Penny Dreadful, Showtime's Victorian Horror Show

Sci-2

Finally got around to watching the pilot and I'm left wondering why the hell I didn't watch this sooner. Hopefully the show continues to be as polished throughout. If it is then it has blown american horror story out of the water.

It's in another league compared to AHS.

One would hope so - considering I bailed on AHS mid season 3 and have no intention of going back. Thinking about it, this was probably the underlying reason I was hesitant of trying this show after hearing it was an anthology show about the macabre.

I don't quite know where the idea that this was an anthology show came from -- I certainly thought it was, and a lot of other people seem to have as well, but apparently it's not; the same characters will feature in season 2. Season 1 does tell a closed story in terms of its primary plot, but there are dangling threads that season 2 will pick up on, so pretty much like a lot of serialized tv. Maybe the creators gave some early interviews last year that gave us all this idea? I know that by the time it was about half-way through airing they were being unambiguous about hoping for another season so they could carry on with the same characters and plotlines.

Am watching season 1 now myself. Very happy so far. May have found my horror / gothic cable show [based on limited exposure the others don't quite work for me.]

• 1 month later...

http://screenrant.com/penny-dreadful-season-2-featurette/

Featurette. Spoiler-y for the storyline next season

Not much mention of Dorian. I really hope they do something with him, otherwise he feels very redundant

But otherwise I am excited :)

Eta: also, premiere dates for both US and UK pushed back to May

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s238/penny-dreadful/news/a628162/penny-dreadful-season-2-gets-new-uk-air-date-following-us-delay.html#~p6ii9N9iHxt01F

http://screenrant.com/penny-dreadful-season-2-featurette/

Featurette. Spoiler-y for the storyline next season

Not much mention of Dorian. I really hope they do something with him, otherwise he feels very redundant

But otherwise I am excited :)

Eta: also, premiere dates for both US and UK pushed back to May

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s238/penny-dreadful/news/a628162/penny-dreadful-season-2-gets-new-uk-air-date-following-us-delay.html#~p6ii9N9iHxt01F

Thank you for sharing! I also...

...agree that there's nothing much about DG, but looking back at season 1, he didn't have a lot to play there either. I mean, even though he had his moments with Brona, Vanessa and Ethan he wasn't a player in the events of the plot, he was just there. My guess is that his importance would be downplayed until the end of the season, probably regarding his immortality. But I'm excited! It looks stylished than ever (that bathtub!) and I genuinely curious about what can be worse than the devil!

Thank you for sharing! I also...

...agree that there's nothing much about DG, but looking back at season 1, he didn't have a lot to play there either. I mean, even though he had his moments with Brona, Vanessa and Ethan he wasn't a player in the events of the plot, he was just there. My guess is that his importance would be downplayed until the end of the season, probably regarding his immortality. But I'm excited! It looks stylished than ever (that bathtub!) and I genuinely curious about what can be worse than the devil!

A pissed off God is probably worse than the Devil. I imagine Dorian may be dealing with no tgetting what he wants for the first time with his rejection. I think he works pretty well in the background.

I'm looking forward to this way more than GOT.

Me too. I think if done well this should be better than Season 1 was. I mean, I enjoyed the first season despite its flaws, but this looks even better, at least from the trailer and featurette.

Lord Bowie:

Yeah, I know Dorian was not a main character last season :) That was my issue, he felt unecessary and I was hoping that they would give him a bit more of a role this Season, even if its not all that connected to the others. Though I suppose, since the featurette mentions Vanessa and Ethan's attraction to ewch other, he could play into that. He was sexually involved with both of them, but was rejected by Vanessa in the end. I suppose he could be jealous, and desperate for her attentions? :dunno:

^Me too. Pacing was a problem. A lot of bulid up for Mina, but the pay off didn't deliver. Still, it was gorgeous to look at and the performances were generally great and, since it's only 8 eps, I'll probably watch season 2,too.

• 1 month later...

To anyone that gets the Audience channel (I think it's a Directv exclusive), you can watch the first episode of season 2 early on 4/20 at 10pm.

I watched it last night, Comcast On Demand had it. When is it supposed to air? I want to see what you guys think.

Archived