Penny Dreadful, Showtime's Victorian Horror Show

Sci-2

I have loved these first 2 episodes... but I'm not sure what the hell is going on... I know that Madame Kali has her pubes in a knot with Vanessa... but do we know why?... am I missing something?...

I don't think the show has come close to the revelation of Proteus in the first episode, that was beautiful, but it's still been enjoyable. It seems to skirt on the edge of greatness at times but then pulls away back to a more standard creature feature, like it doesn't want to become too artsy or pretentious. Is a shame because there's obviously some very talented people making this.

Madame Kali knows what's inside Vanessa, she's looking to serve her master. Plus a subtext of jealousy. The mystery is why Venessa, who faced down vampires without flinching, is so shit scared of a few witches.

I think the show HAS hit greatness a few times. The scene in the first episode with Frankenstein and Caliban bringing Brona back to life, the camera following the cracking electricity, and the two men screaming NOW! NOW! NOW! in unison showing how connected they are was brilliant; and then of course her rising up from the water and her frightened face.

I also think the Momento Mori scene was pretty genius, every facial expression, every turn of the head and movement was marked by the subtle score and the dialogue was pretty fantastic. I just kept noticing how menacing the whole thing was, obviously the puppet scene in ep 2 was more outwardly creepy and horrifying but the camera work winding through the corridors to the eerie Unquiet Grave to find Kali bathing in blood and then the shot of the room with all the skulls and bones was just amazing stuff.

I think the show HAS hit greatness a few times. The scene in the first episode with Frankenstein and Caliban bringing Brona back to life, the camera following the cracking electricity, and the two men screaming NOW! NOW! NOW! in unison showing how connected they are was brilliant; and then of course her rising up from the water and her frightened face.

I also think the Momento Mori scene was pretty genius, every facial expression, every turn of the head and movement was marked by the subtle score and the dialogue was pretty fantastic. I just kept noticing how menacing the whole thing was, obviously the puppet scene in ep 2 was more outwardly creepy and horrifying but the camera work winding through the corridors to the eerie Unquiet Grave to find Kali bathing in blood and then the shot of the room with all the skulls and bones was just amazing stuff.

I liked that scene too. I enjoy the riffing from classic movies, the overhead fade through the skylight (straight from Citizen Kane). The manic pulling of levers and arcing electic bolts, from every Frankanstein movie you've ever seen. It's loads of fun, and the doll scene was creepy, but none of this surprises me or makes feel the way I did when Proteus was first revealed, a sense that they'd hit another level of near greatness. That scene was quiet, beautiful and creepy all at once, they haven't come close since IMO.

It wasn't just the taking from other Frankenstein movies, it was them shouting in unison and showing how connected they are. Vanessa and Ethan have literal inner demons scratching to get out, Malcolm has his own personal demons and feelings of guilt, anger and grief and then Caliban is Frankenstein's physical manifestation of his personal demons, except he's a physical creature constantly battling Frankenstein where he can see him. I don't know what's more frightening, to have Caliban constantly by your side and hounding you down, or to have the inner demons of Vanessa or Ethan. I think the show has handled this all brilliantly. I also think the interaction between the characters is something precious; the way everyone is so gentle and protective but also in awe and admiration of Vanessa Ives is great. The camera work, acting, scenery, locations and music score all work together so well to make this feel very complete and very, very good. We all get different things out of it though, that's fair enough. I certainly don't think it's ''perfect'' but it really is my favourite show on TV right now, I've rewatched both episodes a ridiculous mount of times already just seeing new things each time.

Eva Green is so spellbinding. I love her.

So I've really enjoyed the first two so far, but what's up with Dorian? So far in season 2 it still feels like Dorian's character is out of place and has little-to-nothing to do with the rest of the plot*. He's a pretty boy who is down for whatever sexually; fine. But what does it have to do with anything else that's going on? I'm hoping that changes soon because I would hope they've planned something and I find all of the other character's stories interesting. I feel like the actor is fine and just isn't being given much with the role yet.

*just like in season 1

So I've really enjoyed the first two so far, but what's up with Dorian? So far in season 2 it still feels like Dorian's character is out of place and has little-to-nothing to do with the rest of the plot*. He's a pretty boy who is down for whatever sexually; fine. But what does it have to do with anything else that's going on? I'm hoping that changes soon because I would hope they've planned something and I find all of the other character's stories interesting. I feel like the actor is fine and just isn't being given much with the role yet.

*just like in season 1

I used to really, really like this character and still do; but I've turned into a shameless shipper of Ethan and Vanessa and I don't want him getting in the way god dammit.

*just like in season 1

Yeah Dorain is the odd man out. He doesn't fit within the group; he was never brought in the same way Ethan was. Obviously, being Dorian Grey there is more to him than meets the eye, but the writers haven't really explored that and how it might help or hinder the group at large.

I used to really, really like this character and still do; but I've turned into a shameless shipper of Ethan and Vanessa and I don't want him getting in the way god dammit.

SAME.

Archived