Football 61 - The Story Continues

Alex.

Ah ffs how are we going to make the top 4 if we can't take care of the likes of Villa. I'm absolutely gutted by this result. We played really poorly, I honestly don't know why Kolo Toure & Cissokho are even part of our roster. I think the Quarterback-Gerrard thing isn't working, he got torn to shreds in the first half. So clearly we need Lucas to start AND we need to get this Salah fella signed or try by all means to get Assaidi back.

I think you can chalk his lack of goals against top half teams down to poor service, I mean Coutinho has looked off his best for a while now, while Sterling's final delivery is still very much suspect. Keep in mind also that Sturridge was missing for most of the festive season(where we had our hardest run of games). So basically what I'm saying is, I blame his lack of goals against top half teams(who have higher quality players) on the lack of top quality support around him.

There's certainly truth in that argument, but I don't think it's the whole story. For me, while he's a more than willing runner and his willingness to hassle defenders is a great boon, his movement is not particularly intelligent or owt, and as a result, he struggles to find room against more organised defences.

I think the problem is highlighted by the fact that Suarez has no goals whatsoever against the top half whereas Sturridge, despite having played much less, has three, four, or five, depending on how you count his goals against Villa in this respect...

He's got about 4 goals in 7 games against sides in the top half, that's a pretty good return. When you think those seven games include probably the three toughest fixtures in the league away to Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal I'm not overly concerned.

Maybe with all this diving Suarez is looking for a transfer to Man United in the Summer?

BFC - from yesterday, I am pretty gutted we only scored four. Looks like a deplorable slip in standards at home.

I can't help but wonder just how bad Gerrard would have to play for the commentators to actually criticise him. He gave the ball away in dangerous positions three times in the opening twenty minutes and even after that the game just completely passed him by. Yet not a word was said against him during the match. And after scoring a penalty I'm sure he wouldn't get a score of less than 7/10 from any of the papers.

Archived