat with great ambitions - one last applause for Aegon Targaryen aka Young Griff aka mummer`s dragon.

And now do you really want to ask again why we hope someone else to take the Throne?

Behind doors number 2 is just, but uncompromising follower of R`hllor fate. His mental and emotional stability isn`t his best suit, but what he lacks in numbers, he makes up with his iron fist - His Grace King Stannis

Umm, how is Stannis emotionally or mentally unstable, exactly?

Wait a second, if Jon would be ruling the North, then were does that leave Rickon? I'd assume Rickon would come before Jon...

If Robb explicitly named Jon in his will, then it's Jon. Or Jon is Rickon's regent. Or the bannermen go to Jon because he's older, regardless of the so-called bastard rule.

The Jon-Rickon thing has been hashed out on here plenty of times, I'd've thought you'd've seen it by now.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Behind doors number 1 is a young, incompetent boy-King with particular love towards kittens. His innocence and kindness are legendary, he is a sweet boy of questionable parentage - King Tommen

And, now behind doors number 3 is Mother of Dragons, beautiful but hormonally unstable teenager with weapons of mass destruction. She is just a young girl, but that doesn`t mean that she didn`t send thousands to death and even more to famine - please welcome from far East, Queen Daenerys.

And, for the end, behind doors number 4 is a dragon of questionable color, boy who is great in cyvasse, and even better in patience. His allies are spider of KL and cheesemonger of Pentos. He has no dragons maybe, but he has Targaryen`s idea of grandeur. An entitled little brat with great ambitions - one last applause for Aegon Targaryen aka Young Griff aka mummer`s dragon.

And now do you really want to ask again why we hope someone else to take the Throne?

this is funny and all, but it doesn't answer my question. How exactly is this supposed to happen?

Also, Aegon isn't even particularly good at cyvasse. Tyrion has the beating of him. Aegon's tendency is to bring his dragon out too soon and lose it... Guess what he just did when he insisted on revealing his identity for one of Jon Connington's early conquests? Showed his dragon too early...

Regarding the general obsession with who will end up on the iron throne, i'm beginning to wonder if the word 'iron' is being used as a nod to iron-ore, fools gold. The throne's made of steel, after all. We see the iron coin, which can't be spent, and is therefore contradictory to it's meaning - and i fully expect the same sentiment of the iron throne ultimately - it will hold no power against it's purported status.

this is funny and all, but it doesn't answer my question. How exactly is this supposed to happen?

I don't think anyone is in a position to have a good answer, its near impossible to predict what is going to unfold in the series. But there seems to be a clear lack of alternatives, I think that was the point. That's why I'm firmly in the camp that no one will sit the IT at the conclusion, but I'm far from confident.

Archived