Role in WoW: Jon Snow (Spoilers):

Ours if the Fury

I just believe he'll be Jon again by the end, whether he stays in his body and is in a terrible way for a while (like we're about to see in the show, looks like he's ill longer than in ASoS), or is in Ghost while Melisandre finds him and is trying to save his body.

I agree with theories he might spend a long time in ghost though as Melisandre seeks out Thoros and Stoneheart. I have visions of him being carried by Wun Wun like Hodor carries Bran.

After re-reading the final Jon chapter over again it is plausible that Jon is actually experiencing Ghost being killed and because of the ties between the two he is feeling Ghost's pain as his own (quite a radical thought but something GRRM could play out). Highly doubt Jon is dead, though if he was the recipient of the attacks himself then Jon being severely injured or in a coma is an easy out for him to stay out of the battle for the North for a while. Can't see him receiving any sort of magical transformation into unJon or being healed by Melisandre - too predictable for GRRM IMO. It is very possible that WoW could see Jon limited to a lip-service role where he is only referred to being in a coma and only having one POV to wake up near the end of the book.

Ok, I created this account just so that I could comment on this post. I like a lot of what I have heard on here, there are a lot of good theories. One thing that I think that people are missing on this forum is Bran's role. There are some good theories about how he will help Jon while he is dead and warged into Ghost, which I agree with, but I also think that it will be Bran that tells Jon who his parents are, not Howland Reed. Now that Bran has all this source of knowledge, I think that he will be able to let Jon know about these things. Now one thing that I am less certain of, but it is a theory that I like, is what role Bran will play beyond that. I think that now that Bran is the most knowledgeable person in the Game of Thrones, he is also the most powerful. Depending on how much Bran is able to do, I think that he will be able to make things happen and put who he wants on the Iron Throne. Who do I think Bran will sit on the Iron Throne? Who better than his cousin, Jon? Just a thought.

Ok, I created this account just so that I could comment on this post. I like a lot of what I have heard on here, there are a lot of good theories. One thing that I think that people are missing on this forum is Bran's role. There are some good theories about how he will help Jon while he is dead and warged into Ghost, which I agree with, but I also think that it will be Bran that tells Jon who his parents are, not Howland Reed. Now that Bran has all this source of knowledge, I think that he will be able to let Jon know about these things. Now one thing that I am less certain of, but it is a theory that I like, is what role Bran will play beyond that. I think that now that Bran is the most knowledgeable person in the Game of Thrones, he is also the most powerful. Depending on how much Bran is able to do, I think that he will be able to make things happen and put who he wants on the Iron Throne. Who do I think Bran will sit on the Iron Throne? Who better than his cousin, Jon? Just a thought.

Been a while since I posted anything, want to congratulate all on some excellent discussion and many points I hadn't yet considered. I agree with much of the above and think Bran will tell Jon of his parentage, gain the most knowledge and indeed be the most powerful person in Got. How I think it might go down in the north.......

I think Jon is dead physically. He will warg ghost to keep his spirit alive, we will not know this yet as I do not think we will see a POV from Jon for most of twow as GrrM will want to keep us guessing dead or no. After the melee following his death I'm picking all hell to break loose at the wall in a massive battle nw v wildlings v queens men. Somehow he will find himself in cold storage, perhaps at mel's command? maybe in a stone meat locker filled with salt?? This bring's Bran's vision to fruition I think.

I believe from that last Jon chapter that the others are upon them. I think Sam's horn may be the horn of Jormund. By blowing it on the fist of the first men (even though it made no sound) he may have inadvertently brought down the magic barrier keeping the others out. I don't think the wall actually needs to physically come down or is a real barrier to the others. It's more about the magic barrier and the ww will simply walk round the end through the sea, or perhaps under or over. I also think that the falling of the wall shadows the destruction of the nights watch. The wall and the nw go hand in hand and perhaps the unseen fall of the wall has brought a madness that caused the mutiny's in the nw. Jon's murder will spark the battle between nw, wildlings and queens men rendering them usless as the ww arrive. Survivors will flee south including Mel. A POV from Sam at the citadel might show them realizing what the horn is as he shows it to the maesters, or reads about it, then realizing he has already blown it?? Literally.

While Jon is dead ghost will be drawn by his brother north of the wall, fleeing the nw massacre. We will see this in a Bran POV somehow. I believe Bran will have learned Jon's secret by looking back through archived weirwood footage. He also will learn to project himself and warg anything. He will warg crow's and will travel north, and we will see more of the land of always winter as promised. While in the never Bran and Jon will meet. Bran will tell Jon and us of his heritage, and we will realize he is still alive spiritually. This will happen towards the end of twow I'm guessing. Bran will tell Jon of all that has happened and is happening in the south and send him back to bring vengeance for Stark and peace to the realm (to corny perhaps). Bran will become Jon's source of knowledge and council, similar to the role of Vary's for Aegon and Tyrion for Danerys. He will walk beside him as a wolf, and communicate through weirwoods?? 3 heads of the dragon...

Meanwhile at Winterfell, Stannis and the Manderly forces will do as mentioned elsewhere. Manderly forces will turn on the Freys (all freys must die!) and join with Stannis. The bastard and his forces will be destroyed. The bastard may be captured by Stannis then killed by Theon who is saved as Bran intervene's at his execution?? Manderly + Stannis men dressed as Freys will fool Roose Bolton and get into Castle. Battle will ensue, Roose will escape and high tale it for the dreadfort and will meet his end at the hands of the southerly advancing ww army. Might see him again as a wight? Stannis will learn of Davos and the stark children. Mel and co will get to Winterfell ahead of ww and warn of their advance stopping Stannis from chasing Roose and marching back north. Somehow I think Stannis will be mortally wounded fighting northmen or others?? This will cause Mel to realize her mistake that Jon is infact AA. Perhaps Howland will show up or while spending time in the tombs she will also discover Jon's parentage?? Putting 2 and 2 together she takes a dying Stannis back to the wall evading ww. She finds ghost, back from his trip north, with Jon's body where she left it? and uses the king's blood to wake the stone dragon aka Jon, and AA is reborn. Jon's flaming sword may be tempered in Mel's blood??she may sacrifice for him?? Davos and Rickon will show up at the head of a force of Skagos. Jon Snow aka Stark aka Targaryen aka AA reborn aka stone dragon aka the prince promised etc etc will unite what's left of the north, nw, wildlings, gueens and kings men, Davos + Skagos etc and prepare to battle the others for the realm. And about there twow will end.

Think this meets all the visions and predictions, hope I haven't spoiled anything for you all if I'm at all correct or not. But I guess you wouldn't be reading this discussion if that was a concern of yours.

I am pretty sure that Jon is dead. He had to die ever since they made him 998 LC for purely symbolic/literary reasons. I had originally thought that he would be LC someday back in GOT. I thought it would be 999th or 1000th. 998 isn't where the watch is going in the series. Maybe it was b/c I read the books around y2k or something but I think the wall will fall at the millennium of LCs.

Vlad 6 skins prologue told us Jon is going into Ghost. That and Ghosts name told us that.

Past that I am unsure if he is going to resurrected. I think it would be a shame if he wasn't resurrected, but I don't think that you can say he didn't serve a purpose. If he dies his arc is complete he is the man who saved the wildlings and brought them through the wall at least partially integrating them into the rest of humanity. That will prove to be important for the endgame.

I am rooting for Jon to be reborn though.

I don't buy into the Warg or resurrection theories, I personally believe Jon is alive. I think Melisandre will leave for the Knightfort with a badly injured Jon, as Castle Black falls into chaos between the Wildlings & the Watch. She will heal Jon, but not in the same way Moqorro did with Victarion. At the Nightfort he will run into Theon who Stannis will have sent North & learn of Bran & Rickons real fate.With the Watch believing he is dead, Jon will be free to head south & rally to Manderley or Stannis if Stannis is alive.

Jon will defeat Ramsey, but at the cost of abandoning the Wall at its most vulnerable state. Daenerys will bring down the Wall & Jon, Stannis & Rickon will march there remaining forces against the WW, sending Crows south to plead for help.

What an excellent reason to join the forum! :D Welcome!

Yes, some people right now are so hyped up by the thought of Howland Reed appearing ( :lol: ) that they think he'll be the one to break the news to Jon, but I don't think that's going to be it, either. It's certainly possible, but like you I'm expecting Bran to visit Jon when he's asleep (he did so already before) and inform Jon.

There's actually something in AGoT, Bran's last chapter:

“I dreamed about the crow again last night. The one with three eyes. He flew into my bedchamber and told me to come with him, so I did. We went down to the crypts. Father was there, and we talked. He was sad.”

“And why was that?” Luwin peered through his tube.

“It was something to do about Jon, I think.” The dream had been deeply disturbing, more so than any of the other crow dreams.

Some think of it being too HP/Dumbledore-like, but there's a possibility that Ned did manage to tell Bran about Jon - remember he wanted to write Jon a letter from the Black Cells? - and so Bran already knows where he comes from, but Bloodraven might for now have taken the memories from him, like he did when Bran was pushed out of a window by Jaime and he 'couldn't remember'.

As for what's next in line for Bran? Exploring the Lands of Always Winter, I think. It's been said that we'll learn more about the Others and Bran is in a perfect position to be our POV for that, I hope. There's not going to be any new POVs but the prologue and epilogue, so a known POV is more likely to teach us a few things and Bran gets my vote. ;)

If Jon is ever going to be near or sit the IT I do not know (I'm not sure I want him there, he's of the North), but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that, if at all possible, Bloodraven might try to manoeuvre him there (also Dany?). That guy seemed to have done his utter best to make sure the Blackfyres were defeated and the Targs stayed strong and look how his family's dynasty is in crumbles right now.

I think that Bran's role will go far beyond just exploring the Lands of Always Winter. I think that this will be a role for Bran, but he won't stop there. He is still the same boy that dreamed of being a knight and changing the world. He is still the boy that was annoyed that he was left behind when his brother rode off to war in the south. Bran does not like sitting out of things and if he can avoid it, he won't. I don't think the three eyed crow will want him to be meddling in what goes on in Westeros, but that won't stop Bran. He is still going to be a biased observer and once he notices that he can do more than just observe, that he can influence events, he will jump at that opportunity. Knowing that he will intervene, the question becomes for whom? That is why I think that Jon has a shot at the Iron Throne. Not because I want him there or even because Jon wants it. I think that Bran would want it and see it as the "right" thing once he learns about Jon's lineage. And, as I said earlier, now that Bran is the most knowledgeable/powerful person playing the game of thrones, I would bet on him getting what he wants.

As far as other theories go, I try to avoid buying into any theories that go into too much detail

I think that Bran's role will go far beyond just exploring the Lands of Always Winter. I think that this will be a role for Bran, but he won't stop there. He is still the same boy that dreamed of being a knight and changing the world. He is still the boy that was annoyed that he was left behind when his brother rode off to war in the south. Bran does not like sitting out of things and if he can avoid it, he won't. I don't think the three eyed crow will want him to be meddling in what goes on in Westeros, but that won't stop Bran. He is still going to be a biased observer and once he notices that he can do more than just observe, that he can influence events, he will jump at that opportunity. Knowing that he will intervene, the question becomes for whom? That is why I think that Jon has a shot at the Iron Throne. Not because I want him there or even because Jon wants it. I think that Bran would want it and see it as the "right" thing once he learns about Jon's lineage. And, as I said earlier, now that Bran is the most knowledgeable/powerful person playing the game of thrones, I would bet on him getting what he wants.

As far as other theories go, I try to avoid buying into any theories that go into too much detail

Hmm, I would not name Bran the most powerful person playing the game, as Brynden Rivers is still alive, and we don't really know exactly yet what the strengths and limitations are of being in a tree, I think.

I hope we'll see some nice chapters of Bran in the next book(s), but I guess for the moment I see him only used if it's time to reveal information (Jon's parentage, Lands of Always Winter.)

We'll see. Hopefully next year. ;)

With it looking like Stannis won't take on that role, I'm betting for Jon becoming the Night King version 2.0. I think it's far more likely that Jon and Dany are going to become the threat that Westeros needs saving from than the ones that are going to save it.

Only if you truly believe something as silly as an app will confirm to you that he's really dead.

And in the ~3 month UnCat would need at the very least to the Wall, what would happen to Jon's corpse? Being burned, that's what would happen.

:agree: It's rather GRRM-like.

1. Bran - Game
Ser Jaime throws him of a tower. Dead by impact.

2. Arya - Game
Yoren goes for her face with a blade, she fights him unsuccessfully. A cut throat, dead. Her last chapter in the book.

3. Bran - Clash
Theon knows where Bran and company are hiding. He will show no mercy. 200 pages before Bran is confirmed alive.

4. Jaime - Clash
Insults Cat repeatedly. Cat demands a sword. Last chapter in the book.

5. Davos - Clash
Drifts into the burning chain. Last chapter in the book.

6. Theon - Clash
Is on the losing end of the Battle of Winterfell turning into wholesale slaughter. Won't be seen for two books.

7. Jaime - Storm
Vargo Hoat sends a message to Lord Tywin. An arakh descends.

8. Cat - Storm
Red Wedding.. Well, she actually dies. Not the end of her story though.

9. Arya - Storm
The Hound's axe took her in the back of the head.

10. Davos - Storm
Stannis is ready to take his head off.

10a. Arya - Feast
Not dead, but blinded. Last chapter in the book.

11. Brienne - Feast
Hanged. Last chapter in the book.

12. Tyrion - Dance
Drowns in the Rhoyne.

13. Davos - Dance
Lord Manderly orders him executed. Was backed up in Feast.

14. Asha - Dance
Finishing blow with an axe.

15. Theon - Dance
Rowan promised to kill him after visiting "Abel".

16. Theon - Dance
Jumps down a 40-foot wall.

17. Jon - Dance
Gets caesared. Last chapter of the book.

So, 17 cases of a PoV character dying at the end of their chapter. Five of them at the end of the book. All presently alive and back in action, except Jon.

Source: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98042-winds-of-winter-jon-snow-theory/#entry5031382

Archived