Put away the GNC, we already have a new King in the North

Salinda

You know what else is repeated often? "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell". Took only 2 books to prove that notion wrong.

The Southerners may be used to better climates, but that doesn't mean that the Northerners are some super humans who can survive in low temperatures. No, they'll freeze to death as even Lord Wull realizes. And you don't get more Northern than the Wulls

How is "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" proved wrong?? Take the Starks out of Winterfell and look what happened to the North!

I'm not saying there won't be any casualties in the North. Just that they will be able to withstand it better.

This is incorrect. The Wulls who are more Northern than anyone know that they'll die when winter comes, with tears frozen on their cheeks. Add in the fact that the North has the Others to deal with and a shattered army and you have an absolute catastrophe on your hands.

The North won't survive anything, they'll be the worst off this coming winter. And it all could have been avoided it Robb never squandered Northern resources on a pointless war. Their deaths on his hands

The whole Realm will have to deal with the Others. They are not going to march down the Kingsroad like a wave of mindless zombies.

I'll just recommend The King's Prize chapter to show you how do the summer knights fare in winter when the northmen laugh their arses off at them. That is how it'll look when the winter comes South, all the way down to Dorne.

I am starting to suspect that OP is on some fine trolling.

How is "There must always be a Stark in Winterfell" proved wrong?? Take the Starks out of Winterfell and look what happened to the North!

I'm not saying there won't be any casualties in the North. Just that they will be able to withstand it better.

The North was on its decline even when Bran and Rickon were in Winterfell. In fact, they had to flee Winterfell because of what another Stark did. The North was ruined by the Starks, not by the lack of them

And as I've said before, they're human. Sure they've had to endure some tough winters, but now they're older and weaker. They have not that much food, because of the constant war and Ironborn reaving. They won't withstand it any better than the South. And as I keep stating, the Others are going to attack the North first. Please tell me what they plan to do about that, after they've spent themselves fighting each other

The whole Realm will have to deal with the Others. They are not going to march down the Kingsroad like a wave of mindless zombies.

I'll just recommend The King's Prize chapter to show you how do the summer knights fare in winter when the northmen laugh their arses off at them. That is how it'll look when the winter comes South, all the way down to Dorne.

I am starting to suspect that OP is on some fine trolling.

The whole Realm, but first they'll have to get through the North.

Unless the Others are stopped at the Wall completely, the North will see its fair share of damage. In fact, I anticipate the Others not even crossing the Neck. So the North will get all of the Otherly love :)

Northerners laugh, but they are now on a suicide mission because they rather die at war than freezing in their huts like they know they will,

Yeah. Why would the North want a king, you know, from the North, when they can crown some Southerner who is in a very weak position?

Because this "weak Southerner" is bringing law, order and justice back to a chaotic and divided North. Sure he's not a great Stark, but he is doing more for the North than Robb ever did, as I've outlined in my original post. He is worth following because he is a great, competent leader who will take their sacrifices seriously unlike a 15 year old chump with the right last name or whatever other fool they'll crown

The whole Realm, but first they'll have to get through the North.

Unless the Others are stopped at the Wall completely, the North will see its fair share of damage. In fact, I anticipate the Others not even crossing the Neck. So the North will get all of the Otherly love :)

Northerners laugh, but they are now on a suicide mission because they rather die at war than freezing in their huts like they know they will,

Why would they have to through the North first? There is no indication of the Others being restricted in movement (apart from the Wall) as long as they bring their winter with them. It makes more sense for them to raise the hell in the densely populated South at first before trying to take down thin populated North.

The North will take its damage, but so will South as the North is simply better prepared and more used to winter (once again The King's Prize chapter clearly shows that).

Only the old Northeners are going to die as they are likely to die in winter (as will the old people in the South). There is no sign of the productive ones wanting to die or not being able to survive the winter.

Because this "weak Southerner" is bringing law, order and justice back to a chaotic and divided North. Sure he's not a great Stark, but he is doing more for the North than Robb ever did, as I've outlined in my original post. He is worth following because he is a great, competent leader who will take their sacrifices seriously unlike a 15 year old chump with the right last name or whatever other fool they'll crown

Believe it or not, last names matter in Westeros. And its already obvious that "law" (Which is bakced by force) is what the winners will establish in order to keep their power, no matter where they are from.

Why would they have to through the North first? There is no indication of the Others being restricted in movement (apart from the Wall) as long as they bring their winter with them. It makes more sense for them to raise the hell in the densely populated South at first before trying to take down thin populated North.

The North will take its damage, but so will South as the North is simply better prepared and more used to winter (once again The King's Prize chapter clearly shows that).

Only the old Northeners are going to die as they are likely to die in winter (as will the old people in the South). There is no sign of the productive ones wanting to die or not being able to survive the winter.

Well the forefront of their invasion will be the North. They'll destroy whatever is in their path on their march downwards.

The North is used to Winter, but are they used to the Others? Nope

Alot of the productive, young ones are dead already thanks to the war and Ironborn.

Believe it or not, last names matter in Westeros. And its already obvious that "law" (Which is bakced by force) is what the winners will establish in order to keep their power, no matter where they are from.

Ahh you seem to misunderstand me

I am not advocating for the Northerners to crown Stannis King in the North, no. The very notion of an independent North is one I find ridiculous. What I am in favor for, is the North declaring for Stannis as King of Westeros instead of crowning a second Stark King in the North and attempting to secede yet again as some people speculate in theories such as the Great Northern Conspiracy

The North was on its decline even when Bran and Rickon were in Winterfell. In fact, they had to flee Winterfell because of what another Stark did. The North was ruined by the Starks, not by the lack of them

And as I've said before, they're human. Sure they've had to endure some tough winters, but now they're older and weaker. They have not that much food, because of the constant war and Ironborn reaving. They won't withstand it any better than the South. And as I keep stating, the Others are going to attack the North first. Please tell me what they plan to do about that, after they've spent themselves fighting each other

The Starks have ruled the North for thousands of years. And the North is in ruins now because the Starks were betrayed.

If you truly feel that the Southerners are going to come out better off than the Northerners after and endless winter, you're missing a big theme in the series.

Well the forefront of their invasion will be the North. They'll destroy whatever is in their path on their march downwards.

The North is used to Winter, but are they used to the Other? Nope

Alot of the productive, young ones are dead already thanks to the war and Ironborn.

Once again you assume that they'll march South like a zombie wave which is by no means a fact.

The winter is the worst things about the Others. Their greatest weapon is cold. Northeners are used to some of it, Southeners are not used to anything.

Few thousand men among the population of millions? I think they'll do.

If you truly feel that the Southerners are going to come out better off than the Northerners after and endless winter, you're missing a big theme in the series.

Basically this

No. Stannis has done a terrible job of ruling the North. He doesn't understand the locals. The crofter's village is a perfect example of how terrible a ruler Stannis would make. He's secluded himself from everyone else, left his men to starve to death, and burned people alive for committing a crime he consider himself in his youth, all the while suffering significantly greater casualties then the Northerns who have little patience for him, his men, and his religion.

The Starks have ruled the North for thousands of years. And the North is in ruins now because the Starks were betrayed.

The North is in ruins now because of a series of poor choices made by the Starks. They weren't simply betrayed. In fact many reprisals they recieve (such as Theon taking Winterfell and to an extent the Red Wedding) are well deserved

Do I believe that that people with more food and less ice monsters are going to come out on top over those with snow to eat and Others to keep them company? Yes. It's simply the logical conclusion. I don't believe the Northerners are some master race

The North is in ruins now because of a series of poor choices made by the Starks. They weren't simply betrayed. In fact many reprisals they recieve (such as Theon taking Winterfell and to an extent the Red Wedding) are well deserved

Do I believe that that people with more food and less ice monsters are going to come out on top over those with snow to eat and Others to keep them company? Yes. It's simply the logical conclusion. I don't believe the Northerners are some master race

How did they deserve the RW and Theon betraying them?

Stannis, in my opinion, which is rough to say since he's one of my favorite characters, will not be king of anything. I personally believe that he's the big character death at the end of TWOW when an Other shatters Lightbringer at Winterfell while Jon's leading the evacuation back to the Neck/White Harbor, but that's just me. Stannis is more than likely the person that begins to bring the Stark kids back to Winterfell through ways such as loyal subordinates(Davos/Rickon) or just outright necessity(Jon).

No, Stannis is not going to be king of anything, but he will offer Shireen's hand in marriage to Rickon, thereby giving the Northmen something to fight for in the South after his death and the Ice-pocalypse. Shireen's hand in marriage is like Robb's will; it's merely a Chekhov's gun that's been kept back for the right time to be used by a Stark, in this case, Rickon. Jon can be Stark(or Targ, or Snow[please this]) due to Robb's will, and he could even lead the armies of the North in Rickon's name, as his regent.

My point is, wrt this post, Stannis cannot be the King in the North. The northmen want a Stark in Winterfell, and IMO would actually kneel to Stannis if a Shireen/Rickon match is made, but only a Stark can rule the North. Just read the biggest juxtaposition between books in Feast and Dance. Feast is about the legacy of Tywin Lannister, whose accomplishments in life unravel quickly after his death. Dance is about Ned Stark, and how, even nearly 2 years after his death, he still has people fighting for his daughter. That's fucking die-hard loyalty; literally if you take the clan chief with Stannis at his word.

OP is a sweet summer child.

Hard places breed hard men. If there is one region that will survive the Long Night, it'll be the North.

If you put a bushman in a tundra and blizzard, he'll freeze. Natives will survive.

And there is no place for honor in any of this.

:agree: This! Finally someone with common sense.

Archived