stannis will make a good hand for danny or jon

John Hulboy

Stan the Man, Dagon, I concede. It is just speculation on my part that his internal claim has changed. I remember some other things, like Stannis not being a fan of the gods and his dismissive attitude about the fire sword. But like Dagon agrees, he is starting to buy it, he just has his cold, logical doubts. We can agree he isn't going to be anyone's hand though, correct?

That is the last statement i suppose we will hear from Stannis. You do know Selyse is a nutjob and i think his treatment of Selyse is fair.

If he believes her to be a nutjob then why did he take her counsel in the Prologue of ACoK against that of Maester Cressen, the man who even Stannis admits had been like a father to him? Selyse is also still his wife, and yet he calls her "woman" to her face when addressing her several times. Stannis would not be alone in saying Westeros needs a man to set things to right not a woman, many lords would probably agree with that sentiment.

His wife says him bedding another women is fine for the purposes of Lord of Light.

Where is it stated in the text that Selyse knows about Stannis and Mel bumping uglies?

Stan the Man, Dagon, I concede. It is just speculation on my part that his internal claim has changed. I remember some other things, like Stannis not being a fan of the gods and his dismissive attitude about the fire sword. But like Dagon agrees, he is starting to buy it, he just has his cold, logical doubts. We can agree he isn't going to be anyone's hand though, correct?

Yea, I think at this point he needs to believe in it. Regardless of whether or not he really does.

And yea, I think it's like some here have said, he'll either be King, or die trying. (He would make a good Hand though.)

Where is it stated in the text that Selyse knows about Stannis and Mel bumping uglies?

If I remember correctly it is never addressed in the books but in the TV show there's a scene where Stannis tries to confess his sins to his wife but can't get the words out and Selyse helps him out by saying she knows what he did and she's proud or something along those lines.

If I remember correctly it is never addressed in the books but in the TV show there's a scene where Stannis tries to confess his sins to his wife but can't get the words out and Selyse helps him out by saying she knows what he did and she's proud or something along those lines.

The show isn't counted as canon.

If he believes her to be a nutjob then why did he take her counsel in the Prologue of ACoK against that of Maester Cressen, the man who even Stannis admits had been like a father to him? Selyse is also still his wife, and yet he calls her "woman" to her face when addressing her several times. Stannis would not be alone in saying Westeros needs a man to set things to right not a woman, many lords would probably agree with that sentiment.

So thats why you want Dany to win. I still don't believe Stannis would ever say that. He named Shireen as his heir, if he thought that Westeros needed a man why would he do that?

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."

The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "
" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."
Ser Justin put one hand on his sword hilt. "On my honor as a knight, you have my word."

Your concern here seems unfounded.

The commonality that all three characters share is that they are all missing part of the truth ... in Jon's case, most of it. ...It would be interesting to see how they would react with certain knowledge.... would Dany discovering that her Dad was a psycho alter her opinion of the "Usurpers?" .... would Stannis with all of his honor step aside to guide Jon upon learning of his parentage? ... and how would Jon react?

We can all speculate, but in truth it could go many ways

So thats why you want Dany to win.

Where have I ever stated that? I never said I wanted Dany to win, nor do I think she will in the end. You are arguing a straw man.

I still don't believe Stannis would ever say that. He named Shireen as his heir, if he thought that Westeros needed a man why would he do that?

Your concern here seems unfounded.

Shireen is his only child, and he is not the man to let the Lannisters win, even in death. Again, not many lords would have done differently in Stannis's position.

Shireen is his only child, he is not the man to let the Lannisters win, even in death. Again, not many lords would have done differently in Stannis's position.

Well he can still legitimize the bastards if he so believed that a "man" should rule westeros. But he didn't, he named his daughter as his heir.

Well he can still legitimize the bastards if he so believed that a "man" should rule westeros. But he didn't, he named his daughter as his heir.

Naming his only daughter his doesn't mean he doesn't harbor any likely traditional sexist attitudes. The last bastard he had he tried to burn, and the other bastards are outside of his reach and ignorant of their heritage, so Shireen is the more practical course.

He thinks a grown man should rule, not a boy or woman and it should be him, especially given the male primogeniture tradition of Westerosi society. He even states that Rhaenyra was traitor for usurping her brother Aegon II, even though he likely knows that Viserys I named Rhaenyra his heir in his will and proclamation.

That got me. Good one. Stannis does not claim kingship through Robert's lineage at this point. He does so because he believes it is prophecy, the red god and all, and thinks he is the only one that can defeat the others. He won't give a flying dragon dropping about dany or targ rights, R+L=J, three heads are better than one or any of that. He will be King. Or he will be Killed. That is the Stannis bottom-line.

Until one of those flying dragon droppings falls on his head :)

The show isn't counted as canon.

People need to learn how to read. I was merely stating where he/she got it from. I wasn't making any claims about canon just clarifying where the person got the idea from that Selyse knows and approves. Since some people get the TV show and books confused at times and understandably so, I figured I'd help out. Sheesh!

People need to learn how to read. I was merely stating where he/she got it from. I wasn't making any claims about canon just clarifying where the person got the idea from that Selyse knows and approves. Since some people get the TV show and books confused at times and understandably so, I figured I'd help out. Sheesh!

Yes you did the correct thing. Don't mind what other's say.

Archived