Football 61 - The Story Continues

Alex.

Previously United may have been able to overcome the money issues somewhat by appealing to the chance of working with Ferguson himself, and being assured of being in the thick of it for every trophy. Under Moyes neither of those can make up for the money gap anymore.

The first certainly is true, the second... well, maybe not quite true yet. Regardless of Fergie leaving, I think Man U can still to be considered one of the three most likely teams in the EPL to be 'in the thick of it for every trophy', particularly in Europe. For that to stop being true, we'd need at least two or three years of Man U being uncompetitive, and we're not really there yet. Results are poor, but Man U do have the infrastructure and the ability to pay massive wages if required. Comparisons with Liverpool are premature.

I thought part of the problem was United being a bit less friendly towards agents and their...needs. Surely this can be remedied relatively cheaply?

Perhaps, but it's certainly not the biggest issue. Any player and any club knows that City or Chelsea are willing and able to outbid Man U if necessary, on transfer fees or wages. Maybe FFP will start to close that gap, though I remain to be convinced.

Man Utd have had to put their plans for a summer tour of the USA on hold in case they have to qualify for the Europa League.

Manchester United have been forced to put their pre-season plans on hold with a proposed tour of the United States at risk of being cut short by qualifying commitments in the Europa League.

United had been due to embark on a three-week tour of North America in mid-July to coincide with the launch of the club's £53m-a-year shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet.

But with the team's disastrous form leaving the club currently lying in seventh position - six points adrift of Champions League qualification - plans to undertake a promotional tour of the States have been shelved until a clearer picture emerges of which European competition David Moyes's men will compete in next season.

:(

Archived