The "Malazan Book of the Fallen" thread.

Doppelganger

Sounds cool, thanks for the info you've given sofar Pat.

No problem! :D

About 125 pages to go and a major "fuck me" moment just happened. And I mean MAJOR. Totally unanticipated, I'm shocked!

There's a big party on Lether, and it appears that quite a few people who weren't on the guestlist are showing up anyway... :wideeyed:

Needless to say, expect the unexpected.

Patrick

Well, based on the Dramatis Personae of Reaper's Gale, it's going to be quite a party! The index of characters alone takes 6 pages!

Six pages? The Dramatis personae for MT was only 3, so that's a huge cast of characters indeed.

Hmm. How is the spacing on the proof, Pat? The proofs I've received from Gollancz seem to be a bit different in spacing format from the release copy of the book (and I'll be able to tell for sure when I have RSUS and can compare it to my release copy of Locke Lamora). So six pages on the proof may not be six pages in the finished book. Still sounds like a lot more than normal though.

The page proofs I have for Reaper's Gale are replica of what you'll get in the novel format. So yes, 6 pages is quite a lot. But there's quite a crowd in this one, all the more since there are a few surprises that are not part of the Dramatis Personae...

Also, keep in mind that Reaper's Gale is a bit longer than both Memories of Ice and The Bonehunters, making it the biggest Malazan book thus far.

Only about 80 pages left! ;)

Patrick

Man, I just finished Reaper's Gale. And let me tell you, what a book! :smoking:

I have to admit that the body count is quite surprising. Heck, even GRRM would nod in approval, incredulous himself! ;)

I'll have to read my notes (31 handwritten pages) before I can collect my thoughts and write that review. In one of my interviews last year, SE mentioned how he loved to use misdirection and how everything was now so convulated it was unbelievable. Well, never has it been more apparent than in Reaper's Gale. Whatever you think is going to happen, well it doesn't -- at least nowhere near the way you envisioned.

In my opinion, it's one of the best in the bunch, second only to Memories of Ice and Deadhouse Gates. However, like The Bonehunters, it's not self-contained. But now that the author is bringing together all those disparate threads, there is no way for the Malazan volumes to stand on their own the way the first 5 did. Still, this book moves the story forward like none of its predecessors. And yes, there are a couple of cliffhangers.

All in all, I think it will satisfy Malazan fans around the world and, more importantly, make them beg for more! :drool: I know I am!

Expect the book review in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

Patrick

Where's the line Cali? :D I'll gladly take a spot!

Pat's review was brilliant and has put my expectations, anticipation and just-get-med-the-damn-book-now-need thru the roof, up in the sky and out into the atmosphere!

Ffs roll on May! :tantrum:

Pat

A bit off-topic, but do you know when you'll have the interview with Scott Bakker up? Did you ask him about The Aspect Emperor?

Scott is really busy at the moment, so he asked me to do the Q&A with him around May. Of course I'll ask him about The Aspect-Emperor! What he'll answer, though, is beyond my control! ;)

Patrick

Not yet. . .

Got the email when I came back from a Bar class, and Transworld was already closed because of the different time zones. I've emailed SE's publicist to get more info on the limited edition. At the moment, the only thing I know is that she has a copy for my giveaway. :)

Patrick

Just flipped through the paperback of TBH in Waterstones. The new cover isn't too bad actually in person, and it does stand out from the shelves quite boldly. Oddly, the book has bigger type than MoI, so it doesn't appear to be any longer than that book after all. It also has the prologue to Reaper's Gale in the back. Most curious is that the ALSO BY STEVEN ERIKSON inner cover has the previous edition covers for the series, suggesting they may not get round to replacing the covers of the first five books for a while.

Archived