The "Malazan Book of the Fallen" thread.

Doppelganger

I'm just a few chapters in, but thus far it has a Midnight Tides feel to it... Of course, no major shit has occurred just yet. :)

When Erikson's agent wrote that post on malazanempire.com, I remember him saying that it's in the second half of the book that the shit really hits the fan.

All I can say is that Silchas Ruin looks like he's one kick-ass character! ;)

Patrick

Hey Pat,

How far are you with the book and what are your thoughts sofar? Anything particular that has pleased you sofar in terms of storylines or characters?

I'm really loving it so far! :D I'm about 300 pages in, which means that I have a third of Reaper's Gale read.

There is a most interesting new character called Redmask (the one who comes upon the slain foreigners in the prologue). I found him intriguing from the get-go, and then SE dropped the bomb as to who he truly is. Can't wait to learn more about him! Someone from MoI makes an appearance, which I found surprising because I didn't expect to see that characters until Toll the Hounds.

The Silchas Ruin storyline is also interesting, as he and the others search for Scabandari Bloodeye. Tehol and Bugg still live on that rooftop and they're as funny as ever.

But now that both Icarium and Karsa have arrived in Lether, both Champions set to face Rhulad, I can't wait to see what will happen.

There are 4 books contained in Reaper's Gale. There first one has a Midnight Tides feel to it, but the second one is bringing a lot of different plotlines together. Like in The Bonehunters, it feels as though Erikson is tightening up the story quite a bit. Still, even though we already have countless characters in this series, SE introduces us to new ones at every turn...

I'm not going to say more right now, but it sure looks like this is going to be one of the fantasy books to read this year! ;) Will tell you more later, spoiler-free, of course!

Patrick

Pat, I'm wondering about the timeline. Is part of the story set immediately after Midnight Tides then we leap forward to post-The Bonehunters, or does the story take place across such a long period of time it just naturally covers the intervening 1-2 years?

Or does he handle it in a completely different way?

I'm currently about a third of the way through Memories of Ice, and as most of you know, SE is finally fleshing out the mythos of his world. Very interesting stuff, and so I far I like it the best of the three. I just ordered House of Chains from amazon so I can finally get the gist of this Karsa fellow everyone seems to rant about :smash:

Pat, I'm wondering about the timeline. Is part of the story set immediately after Midnight Tides then we leap forward to post-The Bonehunters, or does the story take place across such a long period of time it just naturally covers the intervening 1-2 years?

Or does he handle it in a completely different way?

It's a post-The Bonehunters timeline. There are a couple of scenes in which the POV character looks back upon what occurred right after the events of Midnight Tides and led to Trull's Shorning, as well as what took place in the following months (the Tiste Edur fleets leaving Lether, with Rhulad sending the most powerful members of his entourage for fear that they will try to betray him, all the while growing more insane and being gradually isolated from the other Edur by "enterprising" Letherii).

Other than that, I believe the narrative occurs months following The Bonehunters, basically as long as it took the Edur fleets to sail back to Lether. So although there are a few hints here and there of what's been happening in Lether and elsewhere since Midnight Tides, the bulk of the tale -- thus far -- follows the events chronicled in the last Malazan volume.

From Shurq's storyline, it appears that it's been about two years since Midnight Tides, since she's been at sea for more than 20 months...

Patrick

Cheers Pat!

Now we just need those damned maps...

Any clues as to geography in Book 7? I'm guessing the fleet sails west from Seven Cities and lands on the east coast of Lether (unseen on the MT maps), so hopefully we'll get maps of that area.

Cheers Pat!

Now we just need those damned maps...

Any clues as to geography in Book 7? I'm guessing the fleet sails west from Seven Cities and lands on the east coast of Lether (unseen on the MT maps), so hopefully we'll get maps of that area.

Can't really tell which maps will be included, as the page proofs didn't come with them. I reckon the map of Letheras will be there once again. Other than that, it will probably include a more detailed map of Lether. Since portions of the continent we haven't seen yet -- Bluerose, just to name that one -- see some action, I think we might get an expanded map of Lether.

I've just finished Book 2 and guess who just dropped in to join in the festivities!?! The Malazan fleet! ;) I'm really curious as to what they'll be doing on Lether. God knows there is enough happening as things stand. Methinks that the addition of Fiddler, Stormy, Gesler, Bottle, Tavore and the rest of the gang will only mean even more fireworks!

Patrick

Damn. Damn, damn, damn, damn. I already wanted to read this book, but know I really want to read it. I think I'm going to have to freeze myself until the release date.

Pat,

Thanks so much for the spoiler free synopsis so far. Can't wait to read your final review.

Okay, so I still have about 350 pages to go and it's too early to say for certain, but so far Reaper's Gale is the best Malazan novel since Memories of Ice.

In my book at least! ;)

Patrick

Well, considering he was with Tavore and co (IIRC), I'd say it's quite likely that Quick Ben is in it.

I'd be more interested if Team Mappo are in it (surely Mappo won't abandon Icarium?). If not, then most likely they were heading from Otataral Island to Genabackis at the end of TBH, and we'll link up with them in Toll the Hounds.

I'm more interested who the character from MoI is. Maybe Kruppe? Or it's Anomander Rake in the prologue or a flashback and Pat is messing with our heads!

No, I'm not messing with you guys! Someone we haven't seen since MoI is in Reaper's Gale...

Quick Ben is there, as well. But not with Tavore. As you'll recall, he found himself facing Icarium to protect the T'lan Imass First Throne.

Patrick

Archived