The Drowned God Is probably Cthulhu.

Orphu

As many works of H.P lovecraft have entered public domain, and considering George RR martin's involvement of shared world tales such as wildcards, and the ubiquity of shared world tales connected with Lovecraft's writings,

I think it's possible that the Ironborn could be worshipping a deity out of the Cthulhu Mythos. Probably not Cthulhu himself though, that would be too obvious, but some other Cthulhu deity with a squid like head, thus accounting for the Greyjoy standard.

My idea is that the gods of Westeros, like those of the Cthulhu mythos, are aliens. Magic is linked to them, and they had left westeros, but recently returned, as evidenced by the comet, and it is that return that has sparked the resurgence of magic.

My textual evidence on this is really thin, mainly because I can't be bothered looking for references, but you would have to agree that the Drowned God religion of the Ironborn has a Cthulhu cult vibe, I think.

It is entirely possible that the gods (excluding the Old Gods, of course) of ASOIAF are "aliens" in the Lovecraftian sense, but I doubt we will see any proof, because GRRM has said we won't meet any gods

Another Lovecraftian contender for Drowned God: Dagon.

Also- The Black Goat of Qohor is Shub-Niggurath the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young.

GRRM has a ton of Lovecraft references sprinkled through ASOIAF, here's another thread about it:

So you're saying extraterrestrials visited westeros in the past, would that make the​m ancient aliens ?

Sure they were riding in the moon that brought the dragons and the Others. It is known, at least to the horse folk.

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'hllor wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Not really likely.

:B

Sure they were riding in the moon that brought the dragons and the Others. It is known, at least to the horse folk.

Does that mean dragons are really Nightgaunts or Mi-Go? :B

The Drowned God and his follower, Dagon Greyjoy (once king of the Iron Islands) is an obvious nod to H.P. Lovecraft. Along with the kraken motif that goes with it. Har. But nah, the Drowned God isnt really Cthulhu as awesome as it would be.

Unfortunately, much as I love Lovecraft, GRRM loves to drop references and shout outs to popular culture without literally incorporating the concepts into his book. So the Drowned God is Chthuluesque without being the old squid-head himself -- its an homage. Sort of like the Three Stooges being "in" Westeros without literally being Larry, Curly, and Mo.

• 11 months later...

Unfortunately, much as I love Lovecraft, GRRM loves to drop references and shout outs to popular culture without literally incorporating the concepts into his book. So the Drowned God is Chthuluesque without being the old squid-head himself -- its an homage. Sort of like the Three Stooges being "in" Westeros without literally being Larry, Curly, and Mo.

This. He's not literally Cthulhu but he's definitely a reference.

Archived