Quaithe's Prophecy and Why do you think she's helping Daenerys?

What I got most out of Quaithe's "prophecy" were that the others are about to attack. Ready or not Westeros. A lot of the various battles and grievances will probably fall aside as the greater enemy comes out of the woodworks. If things get bad enough, I think it's likely that the people of Westeros will seek Dany's dragons out in Meeren.

That the houses mentioned by Quaithe will all seek out Dany pretending to want to restore her throne but they really just want her dragons.

I've found it. It's a bit trimmed, taking out the literary part.

"To go north, you must go south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

“What is there in Asshai that I will not find in Qarth?"

"Truth"

In Citadel, you may read an explanation that I don't completely agree. The best I like is that truth might be referred to her family story.

North and south = the Wall and Old Town? Does she know about the Others?

West, east = Westeros, Asshai

Forward, back = future, past ?

Touch the light = reach the knowledge

Pass beneath the shadow = get to Asshai, at least in a figured way, like, finding out what's the truth hidden there (Asshai is beyond the shadow)

Given than both Ashara and Marwin are subscribers to Glass Candles

And Marwyn has been living in Asshai (where he met Mirri Mazz Duur)

On an absolutely crackpot way of thinking, Quaithe could be Ashara and Marwin could have helped her and Aegon to go to Asshai, and settle there. Then he came back to Old Town to study. Marwin would need Aegon and Dany for something related with his studies in Old Town. Probably with the Others, what would explain his interest in Samwell. It's just an idea, I haven't explored it yet.

Just putting together anything about Asshai. Wasn't AA from Asshai? And Melisandre has also lived there, and she's taking a great interest in Jon.

If you see, the clues end by linking the two ends of the known Worldos: Beyond the Wall and Asshai. Most intriguing

Pass beneath the shadow could point to her consuming Shade of the Evening before entering the House of the Undying to begin the journey.

Oh yah I get what you're saying - the Others have been active of late, so Quaithe would be accurate on that part. Prophecising is so mysterious...and I like all the possible interpretations! So interesting.

I would like to opine, Quaithe spoke to Dany. She didn't write her a letter so we won't really know if she meant Others or just others. :P :unsure:

Oh yah I get what you're saying - the Others have been active of late, so Quaithe would be accurate on that part. Prophecising is so mysterious...and I like all the possible interpretations! So interesting.

I would like to opine, Quaithe spoke to Dany. She didn't write her a letter so we won't really know if she meant Others or just others. :P :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I think it mean Quaithe personally doesn't consider him a threat to Dany.

And it might be a long shot, but Marwyn had met MMD on his travels, so it might not be beyond the realms of possibility that he's met Quaithe too.

And there is the glass candle connection.

Quaithe is not an impartial observer, of course, and her skin in the game could be this guy with connections to and fascination with magic, and to atleast one Mage. Thats who she wants Dany to go with. So while the majority of us readers want Dany and Imp to get together and cook awesomesauce, thats not what Quaithe wants.

And there is the glass candle connection.

Quaithe is not an impartial observer, of course, and her skin in the game could be this guy with connections to and fascination with magic, and to atleast one Mage. Thats who she wants Dany to go with. So while the majority of us readers want Dany and Imp to get together and cook awesomesauce, thats not what Quaithe wants.

I defeinitly think that Quaithe has a glass candle and we will see more from her in the upcoming books.

Quaithe from the future? Huh. A better trick would be to resurrect the man who died at the Trident.

I am not sure Quaithe is all that important. And she really has not been all that helpful. Dany appears to have destroyed the magicians' nightmare abode, and we are still waiting for the consequences of that.

If there are only two more books, Quaithe needs to speak up.

There are a lot of people traipsing all over the place, saying very little with a lot of meaningful looks. And some deaths of people who were not important in the first place. I am wondering how all the people who know things are ever going to have the opportunity to tell us what they know. Does it really matter what the Crow did anyway?

I was of the opinion that Quaithe was helping Dany... Until my latest re-read. after Quaithe visits her in dance, Dany begins to have suspicions of many around her; Reznak, Daario, the Shavepate, Hizfhsr, even Groleo. Admitedly, she is right to be suspicious of some of these, but it got me thinking. We know that some people at least tjink Varys poisoned Aerys' mind to turn him to the mad king he eventually became. (No i am not saying Quaithe is Varys) Could Quaithe be to Dany what Varys was to Aerys, and Tyrion was to Aefgon? Its an interesting possibility. I am not sayig what Quaithe says is nrcessarily untrue, but perhaps she is being selective with her words, to make Dany more paranoid.

Anyway, that was what i got this reread, probably by my next I will be convinced Quaithe is a secret targ ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived