What Are You Listening to? Part IX: If You Read It Backwards... You Might Get Nausesous

Durckad

So my head has felt like a smashed window since I got back from Glastonbury, but I have finally pieced the wreckage into something like coherence...

My Short Review:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My (seriously) Long Review:

Part 1 - General Festival stuff & Friday

Part 2 - Saturday & Sunday

Summary:

Best Band/Act - Arctic Monkeys, with Phoenix in 2nd Place

Worst Band/Act - Laura Mvula by a distance

Most Rock and Roll Moment - Este from HAIM having a diabetic attack and rocking her way through it.

Least Rock and Roll Moment - Everything that happened in Bez's Acid House was the opposite of Rock and Roll

Biggest Let Down - Saturday Afternoon lineup was weaker than previous years

Best Surprise - Waking up on Monday morning not hungover. being home by Midday

Scariest Moment - Toss up between the giant metal baby heads or the giant polar bear in the Green Peace section

Overall, I give Glastonbury 10/10. Loved it.

So my head has felt like a smashed window since I got back from Glastonbury, but I have finally pieced the wreckage into something like coherence...

My Short Review:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My (seriously) Long Review:

Part 1 - General Festival stuff & Friday

Part 2 - Saturday & Sunday

Summary:

Best Band/Act - Arctic Monkeys, with Phoenix in 2nd Place

Worst Band/Act - Laura Mvula by a distance

Most Rock and Roll Moment - Este from HAIM having a diabetic attack and rocking her way through it.

Least Rock and Roll Moment - Everything that happened in Bez's Acid House was the opposite of Rock and Roll

Biggest Let Down - Saturday Afternoon lineup was weaker than previous years

Best Surprise - Waking up on Monday morning not hungover. being home by Midday

Scariest Moment - Toss up between the giant metal baby heads or the giant polar bear in the Green Peace section

Overall, I give Glastonbury 10/10. Loved it.

What was the atmosphere at Phoenix like? I watched Mumford and Sons's performance on Youtube and it was completely packed so i was wondering if it was a slightly diminished crowd at Phoenix.

Really enjoyed your review brilliant insight into the festival

Also got to love HAIM they're so entertaining and happy

What was the atmosphere at Phoenix like? I watched Mumford and Sons's performance on Youtube and it was completely packed so i was wondering if it was a slightly diminished crowd at Phoenix.

Really enjoyed your review brilliant insight into the festival

Also got to love HAIM they're so entertaining and happy

Cheers pal, much appreciated! Could probably do with being more succinct but I didn't want to leave anything out!

Phoenix was packed. The John Peel Tent was overflowing. Probably another 2 thousand or so people outside from where I was standing. It has these 6 or so tall bits in the top, kind of like reverse, spike shaped wells, which filled up with the red, pink and blue lights. The tent looked like a spaceship powered by joy. Everyone was singing and dancing and smiling. People were hugging strangers. It was a like a religious experience.

Viva la Phoenix!

Edit: And yeah, HAIM. Oh my word, they were very, very good.

I can't stop listening to this tonight:

Also, what was the Pumpkins set like at Glasto?.

Didn't see it, but my friend said it was hugely disappointing. Apparently they may as well just have played a CD (quietly) and the effect would have been the same.

Didn't see it, but my friend said it was hugely disappointing. Apparently they may as well just have played a CD (quietly) and the effect would have been the same.

I guess it's to be expected as only one original member is left, they should change their name to Billy Corgan and the yes men :P.

Just picked up Deafheaven's "Sunbather", and I'm on my second listen through. There's been a ton of hype over this record and I can totally see where it's coming from. The first half is definitely "brighter" than I usually go for, but somehow these guys are doing it right. The C and D sides are totally killing it though. It's like a Codiene LP played at 78 rpm. The worst thing I can say is this is getting a lot of "hipster acclaim"... Metal for people that don't like metal... But that's not even a bad thing. More transcending boundaries than pandering to lowest common denominator. Definite contender for top 10 heavy/extreme albs of the year.

Got to see my girl Taylor last night. Not nearly as good as the Speak Now tour... pretty mediocre setlist tbh, other than the great Red deep cuts. But she left several of her biggest hits off of the setlist -- which I don't mind since I'm a nerd who'd rather hear deep cuts anyway -- and which fills me with indelible hope for the future. This means I won't have to sit through her 15 most popular songs every tour for the next 30 years.

I mean her wanton disregard for the hits was almost staggering here, she didn't just drop them in favor of her new songs, she actually trotted out Sparks Fly instead of either of Speak Now's biggest hits (Mine & Back to December), she played a total of only two songs from Fearless... out of 11 total songs that hit top 10 on Billboard (100), she only played 6 of them. That's almost half that are being dropped for album tracks.

It's really great to know that she's not going to feel tethered by her exponentially growing list of hits. Because if she was, I mean, one more album and we'd probably have the same setlist for the rest of her life.

Archived