Prediction: Jaime's Final Act

Taylor O' Sevens

That's interesting, but I think (f)Aegon will be getting to KL fairly soon and Jaime is (yet again) lost somewhere in the Riverlands. Last time it took him almost two full books to get back to KL and that was with Brienne protecting him, not leading him to Lady Stoneheart.

I agree. the timelines is the fly in the OP's ointment. Jaime's going to last well-past Aegon's campaign.

someone else suggested night's watch. I think that's more likely. maybe a re-constituted night's watch, after the NW falls apart and is mostly killed off by the wildlings due to jon's attempted assassination, which breaks some kind of spell and let's the others through; as part of beating back the others the NW has to be re-constituted.

Or, Jaime goes out with Cersei, as or after he kills her.

AMAZING theory that I'm now a supporter (for the most part) of:

http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.com/2013/05/jaime-azor-ahai-god-of-war.html

I love the Norse mythos tie-ins, at least the notion of them. I do recall from somewhere that GRRM was quite into that himself.

That said, I vaguely recall from a night of reading through GRRM quotes (So Spake Martin?), getting a strong impression that GRRM likes to set convention on its ear.

So, that Norse theory stuff may have big nuggets of value in predicting what may be...or not. :-)

I predict Jaime's arc will come full circle in the novel with him dying defending Tommen from Aegon's forces. It makes sense since his character arc is all about seeking redemption and working towards upholding oaths. What better way to redeem himself than doing the one thing a kingsguard Knight is sworn to do?

I think this arc belongs to our boy Ser Barristan. Still think Jaime and Cerci is a murder suicide

AMAZING theory that I'm now a supporter (for the most part) of:

http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.com/2013/05/jaime-azor-ahai-god-of-war.html

Thanks for pointing this out. This theory is the most complete answer I have seen to the big questions looming over the entire series. I definitely believe Norse Mythology greatly influenced GRRM, but it is not his only influence and I am skeptical about whether he will continue to follow the myths or veer off in another direction. We can only wait and see and of course continue speculating.

I 100% love the theory of Jaime going to Jon and becoming his Criston Cole...the Kingslayer becomes the Kingmaker.

I like this too.

I think we'll have a much better idea, maybe get some foreshadowing, of this after the new season of the show. The trailer shows Jaime with the White Book. If Loras is in that scene as well, maybe we'll get the story...

I think it almost seems too obvious that Jaime is destined to kill Cersei... which leads me to believe he won't. Definitely could see Arya being the one to do the deed.

Would be pretty cool to see Jaime end up on the Wall, but I would really like to see him have an interaction with Dany. Someone has to tell her of her fathers madness, who better then the man who slayed him? I would love to see it. A Barristan/Jaime dialogue would be nice too, I know Barristan doesn't really care for Jaime.

He'll be brought to Stoneheart for a final confrontation. But then, Bran Stark will somehow enter, wanting revenge for Jaime trying to kill him. Then, Arya enters. She's completed her faceless mission and has been sent to kill him. Then, Daenerys enters. She wants to kill him to gain justice for her father and question him on the matter. Then, Aegon enters. He wants justice for Jaime killing his grandfather. Then Stannis enters. He wants Jaime dead because he's a Kingslayer. Then Cersei enters. She's angry that Jaime never came to her rescue. Then, Tyrion enters. He's still sort of angry that Jaime lied to him. Then, Varys enters. He wants to end the Lannister regime.

A massive argument ensues about who should get to kill Jaime and how. Jaime puts on his troll sunglasses and wargs into a faceless Benjen Stark, a secret Targaryen.

I think Jaime needs to see Bran face-to-face before he dies or leaves Westeros.

I also think he is to valuable a hostage to hang with Edmure in Casterly Rock.

Also, I think Cersei and Jaime's belief that they will leave the world together is the sort of melodramatic nonsense grounded the belief they are special in ways other men are not that is going to swept under the rising tide.

Ultimately, I would like to see Jaime take the black as a final atonement for his many sins.

It pretty much lost me with the first two sentences, "What is a savior? If we take the example of Jesus, a savior is someone who defends the weak from the powerful. In other words, someone who defends people from other people."

How do you not know what kind of savior Jesus is? And if you don't, don't use him as an example! He saves people from their sins, or rather the damnation that follows from their sins. He PREACHED protection of the weak, but being one of the weak himself he did very little of that himself. I guess there is that sinner he saved from stoning with his "he who has not sinned throw the first stone" claim.

Yeah, admittedly, that part threw me off as a bad example. But, bad interpretation of theology aside, I find it a more interesting theory than R+L=J and would feel much more like GRRM.

Jaime has to live long enough to fight Robert Strong alongside Brienne in the Hound's helmet. Since Jaime is the one armored like the sun, and Brienne is the "burned man," from Bran's coma vision.

He just assumed it was a man because the helm conceals the face, Brienne is going to be a big, flatchested, obscured form inside armour and her face will be hidden. You may be able to see a little skin, enough to see that its horribly disfigured in some way. Cat makes the same assumption when she first sees Brienne fighting in Renly's tourney.

The real question is who will survive the encounter...Probably not Brienne, even though I like her so much. Plus, he'll probably be Kingmaker 2.0.

I think it almost seems too obvious that Jaime is destined to kill Cersei... which leads me to believe he won't. Definitely could see Arya being the one to do the deed.

It'd be a stretch for Jaime to be the "little brother" that kills Cersei. If Arya facechanges to look like Tyrion, she'd get her vengeance and that'd be two little 'brothers'.

Early on in the 3rd book, before his hand is cut off, Jaime reflects that he is going to honor his oath to send Sansa back home and her sister if he can find her because he thinks it would be amusing to honor an oath that so many people assume he will betray. This is well before we see a major change in character for Jaime where he starts to become the good and honorable knight. He is also keeping his promise to not raise swords against the Riverlands with his deft end to the Riverrun siege. Sansa is still out there somewhere with Brienne looking for her and Jaime very much interested in the results of Breinne's search.

For these reasons, I do not think Jaime's story arc will end with Lady Stoneheart. I am of the mind that somehow both Jaime and Brienne survive the encounter. I'm scatter shooting a bit here, but I think they end up somewhere near the Quiet Isle, have a run-in with Sandor and/or The Blackfish and learn of a young and beautiful bastard daughter that Littlefinger has been claiming to have up in the Vale. Since both Jaime and Sandor are well aware of Littlefinger and he had never even hinted at having any kind of offspring before, suspicions would certainly arise. They would present an interesting and formidable 4-some of travel companions to say the least...and I doubt it meshes very well with Littlefinger's plans for Sansa.

Jaime, Sandor, Breinne AND the Blackfish all traveling together?

That would single-handedly make up for any wait beween books. Can you imagine the arguments every night around the campfire?

Archived