The Wheel of Time sidenotes: This is not the beginning.

Wicked Woodpecker of West

For Aes Sedai, the question of whom to defer to and by how much is a very important tool in their political life. The primary measure is degree of difference in strength in the power. Age differences come next. This is followed by differences in number of years spent as Novice and Accepted. A real wildcard is whether you were a Wilder or started channeling in the Tower. All else being equal, Wilders tend to be lower on the totem pole than those who started in the Tower, but (based on the main series) this may not be enforced much.

And I was thinking that pure strength rule was really stupid. I was wrong.

(Really (and please no spoilers) someone would think that women that was brave, capable and talented enough to manage control over their powers should have upper hands against those that need to go to special school for it. I mean if you really want to create hierarchy of things like this.)

Because very strong sisters always attract notice and are the standard against which new entrants are compared. Assume someone as strong as Cadsuane lived a 1000 years ago. Everyone who came after her would be compared to her. Over time, the next strongest would be the standard, and once that one dies, the next strongest, and so on. These records are maintained in the Tower (every Novice has an entry about when they joined, how strong they were, how long they were a Novice, when/if they became Accepted, etc.). So when someone like Cadsuane came along, it would have been very easy for an Aes Sedai to backtrack on the records and see when the last person with her strength came to the Tower.

Except Cadsuane all other Aes Sedai we see so far (I remind you I'm New Springer only) gets sick when they have to talk about power levels. I can understand they learn to compare levels through their magical intuition, their Power sense, but I really cannot imagine them making chronicles of some universal power units through centuries (maybe they do it, still I cannot imagine it on this level). "Oh this one has 238 thaums, and this one 457 th. Yes... that sounds weird.

Women like her tend to be notorious and well known to Aes Sedai. They're obsessed enough with strength that strong women become instant celebrities, with their other attributes taking a backseat sometimes. Elaida is a good example of that.

Elaida a celebrity? I mean, yeah she got cool work so early in her magical career, but I wouldn't call her a celebrity. I hope...

Anyway thank you for your answers. Now I know the truth is much worse than my suspicions ;)

And I was thinking that pure strength rule was really stupid. I was wrong.

(Really (and please no spoilers) someone would think that women that was brave, capable and talented enough to manage control over their powers should have upper hands against those that need to go to special school for it. I mean if you really want to create hierarchy of things like this.)

Oh the entire thing is very stupid. Which is the point. The Tower is a warped political entity that just happens to consist of women who can wield the Power.

And while I agree with you on principle, most Wilders don't have conscious control of their use of the Power. So when they come to the Tower, they usually end of taking longer to train. This isn't really a spoiler, btw.

Except Cadsuane all other Aes Sedai we see so far (I remind you I'm New Springer only) gets sick when they have to talk about power levels. I can understand they learn to compare levels through their magical intuition, their Power sense, but I really cannot imagine them making chronicles of some universal power units through centuries (maybe they do it, still I cannot imagine it on this level). "Oh this one has 238 thaums, and this one 457 th. Yes... that sounds weird.

No units, no. But remember, making a notation of how someone compares to the strongest sister in the Tower involved no talking between Aes Sedai. They're also weirdly hypocritical about talking about strength. Its okay to talk of Novices and Accepted. Not so much about Aes Sedai.

Elaida a celebrity? I mean, yeah she got cool work so early in her magical career, but I wouldn't call her a celebrity. I hope...

She's principle adviser to the Queen of the most powerful nation, and one which is the Tower's closest ally. Just for reference, the her predecessor was Gitara Moroso, the former Keeper of Chronicles. She was hundreds of years older. Now, Elaida didn't get the post purely because of her strength. But it played a role...

Anyway thank you for your answers. Now I know the truth is much worse than my suspicions ;)

Oh, you have no idea. But keep reading. This is one issue that gets dealt with extensively in the main series.

Chapter 18: A Narrow Passage

Moiraine missed a step. Wish for something hard enough, and you could think you saw it.

- Be careful about that Moiraine. Last time your wishes bring down on us all this Dragon-Apocalypse Mess.

- Also: What the hell is Siuan doing here?

There would be snow at Sunday before the woman let her go short of that.

- Is Sunday snow somehow unusual in Wheelworld? I mean even during Winter Sundays?

Perhaps Siuan had let something slip, or maybe her book of names had been found, or…. No; how it happened did not matter. Sierin must have found out, about everything. It would be just like the woman to send Siuan to bring her back, so their worry could feed on each other during the long ride. Maybe she was building phantasms, but she could not imagine another explanation.

- So there's probably other more sensible answer. And probably even worse.

- All Dragon Seekers are dead. I suppose that's not a coincidence.

Moiraine hugged her back, making soothing sounds. And staring past Siuan’s shoulder in consternation. “Accidents do happen,” she said slowly. “Bandits. Storms. Aes Sedai can die as easily as anyone else.”

- Yeah, right. I'm quite sure experienced, powerful sorceress would just drown during some storm.

Her father used to say that once was happenstance, twice might be coincidence, but thrice or more indicated the actions of your enemies. He said he had read it somewhere. But what enemies?

- THE ENEMY. You know. The Dark One. The Great Adversary. Lord of the Rings. Master of Forsaken. Beast Called Dragon... Oh, wait, not that one.

- Meilyn was killed in the Tower. Something about Red sisters and Red-Grey Amyrlin not liking idea of Dragon Reborn?

- Oh, so Tamra was also killed. Well I hope at least Gitara died naturally...

- Black Ajah. I would be more surprised if I didn't read all those Goodkind threads, sorry. So Sisters of the Dark. Hope without any Big Barbed Namble Cocks this time...

Almost any sister grew angry at the suggestion that a secret Ajah existed, hidden inside the others, an Ajah dedicated to the Dark One. Most sisters refused to listen to any mention of it. The White Tower had stood for the Light for over three thousand years.

- Well, that's not exactly shocking. Actually it's quite obvious result of your freaking Oaths that prevents Aes Sedai from making magical axes, but don't say anything about NOT BECOMING A BLOODY SATANIST.

Just before I left, I slipped a note with my suspicions under Sierin’s door. Not about the boy; about the…. About the Black. Only, I didn’t know how much to trust her even there. The Amyrlin Seat! But if it’s real, then anybody could belong. Anybody!

- Oh, great. So Sierin can be Black too. Well now I think most of Sitters can be Black. That would be only logical explanation why did they choose this mistake of the woman for their headmaster.

- Well, that would be quite cool if one of important enemies in main novels would be White Tower conquered by devil worshipers.

It all seemed hopeless − who could say how many Black sisters there might be? twenty? fifty? and a terrible thought: more?

- I would say 33%. It's kinda Biblical.

“Perhaps they know us, and perhaps not. Perhaps they think they can leave two new sisters for last. In any case, we cannot trust anyone but ourselves.

- One of those cool, old-fashioned criminals.

. “Cadsuane could be Black Ajah,” she agreed when Moiraine finished.

- No way! She's way too cool to be evil. I bet Larelle is Black. I mean she's Grey, and Sierin is Grey too, and after all Grey is just diluted Black. So Grey = Black = Red.

We swore we’d find beautiful young princes to bond, too, and marry them besides. Girls say all sorts of silly things.

- Well there is still an actual prince around (even king technically). So I suppose one of you can still end with royal Warder after all...

- I mean if author will decide to finally let two main characters of this novel to you know actually meet.

If the Black Ajah − her stomach twisted every time she thought that name − if they were involved, then ordinary Darkfriends were, too. No one denied that some misguided people believed the Dark One would give them immortality, people who would kill and do every sort of evil to gain that hoped-for reward.

- Really? They believe Destroyer of Reality gonna grant them immortality? Are there any proofs It can actually do it? And why they even care, if reincarnation is kinda common belief in this world.

As she approached The Gates of Heaven, a sister appeared in the inn’s doorway. Part of a sister, at least; all she could see was an arm with a fringed shawl over it, and that just for an instant.

- Pity you didn't notice color of this shawl.

A very tall man who had just come out, his hair in two belled braids, turned back to speak for a moment, but a hand gestured peremptorily, and he strode past Moiraine wearing a scowl.

- Oy, isn't that Lan's pal who betrayed his nation ways and become Dothraki?

- So, Merean, Larelle or Cadsuane, one of them was talking with Lan's friend. That's interesting. Coincidence? We'll see.

There were a hundred possible explanations, and she put the man out of her head. The sure dangers were real enough without inventing more.

- Then those uninvented gonna go back and bite your ass.

Under the circumstances? Under any normal circumstances, he would never have dared suggest doubling to a noblewoman, no matter how many merchants he had to push into one bed. But what he meant was, since she would soon be off to the White Tower.

- Someone would think that becoming White Tower initiate should raise noblewoman status among commoners not decrease it.

“If you’re displeased, I suggest you speak to one of the Aes Sedai,” he said in a firm voice. A firm voice! To her!

- Do you hear a people sing?

- Really all those folk that cannot even recognize Accepted dress, and were all scared of White Tower suddenly wanna instruct wilder and future novice? And looking down upon her? You know she can become an actual Aes Sedai (well she is one) and they came back here with her MIGHTY WRATH,

- And Moiraine is showing off before Cadsuane. I really wanna those two to meet sometime in future when Moiraine gonna be stronger than now.

Moiraine counted to one hundred slowly, then swung her feet out from under the covers. Now was as good a time as any.

- If Cadsuane isn't total dumbass she would wait a little bit longer to make sure "fool girl" won't make anything... fool.

- Run, Moiraine, run!

Chapter 19: Pond Water

- But the only water is the forest is the river...

She was, and for another night besides, but there was always the chance Cadsuane had promised the servants rewards to watch her movements. In the Green sister’s place, she would have. This way, no one would suspect anything until she failed to return that night.

- I am not an advanced Daes Dae'mar player, but on Cadsuane place I would be extremely suspicious, if Moiraine after yesterday's quarrel would go on early field trip, even if she left all her properties behind.

No one went out in the night. Not in the Borderlands.

- Not suspicious at all.

- And here's Lan band.

Should they turn out to be Darkfriends, or simply brigands, she would have to hold them prisoner long enough to hand them over to some authority. No telling how long that would take, and besides, there would be no hiding that she was Aes Sedai then. News of a woman capturing three outlaws, hardly an event of every day, would spread like wildfire in dry timber. She might as well weave a great column of Fire above her head to help anyone who wanted to find her.

- Or you could just leave them unconscious in the middle of nowhere? Maybe with throats slit?

- Lan's hiding in the woods. That's weird.

And one man would certainly be less trouble than three, if she was careful.

- Or even six.

- And here's the pond. But without any ducks. Obviously.

Far from a pretty man, too. Not handsome, with that hard, angular face. A suitable face for a brigand.

- They were saying the same about Araghorn.

A question or two would not take long. “Which of you met an Aes Sedai recently?” might be enough.

- Not suspicious at all.

And if he was unnerved a little − say at finding her suddenly standing right behind him − he might answer before he thought.

- Helluva plan. Daes Dae'mar for dummies.

And it might also help if he found her with her belt knife in one hand and his sword in the other.

- You know how to make friends, definitely.

- Buahahahahahahahaha! The girl had it coming to her. HERE. COMES. THE POND.

Furiously she twisted around to confront her attacker, furiously embraced the Source once more, prepared to knock him down and drub him till he squealed!

- I'm quite sure that would count as "using Power as a weapon without death threat".

Muttering under her breath, she splashed awkwardly to where she could take his outstretched hand in both of hers. And heaved with all of her might. Ignoring icy water tickling down your ribs was not easy, and if she was wet, so would he be, and without any need to use the One….

- Cairhien. Land of clever schemers.

“I’ll start a fire and hang up blankets so you can dry yourself,” he murmured, still not meeting her gaze. What was he hiding? Or perhaps he was shy. She had never heard of a shy Darkfriend, though she supposed there could be some.

- Well, if for some reason you decide to worship Destroyer of Realities I suppose it's really safer to by shy about it.

- Also: shouldn't they teach Accepted about various national customs, for instance about Malkieri men acting as a scared servants around any possible woman?

“A Cairhienin, Lan? I suppose you’ve seen a Cairhienin in her skin, but I never have.”

- Considering Cairhienin prudence and Lan's timidity that would certainly be problematic thing...

- And now's Lan all touchy. Damn, man what were you thinking befriending this passport-changing mercenary? That he would be polite and proper?

“You remember the sight of the Thousand Lakes, Ryne,” Lan said coldly. “Does a woman need protection from your eyes?”

- Well probably yes.

- Bukama resolves quarrel with cut-his-throat game. Ryne is winning. Damn that means that Lan isn't an ultimate Jedi of this story.

Waiting inside the blankets, she tried to recall what she had been taught of Malkier. It had not been a great deal, except as history. Ryne remembered the Thousand Lakes, so he must be Malkieri, too.

- History? Damn, Malkier was destroyed twenty something years ago. There are still many Malkieri alive. I understand that they are not important nation now, but really putting them totally under history badge is unfair. They should get some geography and social studies part as well!

- Only Bukama knows how to behave, apparently.

“Every man has to die somewhere,” he said softly, and went off to make up his blankets. A very odd answer. Worthy of an Aes Sedai.

- Wait? Ryne is expecting to die in Chiachin? Why would he? Something about mercenaries being all improper and rude?

It meant waking every time they changed guard, which they did frequently, but there was nothing for it.

- Wait frequently changing watches? But this way no one gets real sleep. Couldn't you just divide night in three two-hour parts, rather than waking every fifteen minutes or so?

“I’d sooner trust an Aes Sedai, Bukama. Go to sleep.”

- Ah, narration laws.

- AND. HERE. COMES. THE POND.

She expected to see a sodden, half-frozen man beaten to the ground and ready to learn proper respect. He was dripping wet, a few small fish flopping around his feet. He was standing on his feet. With his sword out.

- Lan is not to be easily trolled.

- Also: few innocent little fish has to die as a comic relief.

“Shadowspawn?” Ryne said in a disbelieving tone

- Yeah, that's how monsters of Shadow works. Wet someone's clothes in cold early spring night and he's as good as dead.

“It is unwise to show anything except respect to an Aes Sedai, Master Lan.”

- Because if you don't show them respect, they'll start to act as unruly children.

She might have thought it a gesture of humility, only he glanced at her, very nearly meeting her eyes this time. If that was humility, kings were the most humble men on earth.

- Well basically he is a king. And really what were you expecting, girl, that you can act as freakin' Aquaman and people would show humility?

- Well, that's probably rational expectation.

- Also: I mean evil Marvel Aqua-Man, not DC one.

When she drifted off, she was thinking of Ryne, strangely. A pity if he was afraid of her, now. A great pity if he turned out to be a Darkfriend. He was charming, and quite pretty, really. She did not mind a man wanting to see her unclothed, only his telling others about it.

- Wow, what happened to our utterly shy little Accepted. Call it growing up.

- So those two finally meet each other. And it was truly epic in this not-exploding-dragons kind of way. Wonder how that leads to cover scene with all those kneeling, cose now we are far, far away from it.

Chapter 20: Breakfast in Manala

“You may call me Lady Alys,” the strange little woman told them when she climbed drowsily from her blankets at sunrise, stifling yawns with a fist.

- That's clever. Truth hidden in plain sight.

He had seen “Alys” face in the moonlight when the water stopped, though he had not realized what he was seeing till later. Childish glee at playing a prank, and childish disappointment that it had not worked as she wished. Aes Sedai were many things, and convoluted enough with it to make other women seem simple, but they were never childish.

- Apparently you've never met The Prank Ajah.

Besides, she had given them money. The woman did not know insult when she offered it.

- Ha, I thought that noble Malkieri northerners wouldn't take a broken penny for protection.

“It’s disrespectful to her, Lan, and shameful on your part. An honorable man protects whoever needs protecting, but children above all, and women above men. Pledge her protection for your own honor.”

- Dude, he almost eviscerated his second best friend because he had made an improper comment. I suppose that's more important that being polite.

“A beautiful morning, my Lady,” he murmured, “though no sunrise could compare in beauty with the deep, dark pools of your eyes.” And then he twitched, his own eyes going wide as he searched to see whether she was offended.

- She should be with such a low-level poetry.

She stood very close while he worked, looking up at him with those big eyes he so admired, and whatever she said, Lan heard answering murmurs about her “skin of silky snow.” Which brought a delighted laugh from her.

- Skin of silky snow? Sounds bit nec-romantic, if you want to know my opinion.

But Ryne was right; he had seen a Cairhienin in her skin, more than one. And they had all tried to mesh him in a scheme, or two, or three. Over one particularly memorable ten days in the south of Cairhien, he had almost been killed six times and nearly married twice.

- Apparently Cairhienin aren't as prude as Moiraine. At least not when it came to schemes and intrigues.

- Also: weren't Cairhien destroyed by Aiel folk? City burned? Nation ravaged? And while fighting invaders back with help of dozen foreign nations they still have time to play their little games. Something about scorpion and its nature.

An Aes Sedai, if she really was one, and a Cairhienin? There could be no worse combination.

- Well she could be of Black Ajah...

“I wish to reach Chachin as swiftly as possible, and I will not have you falling over from hunger in a foolish attempt to show me how tough you are.”

- I'm quite sure few hours or even one day of fasting wouldn't make three experienced soldiers to fall over...

He did not add that they would have eaten there last night, and slept in beds, if not for her.

- Well, you would avoid it if you weren't so suspicious about lone woman rider. OK, you were right this time, but it doesn't means it's not a paranoia.

A sprawling collection of stone houses roofed in red or green tiles, Manala was not far short of being called a town, with above twenty streets crisscrossing a pair of low hills. Three inns fronted a large green in the hollow between the hills, alongside the road

- Well that's much more than average Wild West town.

Lan was not sure how many really believed that leaping those low flames would burn away any bad luck accumulated since the previous Bel Tine, but he did believe in luck. Both kinds. In the Blight, you lived or died by luck as often as by skill or lack of it.

- Home, sweet home.

In stark counterpoint to the merriment on the green, beside the road stood six stakes holding the large heads of Trollocs, wolf-snouted, ram-horned, eagle-beaked below all too human eyes.

- Human eyes? Really? You make human-animal hybrids and you give them human eyes? Dear Dark One, that's absolute incompetence. I'm quite sure large, brutal humanoid should rather have eagle eyes than eagle beak. Eagle beak isn't really useful weapon in larger scheme.

- "Where did you face Trollocs, m'lady?" "Ah, you know in Aes Sedai video game."

The woman actually believed she was in charge. From the way Ryne jumped to obey, so did he.

- Well, she is.

Mistress Tomichi looked uneasy about two Malkieri stopping at her inn, but she brightened when Alys began issuing commands for her breakfast.

- Malkieri have a bad reputation, or something? They seem to be decent guys.

- Is it insult to be called retainer?

- So that what you think Lan? First you lady-love sends you six assassins and now she sent wilder to watch you? Sorry, that doesn't compute.

Lan’s eyebrows rose in admiration in spite of himself. He had not heard a sound of her leaving.

- Oh, you know Lan. It's freakin' magic.

Ryne rushed to one of the arrowslits and peered out. “Her horse is still there. Maybe she’s just visiting the privy.” Lan winced inwardly at the crudity. There were matters one spoke of and matters one did not.

- Suddenly Malkieri and Cairhienin don't seem to be so different.

- Eavesdropping, Lan? Not nice.

He very nearly blinked. First she managed to leave the common without him hearing, and now she heard him when he was trying to be quiet. Remarkable. Perhaps she was Aes Sedai. Which meant she might be looking at Ryne for a Warder.

- You know Lan, MAGIC. Even if she's not an Aes Sedai, she can definitely do stuff, right.

- Also: I'm quite sure if she's looking for a Warder, you are first in line. If she's looking at Ryne that's probably from some much less important reasons.

You may leave me, now. But I expect to find you ready to go on when I am done. If, that is, Malkieri keep their word as I have been told they do.

- Really, Moiraine you're pushing it definitely too far.

Chapter 21: Some Tricks of the Power

For him, anyway. Ryne twitched and peered wide-eyed at her, fetched and trotted and offered up compliments like a courtier on a leash, still bouncing between enraptured and fearful, and she accepted his subservience and his praise alike as her due while laughing at his witticisms.

- Witticisms? I would rather said half-witticisms.

She seldom let an hour go by without probing questions directed at each of them in turn, till it seemed she wanted to know the entire story of their lives. The woman was like a swarm of blackflies; no matter how many you swatted, there were always more to bite. Even Ryne knew enough to deflect that sort of interrogation. A man’s past belonged to himself and the people who had lived it with him; it was not a matter for gossip with an inquisitive woman.

- Even honorable northerners are able to beat Moiraine in Daes Dae'mar.

Day and night, it seemed every second comment out of his mouth regarded the pledge. Lan began to think the only way to silence the man would be to take oath not to give her the pledge.

- Do it Lan!

The worst storms in spring came from the Blight.

Also: the acid rains.

When the first of those clouds darkened the sky to the north, he began looking for a place where the trees’ branches might be thick enough to afford some shelter, maybe with the aid of blankets stretched overhead, but when Alys realized what he was doing, she said coolly, “There is no need to stop, Master Lan. You are under my protection.”

- I thought it was the other way round.

- In Wheelworld even bandits seems to be overly polite. Anyone miss Bloody Mummers?

“Let’s not be too hasty,” the helmeted man called, removing it to reveal a grizzled head of greasy hair and a narrow, dirty face that had last been touched by a razor a week gone.

Also: Treebeard apparently broke bad.

You might be able to kill two or three of us before we cut you down, but there’s no need for that.

- I would rather say: six or seven. Maybe more. Probably after that you gonna kill Malkieri, but do you really wanna be one of those six?

There was no temptation in the offer. These fellows wanted no casualties among themselves if they could manage it so, but surrender meant that he and Bukama and Ryne would have their throats slit. They probably intended to keep Alys alive until they decided she was a danger.

- Oi Lan, have more trust in people. This are Borderlands, the native land of honor and so.

“I told you she was Aes Sedai, Coy,” whined a fat, balding fellow in a breastplate that was too small for him. “Didn’t I say that, Coy? A Green with her three Warders, I said.”

- Well this bandit is really well educated.

Rather than face the noose, we’ll take our chances on how many you can kill before we take you.

- With Aes Sedai hurling fireballs, lightnings and holy bolts on you? Probably every single one.

- And now Moiraine goes berserk and want to kick some asses. Malkieri are bit skeptical. Fools.

- Anyway Moiraine why are you moaning? Even if they wouldn't attack you directly, you still could stop them with Power in non-harmful way. Ropes of air, holes in a ground, some overly aggressive ponds.

That first night he had sat in the wet to let her know he would accept what she had done. If they were to travel together, better to end it with honors even, as she must see it. Except that she did not.

- Bad communication can kill the cat. Direct talk is better to explain your motives than sitting in a pool.

- Really Moiraine you're acting worse than Elaida.

He could not understand how she managed to make ants crawl into his smallclothes, or make them all bite at once.

- THAT.

- Also: Lan you dumbass! She used magic. If one day she's gonna turn Ryne into polar bear, and make Bukama to dance can-can that would also be the answer. Magic. Is the answer.

Perhaps Edeyn had set the woman to watch him, but it was beginning to seem she meant to kill him after all. Slowly.

- Yeah that make total sense.

Moiraine could not understand the stubbornness of this Lan Mandragoran, though Siuan said that “stubborn” was a redundancy when it came to men. All she wanted was a display of remorse for dunking her. Well, that and an apology. An abject apology. And a proper regard for an Aes Sedai. But he never displayed the slightest scrap of penitence. He was frozen arrogance to the core!

- Bullying is considered as not a proper way to get someone's apologies. In case of exiled princes (and really shouldn't Moiraine recognize name of Malkieri royal house?) it's also extremely ineffective.

His disbelief of her right to the shawl was so plain he might as well have spoken aloud. A part of her admired his fortitude, but only a part. She would bring him properly to heel. Not to tame him utterly − a completely tame man was no use to himself or anyone else − but to make certain he recognized his mistakes right down to his bones.

- Someone could think that Aes Sedai should be above petty revenge. That someone would be wrong.

- Also: I'm quite sure Moiraine gonna bond Lan as Warder (an that's what we are seeing on the e-book cover).

- Secret Aes Sedai weaves: insect manipulation. Careful girls, that's how Hank Pym started.

Even in Cairhien people would talk about themselves, a little, and she had been taught that Borderlanders shunned the Game of Houses, yet they revealed almost nothing about themselves even after she primed their tongues with incidents from her own youth in Cairhien and from the Tower. Ryne at least laughed when the story was funny − once he realized he was supposed to laugh, he did − but Lan and Bukama actually looked embarrassed.

- First, they don't trust you. Second, they don't like you. Third, the best way to win a match with Devil is to refuse playing.

- Also: telling funny anecdotes to draw them out... That's really lame. Petyr Baelish disapproves.

- Also: Random question. Are there any Malkieri Aes Sedai?

That was typical. Those three could have taught Aes Sedai about oblique answers and deflecting questions, too.

- Yeah, some Aes Sedai definitely needs Daes Dae'mar private lessons.

Ravinda also had an inn under construction, the second floor already building, the result of Mistress Sahera receiving the bounty. She intended to call it the White Tower.

“You think the sisters might object?” she said, frowning at the sign already carved and painted and hung above the front door, when Moiraine suggested a change in the name. By the scale, the Tower on the sign would have had to be over a thousand feet high!

- Sisters gonna be delighted.

- Also: so White Tower the highest building in whole universe is shorter than thousand feet? I'm utterly disappointed.

- Is it so surprising that in this semi-medieval or maybe semi-renaissance world woman has ten kids?

Of course, she did not want to kill him. “Master Lan, are you allergic to wasp stings?”

- Not suspicious at all. Really girl who was your teacher of bloody Game. Ned Stark?

- Also: I get that Aes Sedai know about allergies, but I somehow doubt if it's common knowledge around world.

- Oh, someone's shooting. How convenient to Lan that Moiraine decided to mess with him just in time.

Her weaves flashed into being, first of all a clear shield of Air to block any more arrows away from Lan, then one for herself. She could not have said why she wove them in that order.

- Who knows. Maybe you are even decent person despite being Aes Sedai, Cairhienin and Demon-dread.

He had attempted murder, but she had not intended holding him up as a target for execution. He would have been executed, once they had carried him to a magistrate, yet she disliked having been part of carrying out the sentence, especially before it was given. To her mind, it came very near using saidar as a weapon, or making a weapon for men to use in killing. Very near.

- You should be more worried about loosing an opportunity to question the fellow.

“Caniedrin?” Lan said, sounding shocked.

“You know this fellow?” Ryne asked.
“Why?” Bukama growled, and there came the thud of a boot meeting ribs.

- Oh, isn't it one of former Lan's soldiers?

He should have…told me…she’s Aes Sedai…instead of just saying…to kill her first.”

- And you should really trust your employer if you want to become real assassin. Well, no that it's option now.

“He’s dead already,” Ryne said. “Can you Heal that?” He sounded interested in seeing whether she could.

- Ah. Nec-romantic.

A nearly full quiver was fastened to his belt, and two arrows stuck upright in the ground nearby. Apparently, he had been confident he could kill four people with four shots. Even knowing Lan and Bukama, he had thought so. Knowing them, he had disobeyed his instructions and tried to kill Lan first. The most dangerous of them, as he must have thought.

- Dude, Ryne and Bukama shot you down when you were still hidden in those bushes.

- Also: apparently arrows in Wheelworld are much more precise than a real ones. Ah, those alternative physics.

As she studied the man, it came to her that he might tell her a little, even dead.

- "There are things to be learned even from dead" said ser Waymar Royce just before dead folk finally got him.

A handful of silver and copper spilled out. And ten gold crowns. So. The price of her death in Kandor was the same as the price of a silk dress in Tar Valon.

- I would assume twenty. I somehow doubt that this Gorthanes would pay all the money before seeing job done.

“Have you taken to robbing the dead?” Lan asked in that irritatingly cool voice. Just asking, not accusing, but still…!

- For such an experienced warrior you can be a total dumbass, Lan. Then Moiraine also has this problem. You gonna fit each other.

Lan blinked. The man had an arrow pulled out of his body, and he blinked!

- And do not blink! Blink and you're dead.

His old scars remained, the half-healed wounds were now thin pink lines − the stitches that had been on the outside, now loose, slid down his arms and chest; he might have difficulty picking out the rest − but smooth skin marked where the arrowholes had been.

- Is it safe to let all inner part of stitches inside Lan?

In all truth, she had been regretting not searching the saddlebags tied behind the gelding’s saddle.

- Well you have Power. You could use it to stop the bloody horse.

But Lan had shown a surprising touch of kindness. She had not expected any such to be found in him.

- You know all those psychos. They love their pets, they mutilate their neighbours.

She had only two more nights to crack him, after all.

- Try hornets. Or maybe Prussic acid. Duh.

Chapter 22: Keeping Custom

If Canluum was a city of hills, Chachin was a city of mountains. The three highest rose almost a mile even with their peaks sheared off short, and all glittered in the noonday sun with colorful glazed tile roofs and tile-covered palaces. Atop the tallest, the Aesdaishar Palace shone brighter than any other in red and green, the prancing Red Horse flying above its largest dome. Three towered ringwalls surrounded the city, as did a deep drymoat a hundred paces wide spanned by two dozen bridges, each with a fortress hulking at its mouth.

- Little bit like Eyrie only actually possible.

Where in the Light had she found fleas this early in the year? And blackflies! Blackflies should not appear for another month! He was a mass of itching welts. At least she had found no satisfaction in it.

- At least she had found no hornets.

- Oh, they're saying goodbye. Well, thankfully not for long.

Whirling Cat Dancer, he galloped up the wide street scattering people afoot and some mounted. Another time that might have sparked duels. The hadori and the reputation that went with it certainly would not have held back anyone but commoners.

- Ah, I see Borderlanders don't have enough problem with Blight so close. So hey, why not start duels over some pesky, little things.

- Also: Remember. Cities are made by Dark One.

Bukama and Ryne caught him up with the packhorse before he was halfway up the mountain to the Aesdaishar Palace and fell in to either side. If Edeyn was in Chachin, she would be there. Wisely, Bukama and Ryne held their silence. Bukama, at least, knew what he was about to face. Entering the Blight would be much easier. Leaving the Blight alive, at any rate.

- How could Desolation of Dark One even compare to wrath of your ex, huh Lan?

He owed Alys a debt for her Healing, as well as for her torments, though in honor it was only the first he could repay.

- At least you are above pesky revenge.

The great bronze gates, worked with the lacquered Red Horse, stood invitingly open beneath a red-tiled arch that led to the Visitor’s Yard, but a dozen guards stepped out to bar the way when Lan and the others approached.

- Vaes Dothrak - Aesdaishar Palace 1:0

- Also: Aesdaishar sounds bit like Aes Sedai.

- Had any real world warriors used helmets with faceguard shaped like vertical bars?

Worryingly, the shatayan of the palace herself led them. She was a stately, straight-backed woman in livery, graying hair worn in a thick roll on the nape of her neck. The silvered ring of keys at her belt proclaimed that Mistress Romera had charge of all the Palace servants, but a shatayan was more than a servant herself. Usually, only crowned rulers could look for a greeting at the gates from the shatayan.

- Mainservant's title sounds almost as The Dark One true name (and by the way who gives the bastard real name, he's like Anticreator from separate dimension, not Tom Riddle, and how people knows his name if no one speaks it loudly - that's classic Voldemort dilema). Accident? I don't think so.

He was swimming in a sea of other people’s expectations. Men had drowned in seas like that.

- Men also had drowned in your everyday salt water seas. Nothing special.

At any rate, by the time Lan was led away, Ryne was asking among the soldiers whether there were any pretty girls among the serving maids and how he could go about getting his clothes cleaned and pressed. He cared almost as much about his appearance, especially in front of women, young or old, as he did about women themselves.

- Still healthier attitude toward women than Malkieri.

- Also: Ryne you should try add some pronged beard to your belled braids. And you could paint them blue. That would certainly increase your sex appeal.

- Asking questions you already know answers for just because good manners say so.

He found himself wondering where Alys had gone, what she had wanted with him and the others, and tried to shake her out of his head. Even absent, the woman was a cockleburr down the back of his neck.

- Falling slowly.

Come to me, sweetling. Come to me now.

- Run, Lan! Just leave everything and run!

- Crouching lioness? Born to be queen and knows it? Gods, I hope someone gonna kill this woman soon enough.

- All Malkieri big fishes on this party. Cannot be good.

But your coming seems to have rubbed some of your luck off on Diryk. He fell from a balcony this morning, a good fifty feet to the paving stones, without breaking a bone.

- Well that certainly peculiar. Any vision of three-eyed crows?

For himself, at eight he had been learning the ko’di and what he would face when he first entered the Blight. Beginning to learn how to kill with hands and feet.

- Just when you thought that Eddard Stark was bit to harsh for Rickon.

- I must say I have a soft spot for this grand, epic oaths full of big titles. Just like with Dany.

- Also: nice strike Edeyn. Still I hope you'll die.

- So Malkieri monarchy is hereditary but with some election system?

She put a hand over his lips. A warm hand. “Three of the surviving five are in this room, Lan. Shall we ask them how they will cast? What must be, will be.”

- She really thought about everything,

“I would never have given her welcome. If you wish it, I’ll let her know that welcome is withdrawn. Don’t look at me that way, man. I know enough of Malkieri customs not to insult her. She has you neatly nailed into a box I know you would never choose for yourself.” Brys knew less than he thought he did. However delicate the words, withdrawing the welcome would be a deadly insult.

- Well, the woman could definitely take some insults as a good lesson.

He was unsure whether he could avoid leading men in to the Blight, now. Unsure that he wanted to avoid it. All of those men and women remembering Malkier. Malkier deserved remembrance. But at what price?

Price of a Mile?

The two real Aes Sedai flogged her squealing through the village, making her confess her crime to every last man and woman who lived there. Then one of the sisters carried her off to Tar Valon for her true punishment, whatever that might be.

- Wonder what punishment.

- Lan : Edeyn. Round two. I wouldn't count on Lan.

- So, man alone with his first love has to obey her? Who the hell invented this custom? How could you sociologically explain its existence? Who the hell voted for Sierin Vayu?

- Edeyn's like Mrs. Robinson. Only really evil.

“In token of what I owe to you, Edeyn, always and forever.”

- Yeah, terrible debt of one night stand.

- Now she wants him to marry her own daughter. Man, that's really twisted. In a way that's more fucked up than Cersei and Jaime.

- Also: How I Met Your Mother.

Young men were chosen by their carneira; young women chose theirs.

- Is there a right to say: no? And what if there are two chicks fighting over one boy?

“Of course you won’t be reined, sweetling. You are a man, not a boy. Yet you do keep custom,”

- Fuck the custom, Lan! The woman wanna make you to commit near-incest and genocide. Just say 'fuc... well, go away", burn daori, burn your hadori, arrange your hair into braids and join Ryne's khalasar. Or you can even return to Blight, whatever.

But it was to the bed that she led him. At least he would regain some lost ground there, whether or not she took the daori from his hands.

- Ah, so you think a good shag gonna make her remember her evil plans. Dude, I wonder who's really Cersei Lannister here...

Edeyn would never give up all of her advantage. Not until she presented his daori to his bride on his wedding day. And he could see no way to stop that bride being Iselle.

- Run away! Change your identity! Shave your hair! Cut of your nose! Do anything. Or I don't know poison this bitch. Or strangle her with daori. Just don't keep bloody custom, damn you. It's just custom, it's not moral obligation of good and evil. Damn.

- At least Ned Stark get screwed because he believed in truth, honor and not killing little babies, not by some wicked northern dating rules!

Chapter 23: The Evening Star

Moiraine allowed herself a small smile as Lan’s friends galloped after him. If he wanted to be away from her so quickly, then she had made some impression.

- And what? Are you proud of yourself, girl?

A deeper one had to wait.

- Deeper one? After this? What are you wanna do, feed him to bears?

- Welcome in the slums.

As she dismounted in front of the first inn she came to, a dusty-appearing place called The Ruffled Goose, a slat-ribbed yellow dog growled at her, hackles standing, till she flicked it with a fine flow of Air and sent it yelping down the street.

- Moiraine is dick to dogs.

“This place isn’t for the likes of you, my Lady,” he muttered, rubbing a wiry hand across his stubbly cheek. He might have rearranged some dirt.

- Always good time for change of design.

- Also: innkeeper really wants to get rid of possible rich client. Weird.

“I would abandon that notion if I were you,” Moiraine said loudly. “The penalty for horse-theft is flogging if the horse is recovered, and worse if not.”

- How do you prove horse-theft without recovering a horse?

Every Accepted was required to become acquainted with the more common laws of the different nations.

- But not with their ruling houses apparently.

- And now: staring contest.

- Oh, spanking! At least. Also: Doesn't it count as 'using Power as a weapon'?

- Innkeeper poisoning her guests. I'm not sure it's really profitable. Especially in such a rough part of town.

“Drink,” Moiraine commanded, tightening the weave to just short of panic. Trembling, Mistress Satarov was unable to break free from her gaze. “Drink it all.”

- So the Blues have weaves to manipulate human mind. And they are legal! Also: using it to make innkeeper drink poisoned vine, still doesn't count as "using Power as a weapon".

- Also: Satarov sounds almost like Satanov.

A wiry man with a long scar down his face gained a slow smile that never touched his eyes. A heavyset fellow with a blacksmith’s shoulders licked his lips. By twos and threes women began hurrying out into the street, many shrinking back from Moiraine as they passed her. Some of the men went, too. She joined the exodus without looking back. Sometimes justice came from other than laws or swords.

- Like really? Who are you? Frank Castle? You gonna leave it like that?

That was how the rest of her day went, finding the scattered districts where people’s clothes were worn and patched and everyone went afoot.

- Avoiding attempts on your life and property.

It was not that Chachin was any more lawless than other cities, but she was in places where silk clothing and a fur-lined cloak and a fine horse were simply signs that she was ripe for plucking. Had she lost Arrow there, a magistrate might well have said it was her own fault.

- And as we know visiting dwarf pub and asking for little beer is widely considered to be clear method of suicide.

“I thought you might look down here when you came,” Siuan said, taking her elbow to hurry her along. She was wearing the same blue wool riding dress. Moiraine doubted she had even considered spending some of the coin Moiraine had given her on another. “I’ve been haunting these regions looking for you. Let’s get inside before we freeze.”

- So you were randomly visiting bad parts of great city in hope of accidentally meeting her?

How often today had she heard some variation on her being something to be cooked and eaten if she was not careful?

- Indeed, cannibalism is kinda problem so far north, during early spring hungry gap.

“So long as the extra for two is paid,” she added, holding out a hand. Silks and fur were insufficient to bring curtsies from Mistress Tolvina.

- Maybe AK-47 would do.

The Creator made people to walk or go by boat, not be bounced around.

- Then why He didn't give them flippers?

Named him Rahien because she saw the dawn come up over Dragonmount. Talk of the streets. Everybody thinks it a fool reason to name a child.

- Wonder what it means? Dawn over the Dragonmount? Kinda long.

“Have you seen any sign of…of the Black Ajah?” She had to get used to saying that name.

- Yeah, there are signs all over the Kandor, on town walls. WE WERE HERE.

and women who fight duels, even if they do deny it,

- She accidentally fall on my sword! Seven times!

- And here another weird death. Connected or red herring?

I cannot see how to tie that to Meilyn or Tamra. A blacksmith?

- Maybe he was destined to make unbreakable sword for Dragon Reborn. Who knows.

"Siuan, we can go mad thinking we see Black sisters everywhere.”

“We can die from thinking they aren’t there"

- Skepticism or paranoia. As always hard choice.

Chapter 24: Making Use of Invisibility

- Finally, some really useful kind of magic.

Doing up Siuan’s buttons in turn, she tried distracting the other woman by telling her how much the cut of her dress molded her hips and bosom. Well, for a little more than distraction. Siuan deserved a bit of snippiness back.

“It does attract men’s eyes,” Siuan replied. And giggled! She even gave her hips a twitch! Moiraine thought she might spend the whole day sighing.

- Srsly, Siuan is that you?

- Also: I kinda like this swap between Moiraine and Siuan after they gained a shawl.

- Innkeepers, just like tailors, don't give a damn.

- Also: Kandori noblewomen whipping orgies.

“Is Chachin so lawless two women are not safe by daylight?”

- Well, yes it is.

“Even that blacksmith must have staggered, loaded down like a mule,” Siuan muttered, toeing the purses piled between them. “Who could have broken his back that way? Fish guts! Whatever the reason, Moiraine, it must be the Black Ajah.”

- What serious prove do you have beside street-talking? Also: even if guy was evidently killed by One Power that doesn't means that he was killed by Black Ajah. He could be murdered by some wilder. You know young girls wielding Power you missed or send away because she missed some of your tests. Without any non-killing oaths.

On the other hand, an imposing woman gliding by with ivory combs in her hair gave a start, then hiked her skirts to her knees and ran, leaving her two gaping servants to scramble after her through the crowd.

- Now that suspicious. Let ignore it.

That blacksmith must have staggered! No, Siuan was seeing jak o’the mists, that was all.

- Dear, now narration law says it has to be a Black Ajah. Damn.

She intended to violate nearly every rule of propriety between a woman and her seamstress. She tolerated the measuring, since there was no way to hasten it, but Silene’s eyes narrowed at the speed with which she chose fabrics and colors. For a moment it seemed she would refuse to sew what Siuan needed, but Moiraine calmly said she would pay twice the usual rate. The woman’s eyes went almost to slits at the mention of price, yet she nodded. And Moiraine knew she would get what she wanted. Here, at least.

- Here, at least someone broke those goddamn stupid rules.

Silene’s eyes did not narrow at that. They widened, flashing with anger. Her voice became icy. “Impossible. At the end of the month, perhaps. Perhaps later. If I can find time at all. A great many ladies have ordered new gowns. The King of Malkier is visiting the Aesdaishar Palace.”

- At least one small piece of revenge for Lan Mandragoran, even though he is not aware of it.

“The last King of Malkier died twenty-five years ago, Silene.”

- Oh, you gonna be so, so surprised. Well you deserve it for not recognizing Mandragoran name.

You might as well enjoy men looking at you if you’re going to lay your fool head on the chopping block.

- Oh, let her be executed in dignity.

- Also: whatever her plan I doubt it gonna put her in real execution danger.

The King of Malkier? Light! The woman must have thought her a complete fool!

- And she would be absolutely right.

- So Moiraine gonna spy in the palace. Her disguise is her real name.

The Lady Moiraine Damodred, colored slashes marching from the high neck of her dark blue gown to below her knees, was received with all due honor, by an upper servant with silvery keys embroidered behind the Red Horse on his shoulder. The name of House Damodred was known, of course, if not hers, and with Laman dead, any Damodred might ascend to the Sun Throne if another House did not seize it. They could not know how she hoped for that.

- If they knew name of Damodred why they didn't shoot on sight.

No one but the servants so much as glanced at Suki, the Lady Moiraine’s maid.

- And yet another terrible name from Polish perspective.

“All right,” Siuan muttered when the servants finally left them alone in the sitting room, “I admit I’m invisible in this.” Her dark gray dress was fine wool, entirely plain except for collar and cuffs banded in Damodred colors.

- So that's what title was about. I thought they're gonna pool out some real invisibility.

“You, though, stand out like a High Lord pulling oar. Light, I nearly swallowed my tongue when you asked if there were any sisters in the Palace. I’m so nervous I’m starting to get light-headed. It feels hard to breathe.”

“It is the altitude,” Moiraine told her. “You will get used to it. Any visitor would ask about Aes Sedai; you could see, the servants never blinked.”

- Yeah, any visitor would gladly avoid staying in one palace with Aes Sedai.

I do not know why I must keep telling you. A royal palace is not an inn; ‘You may call me Lady Alys’ would satisfy no one, here. That is fact, not opinion. I must be myself.

- Custom can be a powerful weapon against Aes Sedai word tricks.

Every eye in the palace would be on the outland noblewoman from the House that had started the Aiel War.

- Shoot on sight.

And if this Gorthanes was still trying to find her, word of Moiraine Damodred in the Aesdaishar Palace would reach his ears all too soon.

- Unless he is just looking for you two weeks of ride away.

He fell over dead in his breakfast porridge ten days ago

- Terrible way to die.

One of the serving women, a plump gray-haired woman named Aiko, came in just then, to announce that the shatayan had arrived to escort Moiraine to Prince Brys, and was plainly startled to find Suki standing over her mistress and stabbing a finger at her.

- Those southern barbaric customs. Phew.

“Go. The shatayan is waiting for you. And with any luck, a young footman named Cal is waiting for Suki.”

- Wow, Siuan. Who would suspect some devious thinking from you. Puzzles, yes. Deconstructing reality, why not. But seducing... Wow.

- Also: two chapters left and I completely don't feel like in finale part of book. Like really. I know it's going to end with Moiraine bonding Lan as a Warder, because that's what we see on a cover, but beside this I cannot see a way to resolve action of the book, cose I cannot see if and where it's going. Like not at all.

- Damn, Rowling would at least kill some Dumbledore now, to make a proper heat for a final. Well, technically Jordan killed Dumbledore, but he did it in the middle of the book, few months of action ago, and even mysterious burn that killed one possible Dragon Reborn wasn't enough to keep this fire.

- Going this trope, Black Ajah gonna take a shot on this noble would-be-Dragon. Well, that could serve as a finale.

Chapter 25: An Answer

- Well, finally.

The shatayan indeed was waiting, a tall handsome woman, wrapped in dignity and frosty at being made to wait.

- You would be less frosty, ma'am, if you were something more than your dignity.

Any queen who got on the wrong side of a shatayan was a fool, so Moiraine made herself pleasant as the woman escorted her through the halls.

- Really? Couldn't queen dismiss shatayan, and choose someone with more right sides around in that situation?

She thought she made some progress in melting that frost, but it was difficult to concentrate. A young footman? She did not know whether Siuan had ever been with a man, but surely she would not just to reach Ines’ servants! Not a footman!

- In other situation I would be amused, but after all my Daes Dae'mar jokes it would be rather pointless.

- Also: getting laid to gather important information seems (in a weird and improper way) something really Aes Sedai-ish. Anyway, wish you luck Siuan.

Statues and tapestries lined the hallways, most surprising for what she knew of the Borderlands. Marble carvings of women with flowers or children playing, silk weavings of fields of flowers and nobles in gardens and only a few hunting scenes, without a single battle shown anywhere.

- Really? They didn't learn you anything about Border-art in White Tower?

- And here's Ryne and Bukama. And Moiraine still cannot wrap it up with "King of Malkier" gossip.

Moiraine thought she might get a sore neck from looking up; the shortest of the women was taller than Siuan, and they all stood very straight.

- Lack of biological diversity among Wheelworld nations is somehow intriguing.

She cared little for music and less for whoever played the instruments; in Cairhien, musicians were hired and forgotten.

- Poor Marillion.

Obviously some of the sisters were about because of rumors about the man, and others to tighten ties that might have loosened during the Aiel War, to make sure thrones and Houses understood they were still expected to meet their obligations to the Tower, both public and private.

- War is over, and we are back to ordinary bullying.

- Moiraine's Daes Dae'mar sixth sense definitely needs sharpening.

“My father says it was Lan’s luck I wasn’t killed, my Lady,” Diryk said, brightening out of his formality. “Lan is the King of Malkier, and the luckiest man in the world, and the best swordsman. Except for my father, of course.”

- Oh, this is priceless, truly.

“Lan is a king if he wishes it, my Lady,” Brys said. A very odd thing to say, and his doubtful tone made it odder.

- Or rather if Lady Edeyn wishes so.

She had hoped for another meeting with Lan Mandragoran, planned for it, but not here!

- Really? What for? Hornets? Scorpions? Rabid rabbits?

He would, of course, and everyone was full of regret at missing her company and sympathy for the strain traveling must have put on her. Though she did hear one of the women murmur that southlanders must be very delicate.

- And no one noticed she got weirdly sick just after hearing of Lan.

Most of all, though, she wanted herself out of the halls before she ran into Lan Mandragoran.

Worrying about him, she rounded a corner behind the serving girl and came face-to-face with Merean, blue-fringed shawl looped over her arms.

- Great job, Moiraine.

- Also: Merean is ruining Moiraine reputation. Again.

The more she had thought about Cadsuane, the more she had become convinced the woman must be Black Ajah.

- Really? What makes you think so? Some personal resentment?

What surprised her was Larelle. Larelle had seemed bent on reaching Chachin, and without delay. Of course, plans could change, but suddenly Moiraine realized something that should have been obvious. Black sisters could lie. It was impossible − the Oaths could not be broken! − yet it had to be.

- Don't say that's something impossible who doesn't know it's impossible gonna actually do it.

- Also: That's no really surprising. Primo, The Dark One wouldn't have much use from Black Ajah sisters if they were still bounded by Oaths. Magical satanist that cannot lie or murder. Lame. Secundo, it's really logical result of not including the most obvious "I-shall-not-serve-The-Dark-One" oath from White Tower Oath lists. They probably think that demanding such an oath would be rude or something.

“The last I saw her, she said that next time she met you, she’d spank your bottom till you couldn’t sit for a week. She’ll do it, too.”

- Cadsuane is freakin' awesome. I really hope those two gonna meet again in the future.

Everything Merean had just said could have come from one of Tamra’s chosen. Black sisters could lie. Had Larelle changed her mind about Chachin?

- No one said it's gonna be easy.

Shockingly, the reply came back that Lord Mandragoran had no wish to speak with any Aes Sedai. The gray-haired woman looked scandalized, but closed the door firmly.

- Yay, Lan! Good for you! Although you should be at least so assertive with your girlfriends.

- Moiraine stops caring about good manners. At least.

They simply stared at Moiraine until she raised a questioning eyebrow. Then the gray-haired woman pointed to one of the two doors leading deeper into the apartments.

- Thank Light she didn't raised this other eyebrow.

And the wounds she had Healed him of had been replaced by…. Claw marks from some wild animal on his back? Or marks left by a woman. Could this cold man actually inspire such passion in a woman that she would….

- Maybe she just like giving the pain.

Let him have as many women as he wished, so long as he did what she wished.

- Obedient slave deserves his reward.

So you are Aes Sedai and a Damodred today.

- That's almost like The Dark One.

Oddly, what appeared to be a cord woven of hair was tied around the inner handle in an elaborate knot.

- I suppose that's why he hasn't left his room lately.

For one thing, you are much too tall, and for another, I prefer men with at least a modicum of charm. And manners.

- I don't remember Ryne's height being any problem...

There was a pledge made, and held since the War of the Hundred Years, that Malkier would ride when the White Tower called. I am Aes Sedai, and I call you!

- I'm quite sure White Tower doesn't equals some random single Aes Sedai.

“You know the hills are high, but not how they lie,”

- I don't know what's this saying about, but it sounds so, so cool.

He did not seem to feel anything of the kind. For the first time since she had met him, he met her eyes directly, and his stare was blue ice.

- Run, Moiraine! The Others got him!

- Oh, so that's why Lan doesn't likes Aes Sedai. Now it all makes sense.

The answer he wanted was Sealed to the Tower, taught to Accepted in history lessons yet forbidden to any except initiates of the Tower.

- And what about Accepted that was expelled for bad behavior or failed test and survived? They just leave the Tower with all learnt secrets in their heads?

- Oh, so White Tower sent sisters to Malkier but they were too lat. Cose you know, Blight was just so close, and White Tower not so much. Such a dark and terrible secret. Such shame!

Better that the Tower be thought to have done nothing than to have it known Aes Sedai had tried and failed. Failure was a blow to stature, and mystery an armor the Tower needed.

- No, it isn't any better. And I really hope this sick attitude gonna seriously bite White Tower right back in its dungeons.

- Also: if Malkier is dead only quarter of century that means there should be some Malkieri Aes Sedai alive and kicking.

- Eh, poor Lan.

She very much wanted time alone with this man, to bring him to heel, but that had to wait.

- Well I suppose there's line for it.

In spite of herself, she sniffed. The man promised help, then looked anxiously for his lady. Perhaps he was not what she had thought.

- And really you should refresh all those lessons about Malkieri custom and culture.

God bless your insane ramblings. God bless them one and all

Sir, I'm deeply touched.

Chapter 25: An Answer (Finale)

- So, this is Edeyn's daughter? Run Lan, for Light's sake, run as fast as you can!

“If that is so, I need your assistance. I wish to go to the White Tower.”

- Oh, dear.

My mother wants me to marry. I would not mind Lan as my carneira if Mother were not already his, but when I marry, I think it will be one of my Warders. I will be Green Ajah.

- Well the girl is terrible, but at least she has enough sense to see how sick this marriage would be...

- And who knows, maybe she would even managed to become Green Ajah. They are quite rough, aren't they.

Invited to take a chair in her own sitting room. This silly child was certainly a suitable match for Lan when it came to arrogance.

- That's really unfair, Moiraine. Lan was never even near to Iselle.

- Still, I have to say, there's a bit of schadenfreude for me reading how Moiraine is quite helpless about someone who doesn't cares about her social position, because Malkieri princess beats all southern half-wits that's why.

Her carneira? That meant “first” in the Old Tongue, and plainly something else here. Not what it seemed to, of course; even these Malkieri could not be that peculiar!

- Peculiar!? Says a girl who cannot loudly say "procreate" without getting a stroke.

- Iselle's mother prefers her to be a Queen of freaking Satan's Pit rather than really strong Aes Sedai? Like Cersei, this woman seems to be cold, Machiavellian mind but when you look carefully she's just really batshit crazy.

“That one,” Siuan said as she came back dusting her hands, “won’t last a month if she can equal Cadsuane.”

- Indeed. But still it would be a sweet mess.

“Sierin herself can toss her from the top of the Tower for all I care,” Moiraine snapped.

- And where is Black Ajah when you need it?

Why are you looking at me that way? I only kissed him, Moiraine. Have you kissed a pretty man since young Cormanes the night before you left for the Tower?

- There are things one talk about...

A man who claims the throne of a dead country is nine kinds of fool.

- Actually Lan's the tenth kind.

“He is many kinds of fool, Siuan, but I do not think he ever ‘flaps his tongue.’

- I think we should ask Lady Edeyn about it.

Moiraine hoped matters were not going to proceed beyond kissing. Siuan’s business if it did, but that sort of thing was foolish. Especially with a footman!

- So, footmen are more dangerous lovers than soldiers, nobles or blacksmiths?

“Anyway,” Siuan went on, beginning to make a bundle of clothes and stockings, “I led Cal to believe I’d been dismissed from your service for spilling wine on your dress, and he’s offered me a bed with the Lady Ines’ servants. He thinks he might be able to get me a place with his lady.”

- I really wish to see how you did it without open lie.

One of these days, you’re going to find yourself ready to do more than dream about some man, and I hope I’m there to see it!

- Like sneaking and spying through the keyhole? Or hiding under the bed? I didn't know Siuan is up to such things.

The task in front of them was too important to spare thoughts for men.

- So maybe stop trying to make The Man Who Would Be King your lapdog.

Merean had spent all day with Brys? Without going near Lady Ines? One of Tamra’s chosen or Black Ajah, that made no sense, and it went beyond credibility to believe Merean was not one or the other.

- She's respected, experienced Aes Sedai, close associate of former Amyrlin. Is it really so strange she's now visiting royal palaces?

- Still. I wonder that Moiraine and Siuan don't have any bad feelings about Merean being Black Ajah, while she was basically mother-figure for them before getting the shawl. I thought they really like her.

Archived