What Are You Listening to? Part IX: If You Read It Backwards... You Might Get Nausesous

Durckad

:bowdown:

Was on an 80's Rush kick after seeing them live on Thursday.

I really love that song and that whole album actually. Grace... is easily my favorite of their 80's albums, with Power Windows not too far behind.

Listening to now:

Good song that really kicks into high gear when that solo starts up. The new album is slowly growing on me more and more. At first I thought that it was inferior when compared to Black Gives Way To Blue, but I think it's just more of a grower. There are some good songs just none that really scream 'awesome' or 'potential classic.'

Listening to now:

Good song that really kicks into high gear when that solo starts up. The new album is slowly growing on me more and more. At first I thought that it was inferior when compared to Black Gives Way To Blue, but I think it's just more of a grower. There are some good songs just none that really scream 'awesome' or 'potential classic.'

I loved 'Stone' and 'Phantom Limb' right off the bat, but Lab Monkey has certainly been growing on me.

Vampire Weekend is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm finally getting to hear their new record in its entirety, and it is really outstanding. Better than their previous two, and I think that some that said "meh" to this group would pleasantly surprised with this one.

Vampire Weekend is not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm finally getting to hear their new record in its entirety, and it is really outstanding. Better than their previous two, and I think that some that said "meh" to this group would pleasantly surprised with this one.

Brilliant, isn't it? Properly grown up music.

I have a friend who says it's weird that I strongly dislike/hate Mumford and Sons, Imagine Dragons, the Lumineers, but like Of Mountains and Men/ What does everyone else think of these hipster, vaguely folk-ish rock bands? Are they all the same?

That's not weird, that's normal. Of Monsters and Men are a bit like Arcade Fire, the others you listed are just dull, derivative middle of the road rubbish IMO.

Was on an 80's Rush kick after seeing them live on Thursday.

I really love that song and that whole album actually. Grace... is easily my favorite of their 80's albums, with Power Windows not too far behind.

Signals is my favorite from the "synth" era but Grace Under Pressure is a close second. Congrats on getting to see them live! I missed them this time around.

Listened to some of their new album last night including this one. Definitely going to pick it up soon.

I have a friend who says it's weird that I strongly dislike/hate Mumford and Sons, Imagine Dragons, the Lumineers, but like Of Mountains and Men/ What does everyone else think of these hipster, vaguely folk-ish rock bands? Are they all the same?

I actually rather like Imagine Dragons (at least their singles) but can't stand Mumford and Sons or the Lumineers. I'm not sure though that they sound enough like that one would be expected to like or dislike them uniformly.

Anyway, I've been listening to tracks from Jay-Z's new album. It doesn't go on regular sale until tomorrow, but a million Samsung users got it as part of a promotion (neat trick that, going platinum before it even goes on sale*). There's no legit videos on Youtube either as far as I can tell; so you'll just have to take my word that, if you like Jay-Z, its really good.

*Although I think I saw that only the RIAA will count it; Billboard won't because Samsung only paid $5 per album.

Anyway, I've been listening to tracks from Jay-Z's new album. It doesn't go on regular sale until tomorrow, but a million Samsung users got it as part of a promotion (neat trick that, going platinum before it even goes on sale*). There's no legit videos on Youtube either as far as I can tell; so you'll just have to take my word that, if you like Jay-Z, its really good.

Haha, did the app make you say that before you could listen to the album?

Haha, did the app make you say that before you could listen to the album?

It would've probably. I don't have the app, or a new enough Samsung product to support it. Several people had uploaded the songs to youtube (not there anymore; now anything with the song names is just junk that people put up as a joke) and I got my listens in before they were removed.

I've gotten about halfway through the album, and it seems like despite the background beats, Jay sounds the same in every track.

Not to move away from the heavy metal/ambient/stonerrock vibe going on here, but Tegan and Sara's new album Heartthrob is pretty damn awesome. "Closer" is as infectious as the pox, but there isn't one song on the album I dont like.

In opposition to what someone said a couple pages (threads?) back, I also cannot get enough of Frank Turner's "Tape Deck Heart." Less folky, more punky, and definitely accessible enough to allow him to blow up in the US while still maintaining his lyrical integrity. Love it.

Archived