Jamie.. Favorite anti-hero?

CahoonFamily

Just voted for the people's choice awards and in the favorite antihero category I voted for Jamie Lannister with no hesitation. Afterwards I told my husband who wondered why I didn't vote for Walter White from Breaking Bad, but my husband has not read the books yet, only watched the show so he can't understand that while Jamie and Walter White are both pretty terrible people, Jamie is now on a path to somewhat redemption. To which my husband replies "He pushed a kid out a window, how do you get beyond that?" I don't know why I like Jamie, but I do, which maybe says more about me than I care to dig into. Any other confused Jamie fans?

Cate

I never understood why he gets so much flack for that. The unsullied I can, but not book readers. Even Ned doesn't blame him for it and actually thinks that he might have done the same thing.

But regardless, w/out that action Bran never would have opened his third eye. If he's as instrumental in the defeat of the others like Jojen thinks Jaime might be the perfect anti-hero since that terrible thing he did was actually the moment that Westeros had the ability to be saved.

I actually really hope that Jaime is the last remaining Lannister. He is a very well written anti-hero, as one does not simply sympathize with a well written anti-hero. He has done enough to be hated, but I wonder if he would be viewed differently if we had Jaime POV's since the beginning instead of having him be cast in the light of others.

I actually really hope that Jaime is the last remaining Lannister. He is a very well written anti-hero, as one does not simply sympathize with a well written anti-hero. He has done enough to be hated, but I wonder if he would be viewed differently if we had Jaime POV's since the beginning instead of having him be cast in the light of others.

I agree, he definitely comes off worse in other POV's, but has everything he's done really so much worse than what other people have done? Granted pushing Bran out the window was not his high point. Once you actually know Jamie's reasons for doing things that he is now hated for though it does change your perspective and feelings. I think Jamie has an important part to play and could end up being one of the true heroes.

Whose father (the most honorable man in Westeros) said he'd probably do the same. This is a different world.

He did not, in fact, say he'd probably do the same. He says he doesn't know what he'd do. And it's later in this same conversation that he makes the fateful attempt to protect children who are not his own, ultimately at great cost to himself and his own children.

I hate Jamie. Everyone loves him for some reason yet he has barely done anything to redeem himself. He comes home to his bitch of a sister and instead of just NOT fucking her he becomes her pawn. Oh and he eases his conscience by giving responsibility for Sansa's safety to someone else. YAY! Our hero everyone.

BTW my favourite is Theon. He has actually done something and suffered for his actions. Oh and don't say Jamie lost his hand. Theon lost his dick. There is no comparison.

Whose father (the most honorable man in Westeros) said he'd probably do the same. This is a different world.

When did Ned say that he would also push a little child to his death to cover up his incestual, secret affair with the King's wife? I don't recall reading that in the books.

Also, Walter White is a better anti-hero and far better written character than Jaime Lannister.

WW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jaime Lannister

I hate Jamie. Everyone loves him for some reason yet he has barely done anything to redeem himself. He comes home to his bitch of a sister and instead of just NOT fucking her he becomes her pawn. Oh and he eases his conscience by giving responsibility for Sansa's safety to someone else. YAY! Our hero everyone.

BTW my favourite is Theon. He has actually done something and suffered for his actions. Oh and don't say Jamie lost his hand. Theon lost his dick. There is no comparison.

True, true. A hand does not compare with schlong. But riddle me this, Theon can't use his cuz he doesn't have one but Jaime still has his but was a righty! So now Jaime has to learn to play with himself with his other hand! HOW TRAGIC IS THAT!

True, true. A hand does not compare with schlong. But riddle me this, Theon can't use his cuz he doesn't have one but Jaime still has his but was a righty! So now Jaime has to learn to play with himself with his other hand! HOW TRAGIC IS THAT!

Well I wouldn't know about it being 'tragic'. You have to mix it up otherwise you get cramp, I am sure you can imagine the pain, so i've become somewhat multi handed over the years.

When did Ned say that he would also push a little child to his death to cover up his incestual, secret affair with the King's wife? I don't recall reading that in the books.

Also, Walter White is a better anti-hero and far better written character than Jaime Lannister.

WW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jaime Lannister

WW is not an anti-hero, at least post season 1, and probably not at all. He very narrowly exists within the definition and ONLY because he is a main character. Anti-heroes tend to have some moderately redeeming quality where WW has none. Even the shows creator points out that the purpose of the show was to take him from an anti-hero to a pure villain (scarface ark). You can look to comics for the difference between an anti-hero and a true villain. Calling WW an anti-hero is the equivalent of saying that if LOTR were written from Sauromon's perspective that he was the hero. Sure according to a narrow definition it would be true, but its the spirit of the law not the letter that should define it.

Archived