(AFFC SPOILERS) Darkstar hate thread

Sloanzilla

A lot of people seem to really like him, but I'm guessing it is just because 1. He has a cool X-man sounding name and 2. He's a Dayne. So we're picturing a sort of evil sword of the morning.

But what have we seen from him so far?

1. He tries to kill little girls.

2. He can't even manage to kill little girls.

What kind of loser botches a little girl killing?

If he was a Frey, instead of Darkstar the Dayne, we wouldn't think he was cool at all.

I plan on chanting "over-rated" whenever it is his turn at the plate.

A lot of people seem to really like him, but I'm guessing it is just because 1. He has a cool X-man sounding name and 2. He's a Dayne. So we're picturing a sort of evil sword of the morning.

But what have we seen from him so far?

1. He tries to kill little girls.

2. He can't even manage to kill little girls.

What kind of loser botches a little girl killing?

If he was a Frey, instead of Darkstar the Dayne, we wouldn't think he was cool at all.

I plan on chanting "over-rated" whenever it is his turn at the plate.

I agree, he's a jerk. I hope Prince Doran's people catch him.

We dont know why Darkstar tried to kill Myrcella personally i find his name a little cheesy. He has some issues regarding his jealousy of arthur I like the idea he is the dark version perhaps like arthur in martial skill but lacking the virtue to make him sword of the morning and so feeding his envy.

Perhaps when we find out why he tried to kill myrcella it will shed some light on his character. I think one reason for the darkstar love is so many hard charcters who can kick ass have been killed or incapacitated and readers want somethng to fill this void.

Guest OsRavan

i dont think we can consider it botchign al ittle girls murder. 1) i doubt he planned in advance to kil her. it lookedl iek a spur of the momment thing. 2) he couldnt exactyly stick around and make sure it got done. he made a sword slash at her and ran. and still enarlly got it. or are oyu impylign eh couldnt have killed the princess one on one with her and oen protector? i rather think he could. if anything we should be impressed he could come as close as he did when he is won man surroudned by armed men who want to protect her.

as to likeing him. i dont like him as in i want him to suceed. but i do like him as he is an itneresting and cool character whom i want ot hear more about. sort of like the smilng knight

We dont know why Darkstar tried to kill Myrcella

I assumed that he just wanted war between Dorne and the Iron Throne, and when he saw that it wouldn't be possible to crown Myrcella, he decided that killing her would bear similar consequences.

And let me also add my hate in the thread. Darkstar is just scum. And as Doran said, blame on Arianne for bringing him there.

Guest OsRavan

it could have been that i have also see ntheories of him workign for people etc. my poitn being.. yes he is sucm.. but the fact that he didnt kill the pricness in what was liekly (not certainyl but liekly) a spur of the momment decision doesnt take away frum his skill. Tehres a reason doran calls hi mthe msot dangerosue man in dorne. and itsn ot simply cause hes scum.

Darkstar certainly is scum he seems to have serious issues but as yet we dont know his motives. It also gives me grave concerns over ariannes judgement though I think the events of AFFC might of hopefully cooled her into a more calm and calculating character ala Doran.

Also Osravan how do you post so fast do you have three heads six arms and 3 computers going simultaneously sometimes it seems 2 of your post turn up at once or are you just a real fast typng fiend.

Guest OsRavan

and aain i dont tihnk many og us loveh im in the sense we ewant hi mto win. we love *Reading* of him. he is itneresting. i dont tihnk it cheesy for hi mto attempt to kill myrcella. i certainyl didnt expect that endign to the chapter. nor, sicne we dont truly know his reasons, can we say if they were cheesy or not

.' .'

ok- I sure messed that quoting thing up, but anyway.

spur of the moment, her horse moved, excuses, meh, we're talking about a 10-year-old girl. Hotah's men were all busy with Oaktard, and the other conspirators were all admitted wusses. A real kickass could have handled killing her. He's got the cool name and title, but he's really just a brooding wanker.

I agree with the kickass void. That's probably why I thought the fact that he turned out to suck was pretty funny.

Oh, and is it possible that the "snitch" is the little Lannister girl who dressed like Myrcella? Do we know for sure that it is one of the conspirators?

Guest OsRavan

he has *one* shot cause of the crossbow men. ie her horse moves he doesnt have time to take a *Second* swing to make sure of it. put any kngiht in his palce and its the same resutls unelss htey are willig nto sacrafice their freedom and/or life. you swing sword at girl.. girl shifts at the last momment. fine. any kngiht.. including the darkstar.. coudl then follow up and kill her. but the darkstar..and any kngihti n this situaiton. .doesnt have even the secodns to spare to follow it up if they want to get out of there alive

I didnt like him or find him very interesting either. He does have a rather cheesy name and here we have another "bad guy"/rogue knight type who dresses all in black... doesnt he have an eyepatch as well to top it off? (or am i thinking of someone else - Euron had a similar description)

his only interesting quality is that he is a Dayne tho.

I didnt like him or find him very interesting either. He does have a rather cheesy name and here we have another "bad guy"/rogue knight type who dresses all in black... doesnt he have an eyepatch as well to top it off? (or am i thinking of someone else - Euron had a similar description)

his only interesting quality is that he is a Dayne tho.

exactly. A RL friend who just finished the series told me he was his favorite char. I asked why. The answer was that he just sounds cool. It just amuses me that some people have decided he's cool when we've seen no actual evidence of coolness. Maybe we will later, though I'd be ok with having a literary character who sounds really cool but turns out to be incompetent.

As far as the crossbowmen, whatever. From the description, they were in combat and nobody was even really paying attention. I stand by my belief that anyone with an ounce of competence or badassness could have finished the job. Hell, Ser Gregor woulda thrown in a head smashing or two for measure.

Darkstar is considered the most dangerous man in Dorne even after "botching" the attempt. Clearly, it's not counted against him that a spur of the moment attempt, where the margin of error was very small, didn't work out due to unpredictable events. ;)

He's not particularly likable (although he does have that great line: "No. I am Gerold Dayne, and I am of the night.") -- he's more sour and unpleasant than Stannis, and that's pretty difficult to be. ;) He's a stone-cold killer, too, as well. And, it seems, a bit of a betrayer. What is there to like, really? There are many skilled warriors in the series, so I see no reason to be a particular fan of this one, poor, crabbed shadow of Arthur Dayne that he is. ;)

Grrm is also said to be a massive fan of comic books so geralds monika is kinda cool in that context. His nickname must have a story though i believe its prob something in his past perhaps related to not being able to claim Dawn. Darkstar as a name i find weak in comparison to the mountain (for his size) or kingslayer for obvious reasons maybe there is a story behind the darkstar name?

I don't have strong feelings about him one way or the other. But he's certainly not exactly what he appears to be. This series is structured in a way so that one major character's situation is paralleled by other, minor ones. I wonder if Darkstar is supposed to play a similar role to Doran Martell as Lyn Corbray to Littlefinger. In other words, Darkstar appears to disagree with Doran's policies so that he can spy on Doran's enemies. If this is so, he never really intended to kill Myrcella in the first place. In fact, he would have been the person who ratted on Arienne.

I don't like the fact that he just pops up, out of the blue, and proceeds to act in a villainous way. Was there really a need to get this dramatic "I am DARKSTAR, foe of HE-MAN" dude to betray Arianne? Why would he even be in with this party if his feelings about the whole thing were so widely known?

He just seems sloppy to me.

I don't like the fact that he just pops up, out of the blue, and proceeds to act in a villainous way. Was there really a need to get this dramatic "I am DARKSTAR, foe of HE-MAN" dude to betray Arianne? Why would he even be in with this party if his feelings about the whole thing were so widely known?

He just seems sloppy to me.

:lol: thanks, that ruled.

Archived